Dermatology Expert Forum
Flea bites or chicken mites?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Flea bites or chicken mites?

We have backyard chickens. We most recently had a small dog and cat we rescued. My wife recently attended a birthday party at a friends house. That friend later told us her dog had fleas. We no longer have our dog or cat. My wife is being covered in small red itchy bites of some kind almost daily. We don't have bed bugs. She thinks its chicken mites even though she never handles the chickens or come remotely close to them. I think her friend gave us fleas. I our son and daughter don't seem to have any bites. My wife is the only one and is kind of freaking out. I don't know how to upload pics or even if its allowed but any help would be greatly appreciated.
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Thanks for posting your query.

Such an itchy rash can be due to allergies, folliculitis or insect bites. Ask her to get it examined from a dermatologist and get it ruled out. If other family members also show similar symptoms then scabies should be ruled out.

Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can be used but may cause drowsiness. Your wife should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing.

She should avoid scratching as if scratching breaks open the skin, bacterial infection can set in. And if scratching continues for many months or years, the area that is scratched may develop thickened skin.  Use non-allergenic soaps and then apply soothing skin lotion to provide smoothness and cooling effect. She can also apply calamine lotion.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now