Fleshy Plugs Under Skin In Pores on Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

5821882?1277167584
there is a spot on my nose that i've rubbed raw washing, trying to get these "things" out of my pores.  these are not whiteheads, nor blackheads.  these are clusters of white or fleshy hard and sticky plugs-- not filled with anything, but they stick straight out from the pores. They are not bumps.  If I rub the area w/ a towel they do not rub off at all.  I tried to remove one with tweezers, and it was very tacky (as in sticky)  and clearly goes deep under the skin.  Part of it broke off but I could still see that the pore was plugged and a day or two later top of the plug was sticking out again. i can't find ANYTHING online that looks like it.  
Without examination, confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be a sebaceous cyst or a cutaneous horn. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts.

A cutaneous horn is a conical projection above the surface of the skin that resembles a miniature horn. Cutaneous horns usually are asymptomatic.But sometimes they can become inflamed and cause pain.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello,  I sent you a friend request last night but I do not know if it went through.  I have the very same condition and I am not insured so I can't see a dermatologist. These breakouts are a nightmare and take forever to heal.  Mine never heal until all pieces of the plugs are removed and by then I have dug so deep into my face to get them out till I am embarrassed to go out in public.  I have searched the web till my fingers were numb trying to find an answer and solution and I was so relieved to see your post.  I do not know if stomach ulcers can cause this but I have noticed both flaring up simultaneously.  I would like to find out what type acne this is and how to prevent/treat it.  Could you please keep me updated on your progress.  Thanks and I hope you are doing better.  
the doctors frankly are stumped and i'm also at the end of my rope. they did a biopsy shortly after i did this post, and nothing specific came back. i've had it treated w/ medication (pills and topical) and also laser and it'll seem to look a little better for a few days but then i'm almost to square 1. it just will not seem to heal. just today they decided to do a second biopsy, because they also find it odd and worrisome. they did diagnose me with rosacea b/c in general i am very pink with capillaries close to the skin. i blush very easily and  when i get hot my face turns ruddy. but they just do not know what this specific area on my nose is being caused by so here i sit w/ more bandages and more of my nose shaved off.

i am sorry about not having insurance and having to worry through this alone. I will post if I find anything.
PS It is not a subcutaneous cyst or horn as the gentleman thought it might be from the picture. I realize how hard it is to try to diagnose from a tiny picture, and I do appreciate his efforts.
I have something similar. Hard whitish things sticking out of my pores on my nose, cheeks, chin and my jawline. ‎​​I hav beenn searching the web for answers but to no avail. they stick out like small hard white hairs. ‎​​I try to press them out without hurting my skin buh that's ‎​​so impossible because they are under all my pores ‎​​so my pores look swollen and raised. Pls let me know if you find out anything. Thank you. Hope you are better.
Are you freak'in kidding me!!!! I have finally heard the story of my face from you! Exactly what you described is my dilema also. I cant stand these things! No one seems to know what they are!!  And yes, untill I get them all out the spot will not heal. I have a spot I'm working on now that I nhave had for at least 4 mths. And it will leave a slight scar. Have you gotten any farther in finding any solutions? It kills me that we can fly to the moon, do brain and heart surgerys, have cures for crazy things but not a stupid little white plug in our face!!! Please let me hear from you on your search. ps i am 45 and this just started about  2 yrs ago, what the heck!!! sherri
hey sky any news on the face plugs? sherri
Ive had this same condition for going on 10 years off and on, they can spead like a plage and hurt oh so godly bad, past few months mine have been dissappearing, the only difference is that Ibe started using a new soap by St Ives, its Hypoallerginic and 100% natural ingedients, Its called St Ives Exfollating with sea kelp and mineral salt, I suggest you give this a try, the soap will burn a bit on newly opened sores but Ive had them clear up within a matter of days after using this, its cheap and can be store bought and its worth giving a try! It works on me! :)
Thanks for the tip.
Sorry others have the same stuff I do. I just turned 41 and have had these issues forever. They start out with a little burning and itching, grow into a red lump, and will not pop like a normal pimple. Of course after washing and messing with them, they always open into a sore and there they are... the white things The sores will not heal until all the white things are pulled out (usually with tweezers). When I finally went to the dermatoligists and told her this she looked at me like I was crazy. She could not tell me what they are and how to get rid of them. This last time I was sick when I broke up in several on the neck, face, & chest. The derm said I had folliculits and staph infection (probably from the open wounds). She said to leave the white things alone, that they would work themselves out on their own.. Basically she told me I was like a picker to feel the need to pull the white things out.. Of course I did not believe it. She told me to mess with one like normal and let one heal on its own as an experment. It bothered me so bad to not pull those white things out to hurry the healing as i feel so gross with the sores. I hate that she was right, but the 2nd sore I left alone healed faster. Day after day I could see the white things migrating up and out of the sore when I washed it. I kept it very clean and covered it with the little round bandaids. The reason I am sharing this is I have no answers to what they are, but I do know it makes us prone to staph infection with the open sores and trust me, it *****. They are so irratating, and were almost impossible for me to resist getting my faitful tweezers out and pulling at the white things. Those little round band aids help a lot :) If anyone learns anything new to help this, please let me know as i was given no info on how to prevent this.

I believe I know what you all are experiencing. I'm not a doctor, but I've had the same symptoms and sores that you describe. They are called cystic lesions or cystic acne. Additionally, because they have the word "cyst" in the name does not mean they are cancerous. They are benign. My doctor diagnosed me with them recently and they can occur for various reasons. In my case, it is a hormonal problem, so I have been put on oral contraceptives. I am uncertain whether all women may want to consider that as treatment, but that is what I'm using now. Topicals and stuff don't work, since it is a hormonal issue, they will keep coming back unless I have the medication.

As for guys, I'm not sure what the problem may be. You may want to visit your doctor and mention cystic acne as a possibility. Bring in some research from credible sources on the internet to back up your findings, as this is usually the only way a doctor will actually listen to you.

For those of you without insurance, there is another method you can try. My sister had these as well, not quite as bad as mine (or some of you with yours, for that matter) but we did some research and found that Nature's Cure works. It cleared hers up within six months. She also used the topical that came with it.

Moreover, both she and I are gluten intolerant. So, when we eliminated gluten from our diet, we both saw a significant decrease in these cystic lesions. Before going gluten free, I used to have five to seven of them on my face at a time, and usually all the time. Now I only get one or two every so often. They got worse around my period. When I mentioned this and other symptoms to my doctor, including giving her my research I did, she agreed it was the cystic acne.

I hope this information helps. Like I said, I'm not a doctor, but many of you said it isn't the cutaneous horns. Mine aren't either, so I'm assuming it is the condition I mentioned. I wish you the best!

- Nita
Sounds like a BIOFILM.  Very tough once they anchor in place.  They can be treated prior to the anchoring, or what the scientists call "colonization"....can't you just see the colonies and as they form, they stand up in place, unwilling to budge.  Caused by a variety of different pathogens, some from the soil being stirred up, to sewage backing up...also, if the doctors do not specify which disease to search for, in some cases, and if they don't put your sample on the correct medium, then you will miss a diagnosis.  Pseudomonas can also cause a nasty situation, along with infection from a tooth that hasn't had that root canal yet because you're too broke to put $1200 in your mouth.  In that case, you can get a bacteria that is fungal like in nature, throwing the apple cart upside down.  That one is called actinomyces israelii--little crystals-like sparkles thingies.  Other than the last disease, research showed a great deal of success for recovery with a good quality colloidal silver, believe it or not.  There was little success with antibiotics and hydrogen perioxide and other agents.  See, the biofilm is like a waxy thing and the disease is inside the wax coating, making it very difficult for antibiotics to reach.  I would imagine if it were on top of my nose, I would try and soak silver on pads and leave it on for several hours at a time, along with a trial run of ten days orally or so--not much silver, too.  Make sure you read the lable that you are getting silver, too, and not a homeopathic solution.  Another solution would be some powerful oils from a Chinese doctor, but you need the right doctor and the right solution or you are spinning your wheels.   Shame on doctors and specialists for discounting your condition and not giving you any answers.
check out Molluscum Contagiosum--yeah, you have to get the "corn" out for it to heal--or so we think.  It seems that more and more, dermatologists are quick to call us "pickers" and like to think we are self mutilating when they have no diagnosis at hand.  That was a good experiment, however.
also, should get a biospy to rule about a more serious condition.
I see you had one already; then it's a biofilm.
It's a staph infection - i had something that looked exactly like that and in the same spot. Initially suspected as MRSA, but the cultures indicated others - just regular staph. A ten-day course of oral antibiotics with a prescription cream took care of it. The only effective OTC cream that i've found for treating this is Curad's new silver antibiotic cream, but i doubt it would be very effective at eliminating yours, as it looks fairly deep.
These are enlarged sebaceous glands.  I get these all the time underneath any pimple I get.  The pimple comes back until I dig out the "bulb" deep under it.  I showed a dermatologist what I was doing, and she said I am pulling out the actual sebaceous glands!  This is self-surgery, and very dangerous.  Spirano-Lactone is a wonderful drug for calming this condition.
If this is the same thing I have, white are what feel like rough patches of skin, with little white things sticking out of the pores. They look like white heads, but they dont squeeze out quite as well or as easily as white heads can. I notice they go away for a few days if I do hot yoga, where I am sweating for 90 minutes, or after a long run. So cleaning from the inside out seems to be the case.

To be entirely honest i think its the body trying to detox. I didn't get these until I started drinking two 44oz sodas a day(because my job was stressin me). Processed foods have a lot of toxins and not many nutrients, and Ive read that if your body spends more time and energy trying to get rid of those toxins without enough energy from nutrients the body shuts other organs and processes down, to dedicate its energies to getting rid of toxins. My hair is thinning on top of this face thing. So ive decided to do the master cleanse to clean my body out.. ill let you all know if it works.
oops, sorry frankenkittie, my comment was meant towards everyone
I am a 40 y.o. female suffering from this same issue with the pores on my face. It started 3 years ago with a red spot right on the tip of my nose. I picked and dug out the little white plugs until they were gone, but scarring occured and now there is a crater on my nose, lol. The plugs "spread" over to my cheeks and chin. They have cleared up over the years but do flare up on occasion. The scarring from picking and digging at them is terrible (my own fault, I know). Just tonight I pulled the biggest plug yet from my chin, it left a bleeding wound. I've searched the internet as well without luck as to what this condition might be.
Same thing here. Started on nose in one cluster (at 50 yrs old), removed all white plugs and it finally after several months went away. Then it spread to cheeks, chin, forehead, even temples. It finally cleared up on forehead, temple areas but got very aggressive in smile line area of face and chin. Just when they look like they're going away and relatively smooth - except for the scars - all hell breaks loose. Now, it's also back to origin place on nose and it's horrible. It's a large area, painful and now severly cratered! It's been about eight months since this area went crazy. I too have been to 3 different Dermatologists and they look at me like I'm crazy. They think it's acne or milia but it doesn't quite sound the same to me after all my futile research. One website stated that Vitamin D supplementation can cause such problems. I was doing that a few months before this started so I was wondering if any of you were using Vit D? This condition will remove just about every ounce of self-esteem. I only go out when I have to work, get food, etc. Oh and it's been 4 years since this began. And, I did an experiement with a small area and left some of these little xxxxx in place. Yes it closes up but then it eventually swells back up and there they are. They have also fused together and come out in large "chunks". I've tried many natural remedies but still looking.
This may seem like an odd question, but do you have gasto-intestinal issues as well (cramping, constipation/diareah, mucous in stool, etc)? If so, you may be suffering from a fungal infection. I'd been getting progressively sicker over the past few years and none of the many specialists I went to could figure out the cause of my MANY symptoms (broad range, developed over time so they seemed unrelated). After doing my own research, I discovered I had severe yeast (candida albicans) overgrowth in my digestive tract & lungs, which made me susceptible to other fungal infections, including aspergillus (aspergillosis) which caused white sacks/spikes rooted deep in my skin to pop up on my ears, face, neck, thighs & chest. Topical Over The Counter (OTC) antifungal creams helped a little, but I found treating from the inside out by killing the fungus and boosting my immune system was the best approach. I highly recommend  Syntol by Andrew Arthur Medical to everyone fighting a fungal infection as it's an oral supplement containing many yeast digesting enzymes in addition to multiple strains of probiotic spores (spore germination = better  recolonization of good bacteria). Syntol can be purchased online and in select health stores like The Vitamin Shoppe). Oddly enough, the product I found to work BEST topically is a nasal wash I found at Walgreens called ALKALOL. It contains essential oils known for their antimicrobial  properties so i decided to apply it to my skin by saturating cotton rounds and applying it like you would a facial toner. This magical liquid did more for my skin in one day than the typical OTC antifungals had done in months (yes, MONTHS). I even pour some in my bath along with organic coconut oil (another antifungal) and Epsom salt (replaces magnesium in the body and eases discomfort by drawing out toxins).

Below is a link to the Candida Questionnaire developed by Dr. Crook which can help you determine if yeast or other fungi are negatively affecting your health. 
  http://www.flora-balance.com/candida_questionnaire_long.php
FYI I also recommend Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree liquid soap (one with the orange label) as it contains antimocrobial essential oils (does not clog pores or leave skin oily). Avoiding sugar & antibiotics was also key for me. I hope this helps!
Sorry for the additional posts, but I forgot to mention that applying plain yogurt to the skin (like a facial cream treatment) also helped me. Note: the yogurt must contain live active cultures and NO fruit or added sugars as many fungi thrive on sugar/carbs.
I have the same thing on my face.. I pick them out  with tweezers.. but recently I found out If I squeeze them with tweezers they push out but another one forms behind it.. So over and over I'm squeezing them with tweezers.. They are the worst.. Does anyone know what they are or how to treat them yet. I've noticed I seem to get them when I get stressed. Then I can't get rid of them so that makes me more stressed
I'll give you a diagnosis right now. It's RINGWORM.

I had the same exact thing for 8-9 months before I realized what it was. Cleared  up after just 4 days of over the counter clotrimazole 1% cream.Turns out I also have tinea corporis with the typical rings that were really really faint in color so i didn't recognize it. I'd been really itchy all over my torso since about the time these painful boils started popping up over my face. The funny thing is that the boils didn't really itch. They HURT, and eventually would crust and open up into a sore, and reveal the tips of the plugs and wouldn't heal until i got all/most of the plugs out with tweezers (the plugs looked like little curved rice grains. It was SO so weird, and i knew something was very very different about this "acne" from my usual acne.  (also almos no pus, mostly yellowish clear crusting ooze).

The sad thing is that this appearance of ringworm is not classically taught in med schools (I'm a physician too, not a dermatologist, but still...). I'm really mad I didn't realize it sooner!

All you physicians out there, please learn from this and diagnose your patients correctly! This is not a case to give steroid creams to! (i'm sure i dont have to explain why).It's better to empirically have the patient try OTC antifungal ointment first; if it's ringworm, it will start improving in 1-2 days, and clear up within a week. If not, well then back to the drawing board.

Worse, dont label these patients with Morgellon's, or other types of psychosis without ruling out this possibility. And no it's not just cystic acne.
It's because it's ringworm. It just keeps spreading.
OMG!!! This is the  story of my life...i will try the suggested options but am in need of answeres fast!! My face has a new scar every week...ive been battling theese " plugs" for the last four years along with tinea versacolor...i am 38 yrs old female...tried all the derms treatments with no success! I will try the antifungal cream....any new info or answers please respond asap!!!!
i believe I have cutaneous fungi in my skin. Everyone in my family thinks I am seeing things because these items are everywhere. In my carper, burrowed into food and harder substances. I just don't understand why I see these  items (that sometimes look similar to very small worms jellyfish or geometric shapes such as circles, triangles and lines) and others don't. I wonder if I am hallucinating but, I have taken photos of the sores and red lines, circles etc. that appear on my skin, on various surfaces, carpet, other fabric, etc. I believe the condition has spread to my bladder, due to pain upon urination. Maybe I am nuts???!
I trust one of the physicians I see and will see her in mid-June. I hope I can get an answer to my questions then. In the mean time I am losing weight and have tossed tons of stuff from my apartment, so, that should help with other issues. Thank you for sharing with us.
Thank you!!!! The ring worm makes so much sense. I jumped out of bed and dug up a tube of anti fungal and used it on my current face sores. Can't wait to see if this resolves my 8 month long problem!!!!!!!!
Everyone, brace yourselves, please.  It's been a month since I started messing with exactly what everyone is describing, slightly off center on the ball of my nose. Ironically it started off as a routine small whitehead that was so developed I thought it was going to be a hit and run..., pop it, dab it, go to bed, wake up and it would basically be a tiny scab and onward with life. That's how it started alright. The first few days after I popped the zit, I went on with life as normal. The weather in the midwest sky rocketed from 40s to 80s and everyone was out and about enjoying life. I threw on some of my fav MAC concealer on the scab and went on with life. After several days, I came home after a night out and washed my face, usual routine. When I went to dry my face, I noticed that tiny scab was now bleeding profusely. So much blood from such a tiny little spot. I looked into my magnifying mirror and noticed what I thought to be a little whitehead still stuck in there. I thought, oh! This mofo wasn't done! Sometimes when you pop a white head (harmless, I rarely get breakouts)it will boil up overnight or within a few days and release more of that white crap- you pop it again and then the scab can finally heal. Well, I decided, I'm going to get that mofo out so I can be done with this already! That's where my journey began. I went in to extract what I consider to be the first 'root' or 'plug' in this situation. In doing to, I opened pandora's box which a month later of non-stop picking, extracting numerous white plugs, has turned into what looks like a dine sized oblong lesion on my nose. I'm in the health/fitness industry and I see 20+ people a day. Not to mention I have dogs I am constantly out and about with living downtown Chicago. I have basically been on house arrest for A MONTH. Wearing hats, bandaids, sitting at home researching why the hell this won't go away. Clients are angry with me, friends are ignoring me and calling me a 'hermit'. How the hell can I cover this up? It's on the TIP OF MY NOSE. ALAS, after my non stop research and reading- I discovered what these things are. PLEASE- BRACE YOURSELVES, I ALSO HAVE A CURE.

I purchased iodine, zinc, silver, anti-fungal cream (after reading some posts)- BUT nothing fully helped heal this FUNGAL INFECTION …EXCEPT…. FREEZE-OFF WART REMOVER.

I KNOW. It’s scary as hell. I was chicken sh* t to use the at-home box after it states in the directions NOT to use it on the face. HOWEVER, this is the same thing your derm would do for upwards of $2000. I don’t have TIME right now to wait a month to see my judgmental derm who would first and foremost push antibiotics and topical on me before he’d agree to freeze it.  Not to  mention they will chastise you for picking at it. First and foremost, the longer you wait, the deeper the roots go and the harder it is to kill. That’s what I realized when the topical anti-fungal creams STOPPED working to a certain extent. A lot of it healed initially, using tea-tree oil and coconut oil to help heal the rest, but somehow I was still dealing with cores and plugs after every face washing or shower.

I just applied the freeze off tonight for the first time. I was too scared to hold it down for 40 sec so I did several rounds of baby dabbing while holding it down for a good 20sec right on that center core that seems to never go away. I can already FEEL the difference. No longer does this thing have its own heartbeat. I am not certain I killed it yet. The party may not be over, but this is a blaring eviction notice.  It already looks significantly better and it’s only been an hour since I froze it. I noticed that once this thing formed a life of its own, I had more breakouts. THAT’S BECAUSE IT WAS SPREADING.
Here are some things I learned:
LADIES (and gentleman) if you have been using a concealer brush during this trip through hell, THROW. IT. OUT. I REPEAT- THROW IT OUT.  Wash your other brushes thoroughly. Use antibacterial soap and anti-septic spray like Bactine as well.
DO NOT USE YOUR PICKING TOOLS ON OTHER ZITS- YOU WILL GET MORE OF THESE WARTS. I got a zit white I had this thing and through I probably thought my tweezers were clean, they probably weren’t (and I hadn’t  realized this was a freakin fungus yet). That zit immediately started turning into what is on my nose but I nipped it in the bud immediately when I picked out that center core. It’s STILL forming tiny cores and not healing completely. I FROZE IT AS WELL AND IT’S ALMOST INVISBLE NOW.
Disinfect ALL TOOLS AGGRESIVELY. LYSOL and disinfect your LIGHT SWITCHES. Wash ALL of your towels in HOT water on sanitary cycle. Do not use the same area of your face towel twice and swap them out if not several times a day, than at least daily. WASH YOUR HANDS. Throw your pillow away (you can get pillows pretty cheap these days). WASH YOUR BED SHEETS. Disinfect YOUR COMPUTER KEY BOARD.  YOUR SMART PHONE. Anything that your fingers are touching on a regular basis. WASH YOUR PETS.
Do yourselves a favor and RID yourself of this strain of fungus that’s highly contagious. If you prefer to have a derm do the freezing, make an appointment but don’t wait too long. I wish I had zapped this sucker WEEKS AGO.
It’s been a MONTH OF HELL. My phenomenal newly budding relationship with what I still think is the “one” has completely crumbled and we are barely speaking because I have been avoiding him like the plague. My business partners are absolutely livid that I have been solely communicating not- in person but via phone, text, email not showing up to events. SURE, it may seem vain. BUT REALLY, CAN YOU BLAME ME? I HAVE A WART ON THE TIP OF MY NOSE.  I work in a superficial industry where image is everything. I am an OCD germaphobe and this has been my utter WORST NIGHTMARE. I tried picking, I tried leaving it alone…it just got WORSE and it wasn’t getting better with any method. I  have read extensively on acne dot org about this and a man came onto an old thread and wrote about using the freeze-off wart remover (cryogenics) and how it’s been his go to method and never fails. SO FAR SO GOOD.
I will come back and update you all on how it looks tomorrow. My guess is that I might have to bite the bullet and go back in there tomorrow and hold it down for 20-30sec to really kill that core.  I was trying to be gentle today because I deathly fear somehow blowing a hole into my face, though what I have there right now certainly doesn’t look any better than that would. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life, and the worst part is that THERE ARE NO ANSWERS.
Everyone looks at you like you’re a picker, your friends tell you to stop picking and that you’re going crazy and making it worse. They don’t understand. I UNDERSTAND. Please go out and get anti-fungal solutions and disinfect your living situation (and work situations/stations what have you). Report back!
OK....you've got my attention.  How does the area look now after using the wart freeze?  I'm tempted to buy some today and try it out, but was hoping to see your update first.  I have the exact same thing on my face - and it was biopsied with the result coming back as a wart.  Two dermatologists won't touch it until I stop picking the white things out.....Please let me know if the freeze worked!  Thanks!
I FINALLY AFTER MONTHS OF MISERY FIGURED OUT THE ANSWER TO THE SAME CRAZY PROBLEM ALL OF YOU DESCRIBED.
I have spent hours trying to figure this worm under scab won't heal issue. I've had dozens on my face.
It so simple it makes me want to cry that it took so long to figure out and to realize I was self creating the problem. Not ringworm FYI....
CONTACT DERMITITIS FROM AN ALERGIC (allergic) REACTION TO NEOSPORIN AND POLYSPORIN.
I stopped using both and only used tea tree oil for one day and all 5 of my existing sores do NOT have any of the worms under the scabs this morning. THANK GOD. (I did clean the inside of each sore really well before using tea tree)
I am guessing tons of folks on this thread use these ointments trying to control infection of small sores that turn into big sores over time, it's the ointment in my case.
I had to share this once I realized what my problem was.
Good luck everyone!
I have the same problem --the lesion that wont heal until you pluck out the white plugs...after 10years of wondering what exactly i was dealing with and tired of "being a picker" I just showed my derm and plucked one out and wiped it on the mirror.
id love to enlighten people on my experience and treatment so that they can stop the cycle.
It either starts as a pimple- you pop it and it gets raw and the skin around it seems to wear away and never heal.
(That particular mechanism can be from a vitamin deficiency esp. Vit. C) and the topical mess being too strong.
Understand that once you've broken the skin retin-a taozorac benzoyl peroxide ect won't help it heal-- only irritate it. You need antibiotic like clyndamycin erythromycin neospoirn or Bactroban to keep it uninfected so it will heal. And putting make up on it is an unfortunate no-no.
So for me,now I think I have face eczema that gets a staph infection. And then I wind up with a stubborn lesion with plugs. Always in the same place my lower jaw right or left of my chin.
But one of the earlier posters was correct. It's the "inflamed" sebaceous glands.
Coupled by your body's "walling off" reaction to infection.
It's not a cyst yet bc it formed while the skin was open in the lesion and never filled with anything yet.
And it never seems to heal bc well the skin is "raw" and our body is trying to heal around it and its inflamed and probably infected. (Staph/strep)
(Hence the itching and weeping yellow lymph fluid) And this is the mystery as to why neospoirn doesn't help-- neospoirn won't kill staph or strep bacteria you need muroprocin "Bactroban"
Picking them out has left scarring on my face so I do not condone it however I can't hold it against anyone bc you feel it/them and it doesn't heal right away or feel better until you pick it out.
So just exercise excellent hygiene in your personal surgery as to not worsen the situation.
You are essentially removing the inner workings of the pore... The follicle wall... The sebaceous gland. Sometimes it grows back some times it doesn't. But chances are you probably have folliculitus (folliculitis) (looks like acne in a patch) and its infected. That's why it gets better when you take the plug out bc it's holding the bacteria in it and around it keeping it inside your skin.
Staph and strep are insidious... It can live for two weeks or more in the right environment. Disinfect or throw out everything and anything you can. Anything you can think of that you'd touch and touch and touch and then end up touching your face with.
Pillows sheets towels phone doorknobs keyboard makeup compacts you shower scrubby. Even the bar of soap!
Yes it can live and stay alive on bar soap :-/
Go look up kerion ringworm!!!!! It is normally on scalp but can be anywhere on body that has hair follicles.
Inflammatory deeper tinea barbae is caused primarily by zoophilic dermatophytes. This variety, termed a kerion, is the most common clinical presentation. Most patients show solitary plaques or nodules; however, multiple plaques are relatively common. Usually localized on the chin, cheeks, or neck, involvement of the upper lip is rare. The characteristic lesion is an inflammatory reddish nodule with pustules and draining sinuses on the surface. Hairs are loose or broken, and depilation is easy and painless. Pus-filled whitish masses involve the hair root and follicle. Over time, the surface of the indurated nodule is covered by exudate and crust. This variety of tinea barbae usually is associated with generalized symptoms, such as regional lymphadenopathy, malaise, and fever.

Found this tonight! I had already started using liquid toenail fungus meds on my face and have seen DRASTIC RESULTS. The liquid versus creams is huge because it can reach the fungus. Also added colloital silver and it is healing beautifully. Hope my "find" helps some of you.
Good luck,
Kelley

Search www.cidpusa.org:

Part Two: Adult “Acne”

This is where the “saga” starts to get interesting. After my adolescent acne should have cleared up 35 years ago, it got slowly worse. All over the bearded part of my face, what appeared to be sacs of hardened oil under the surface of the skin had been forming nodules. These didn’t get infected,  each just grew larger. Over the years I’ve seen dermatologists who said, because of my otherwise great health, “you’re just a middle aged adolescent,” blaming it on high testosterone, etc. The apparent acne problem continued and worsened.

I’ve seen doctors, dermatologists, pharmacists, herbalists, laser specialists, and spiritual healers. I’ve bought every acne ointment known to man. I took pills, vitamins, and herbs. I changed diet. I get plenty of exercise. Nothing worked. I had extensive surgery to correct the problem three years ago, and within 18 months it looked just as bad as before. As a public speaker and author in my profession, the skin condition was emotionally upsetting and stressful.
Having conquered toe nails, I started researching down the path that maybe the acne was caused by a fungus (although the symptoms didn’t look like my feet). Was I surprised when I found:

“ Tinea barbae is a superficial dermatophyte infection that is limited to the bearded areas of the face and neck and occurs almost exclusively in older adolescent and adult males. Symptoms include inflammatory, deep, kerion-like plaques and noninflammatory superficial patches and lumps resembling bacterial folliculitis. The hair breaks off below the skin surface. It is caused by several dermatophytes. Trichophyton species are most common. Infection of bearded skin may be the result of autoinoculation from tinea pedis or onychomycosis.”

In other words, the mess on my face that had caused me so much grief and been misdiagnosed for decades was caused by the same fungus that gave my feet a problem. Apparently the dermatophytes enter the hair follicle (nails and hair are similar biological structures), then attack the sebaceous gland, feeding off the body oil; then the body’s immune system reacts with scaring and hardening the facial oil, leaving an oil nodule. The dermatophytes then migrate to the next follicle, and eventually dozens of affected follicles link as a nodule the size of a pea.

Now it became obvious what had happened: The athlete’s foot I got as a teenager went to my toe nails, and, because I was ignorant of the relationship of using a towel on my face that might have been used on my feet or crotch, the fungus got transferred.

Not a single dermatologist who examined my face ever bothered to ask the question: “Do you have toe nail fungus or athlete’s foot!”

Using the same solution on my facial outbreaks as on my toe nails (the revised formula with coconut oil), the facial condition is clearing up. Just like with my feet, skin is sloughing off and the nodules are beginning to eject. This is the best result I’ve seen in years. I expect it will take a few months for the problem to be cured, as the fungus is down below the level of the base of the hair follicle in the sebaceous gland.
LUPOID SYCOSIS/ SYCOSIS BARBAE
So now I have my answer and this is what I did-
I purchased:
loofah walnut puff scrub
fungal liquid from the toenail section that is climotrizol. It must be the liquid with the brush, not cream
Also the Lamisil cream with climotrizol
Tea tree face wash (trader joes)
Tea tree wash face pads (trader joes)
Colloidal Silver from Wellness (proven antifungal remedy)

Morning:
Wash with tea tree cleanser, use the tea tree scrubs to lightly buff the surface layers and open the infections up a bit (this allows the medicine you are about to apply to get INTO the infection)
Dry thoroughly with paper towel
Spray Colloidal silver on the infected areas (helps heal infections externally) and use as directed orally (this helps heal from the inside out)
Take the Lamisil and put a thin coat over the entire face, this will help stop the spread of the infection should the fungus “escape” from the current lesions
Take the Climotrizol liquid and coat all the infected areas at least 2 times. It will BURN like hell but well worth the results.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN ALL OF THIS IS TO NOT NOT NOT PULL THE WHITE PLUGS OUT OF THE SORES. When you do this you unleash the wraths of hell to continue down the road of never clearing up the of lesions. These things are our bodies way of trying to protect us. When you pull them out you are accelerating the infection instead of diminishing it!!!! I freely admit I am a picker and previously would pull these things out as fast as I could but as you all know it would not go away. I forced myself to stop picking them out and THANK GOD I DID.

Evening:
Same process but use the walnut scrub and be a bit more vigorous in scrubbing, It will take the crust off but it was my experience that this helped allow the fungal killing liquid to readily attack the fungus.

I have been doing this process for 5 days now and I am 90% better than when I started. It immediately started killing off the stuff, the weeping in the sores stopped, the white things became more prominent for a few days and then just disappeared. The hollow sunken in lesions are almost flat and I have healthy light scabs left at this point. I had 10 of these nasty’s when I started, some worse than others. Looking in the mirror there are only 3 left with any real dimpling apparent.

I don't know if this is exactly what I have, but it seems at least similar to the original post if I'm not proactive.  To be proactive, I have used lotion to take care of this.  Every day in the shower after I wash my face and hair, I lather lotion all over my face and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then, I just rub little circles all over my face, and the little plugs come out of my pores.  It seems like the lotion bonds with the little plugs.  "Curel" is the brand I've been using, and I'm not sure if all brands will work equally.  I found this page while googling - trying to see why I have to do this every day.  I'm relieved that it seems like I'm not the only one, even though we are probably a minority.  I wish I could find a more permanent solution though.  I hope I was able to help.
Excellent post. I went to a derm for these same issues but did not need to show him what I had been doing......he was a seasoned 'old school' dermatologist. He took one look at me and new it was fixable.

Yes, I am a picker, but those sores only healed after the white plugs were removed....so I explained to the doc. He quickly told me that they will NEVER heal if I don't leave them alone. I was put on a strict regimen for my skin. He had topicals compounded for me for maximum effectiveness. Been undergoing treatment for over four long months now but am making progress......I unfortunately still pick a little, maybe that is why I am not completely cured yet.

I advise anyone that has these symptoms to go to a dermatologist. If that dermatologist looks at you like you are crazy...find a new one. In this case, a more 'experienced' derm is preferable. I walked in to mine and he knew exactly what I do, what I had, and most importantly.....how to fix it! The reassurance was worth tons "While you are special, you are not unique. Many people have this problem. It can be fixed."

While everyone needs their own doctor to determine what their diagnosis and treatment should be, mine seemed pretty 'standard' per my doc. I have pickers acne....caused by staph epi. Tough one.....staph epi is normally on the skin and causes no problems (is actually beneficial)...except during overgrowth. Jeez....how does one kill enough 'normal flora' to stop the sores but keep enough of it to prevent something really nasty from taking over? A careful balancing act.  I'm still taking oral doxycycline but very low dose. I' ve went through prescribed stages of topical medicines most consisting of an antifungal and a steroid (compounded). I also initially had an oral steroid to get the inflammation down. Now I am finally to a stage where we can not just fight the infection but start fixing the skin....I get a low dose retrinal cream at night.....the end is near! Whew!

Oh, one poster did mention biofilms...they were correct. Staph epi makes these. While they are present, antibiotics and even the body's own natural defenses cannot get to these buggers well. They have a protective shield.
I did some research.....N-acetyl cysteine.....breaks down biofilms. I bought a high-quality oral version. This sped up the wound healing. My doc did not mind me trying however everyone should check with their own healthcare provider before trying.
As a follow up to my previous post, it has been approx 3 weeks since I started my routine and I am down to a few red areas with no white fleshy plugs at all! When a new clear pimple shows up I use my climotrizol and colloidal silver immediately and it stops it before it can develop. I will be happy to share before and after pictures with anyone that thinks we might have the same issue.
Kelleylucile yahoo *******
Wow I have the same  thing going on . I desperately need answers before my face is full of scare.This all started from tanning at the salon  Then blisters like sores started forming on my face in my eye brows. (Not blister from sun poison) I stopped tanning. I then was diagnosed with a genetic tissue disease and rheumatoid arthritis and also a late lupus. Iam on about 15 different medicationsbut these sores on my face are the worst. have you found a treatment for anything to get rid of them.Thanks
I have this same exact problem. Its starts off sometimes as a normal looking white head or an irritated red bump and if I pop it I can see the "plug" sticking out but no matter what I do, squeeze it use, a needle tweezers etc it will not come out easily orr sometimes at all. it will not heal until that white thing comes out and all the skin around it basically turns into an open wound if I wash my face the scab will sloth off and if I continue to squeeze the bump blood will come out from around the white plug but the plug will never loosen or come out. On occasion I have removed a few "plugs" but they have left deep "ice pick" scars on my nose. I have searched the internet since I started having this issue and up until this post I have never been able to find anyone else with this problem. I dont know what they are if they are even acne...I feel like maybe it is a form of acne caused by an infection I noticed these when I started having problems with my teeth I don't have dental insurance and I have a couple of teeth that have been bothering me one of which I had taken antibiotics but do not have the money to fix so the infection seems to have returned. Idk how to properly heal these pimples or whatever they are once I have them without them leaving a scar but once I get one I feel like I have it for weeks before I can finally get the plug out and scar up my face. It's like a vicious cycle I don't know what to do. I currently have one on my nose. What I have noticed is for the scars they do leave  20% TCA peels (you can buy them on ebay) do help remove the scaring maybe not 100% but they do diminish the scar appearance quite a but after a couple of applications. Id like to know how to prevent this all together but I am just as lost as everyone else here.
I have been reading these posts and very glad I did.  I've had the same problem for seven years now!  From 2007 to last year I had a few bad staph infections which was extremely painful and caused my face to swell in the area it was in and I felt sick.  I would put warm compresses on it and take antibiotics and the gross stuff would finally come out after a few days of starting meds.  Inbetween the very bad infections I got small ones and used the compresses and they would go away but soon after another would show until I got a major one that I needed antibiotics for.  Then last Sept. I felt another bump which was not small or one of the huge ones so I figured I would just put the compresses on.  Well, it never got so bad that I needed meds but it took months to go away.  I used benzoyl peroxide and minocyclin that I had been given from doc.  Then these medium sized ones started popping up together all over my face.  Did the same thing but they got worse.  Saw doctor with makeup covering it and she said it is just acne and put me on low dose doxycycline (sp?) Derm said same thing.  Now after reading these posts I thought it could be fungal infection because I have white core things too that only come out when ready and then more form.  Well at least I know these medium ones are fungus even if the big ones were different infections.  Thank you to all who suggested this.  Bought 88 cent tube of clotrimazole (all I could find was one for jock itch!) and first day after using tons of pus came out (after months of it slowly excreting) Second day no puss and scabbing over.  THANK YOU!  If you have what they are describing here please try this.  I'm sure the wart remover would work too but I will try that only if I get more spots and the clotrimazole stops working.
Mam I want to ask you about my problem . I had allergy in my blood but after taking medicine full course It was cured.But now I have skin infection on my face ie white white waxy thing comes out from it if i squeezed. It is not a big pus like infection it is very small and it is exactly look like face color.What could i have to do get away fro it.
I've been dealing with this similar issue for more than five years now as well.  I never had acne in high school or college and no one else in my family has any skin problems.  These plugs either form around or completely block the facial hair from growing.  Its primarily in my beard area.  They never heal unless the plug is completely removed.  I've left them alone for months before and do not heal unless removed.  I've been to 6 dermatologists, acupuncturists, been on gluten free diets you name it and still seem to get worse by the day.  Dermatologists have given me Retin A, Accuzone, EpiDuo, Mupirocin, Finacea, Renova, Elidel, Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% gel, Minocyclin, Doxycyclin, Dicloxacillin and every otc acne medication you could think of.  Nothing has made a dent and it seems to get worse by the year.  The latest dermatologist says he thought it was from "stress".  I maintain there has to something causing this agony for all of us.  I'm going to try the clotrimazole cream starting today and see if that has any effect.  I'm really at the end of my rope with what ever this thing is so hopefully this does something.  Its gotten so bad I now avoid all social situations and would like to have my old self back.  
I have the same thing on my face, upper arms and my chest. Takes forever to go away and then leaves a nasty scare. I am at my wits end  and embarrassed to go in public but I have a 6 yr old son that I am very active in his life. I try to cover them up but there is just no way. Please help
I'm currently suffering 6 of them on my chin and upper lip...two of them are huge..size of a 10cent piece...have a wedding in one week...I'm now to point where I will pob not attend wedding. I've had them now for 3 weeks coming up 4, have been to doc 3 times, he just keeps giving me antibiotics, which are doing nothing. I've spent hundreds in lay month on the tree oil, ant fungal creams, face wash, you name it ive bought it to no avail. I thought I was getting it under control when I picked a heap of seeds out but a day later they have reformed, one lesion has at least 30 seeds...I'm at sits and and so upset . Wedding is my step son, so you can imagine I ill be in photos etc...I don't know what else to do..please anyone?
I forgot to add, like everyone else, it started as a pimple, but I knew straight away it was not normal pimple, it then turned into a very angry sore with these hideous seeds. No one listens or understands when I try and explain that unless these seeds come out, these ugly things will not heal. I've been given every vitamin tablet there is, antiseptic ointments, but still they won't go. This is third time I've had this outbreak, always around my chin and above my top lip. I've searched Internet high and low for help and found this page. I've tried out suggestions pple have made but nothing is helping....thankyou...sorry for long second post...I'm just so desperate like we all are
Thank you for saying what I was trying to say, much more in-depth and eloquently.  This is the truth!  I am now in cosmetology class, and one of my teachers is also a nurse-esthetician, and she confirmed this with me.  You can get staph SO easily from popping a pimple, or picking, and sometimes, you may squeeze some white stuff (pus, keratin) out of the "plugs" and sometimes, not.  But they aren't plugs, they are tubes that are holding the infection.  They are fleshy because they are part of your body!  Kill the infection, and they will go back to clear, small pore linings.
Hi frankenkittie, did she say what could be used to kill the infection. I've tried everything with no success, anti fungal cream, antiseptic ointment, antibiotics, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar to name a few. I'm at wits end over it, they simply will not heal nd are showing no signs of healing. I've even put bandaids on them overnight in hope to draw it out and a scab form. Thankyou kindly
I'm right there with you.  My latest dermatologist has basically tapped out too after doing a biopsy and still having no idea what to give me anymore.  I've been dealing with this for over 5 years now and I seemingly gets worse by the year.  Does your skin constantly feel tight too?  From my eyes down my facial skin never feels like skin.  Its always tight.  For months now I've been using a gentle face wash and lotion with no harsh chemicals and the tight feeling doesn't go away.  
Hi sj8989,

Thank you for reply :)...no my skin doesn't feel tight. I have had 4 flares up in last two yrs. I've been trying to ind a pattern, it is always sept/oct I flare up, wether that's coincidental I don't know. I seen another doc yday, fourth visit in week and a bit, so seen a diff doc. I walked in and burst into tears, he was disgusted, cld see it in his face. I said please help me and he snapped at me for crying and offered me depression tablets. I cldnt believe it. After exp to him he said he thinks I have endogenous dermatitis with a secondary infection, hence why it won't heal. I said but what are these seed like things it's like they are holding the infection in. He cldnt ans me. He ref me to a dermatologist and prescribed me flamazine cream. Flamazine has bought redness down but again no healing, still open wound with over 20 seeds in each lesion. He also gave me endep which is a depression tablet, I questioned this and he said it wld help supress the inner issue which he feels is dermatitis...I've looked up this derma but I don't think it's right. Nor o I see how depression tabs ill help me to heal this. I'm at a loss now. 4 days till step sons wedding and my face is a mess. I wish I cld find answers.
Try wearing antibiotic bandaids (not generic) for a few days. Take them off after 4 or 5 hours, wash face good and leave uncovered for a few hours. Then apply more bandaids. No this will not cure you, but it may help heal them enough to where you can wear a concealer of some sort. If you have a bad one slap a bandaid on it and go to the wedding! If you smile and carry on as usual most people don't really notice. They are too concerned with how they look! If anyone says anything,tell them the truth, that the doctors don't really know what is going on and you are just doing the best you can. I have missed alot off big events the last 6 years over this and I still regret it.
Do be sure to wash everything off as soon as you get home!
Thankyou so very much willo57 for your advice. This really is a terrible "condition"...heading down to hops shortly so will be sure to pick up some antibiotic bandaids. The doc gave me a script for flamazine which is a corgial silver based antibacterial cream. It's now Monday and I've had it on since sat, I have seen a big improvement in last 12 hrs. I really recommend this cream. I did alot of research and actually asked doc for it when I seen him. It has ability if you have biofilms and secondary infection to penetrate this infection. I've noticed I still have the white seeds but overnight alot have died and are dying...it's the best thing I've ever used for thisinthe two yrs I've had it.
Not sure if anyone reads this topic as it was started sometime ago but if your like me, was in desperate need for help, you prob found this page after googling for hours. So I'm leaving a comment as this may help. As mentioned this last flare up I've had for over a month, resulted in 5 lesions with those plugs in them. Two of them were large about size of a bottle top and had well over 30 seeds in thm. I tried everything, went to doc three times. My last visit was 5 days ago, after reading online for hours  and in desperate need as my face was red raw with wholes in it due to depth of lesions, I came cross flamazine as its known here in Aus, it's a silver corgiall antiseptic ointment. It's used for open wounds in part burns but bad wounds. I actually suggested it to the doc as its a script only. The results have been astounding. I put it on soon as I got it sat and it's now wed, my lesions have closed over, no scabs, I still have slight redness but guys please I beg you to get this cream, I wish I had bfre and after pics for you to see, you wld be so amazed...you don't rub cream in its sits in the lesion and keep it on constantly, overnight I put bandaids over it to keep cream on, each morn I woke and eagerly took banaids off to see the improvement as ea day passed. It's no cure, but it certainly has covered up lesions and healed over....I hope this helps if you come across this post....
Very helpful suggestions regarding fungal infections. I ordered Syntol - it came in the mail yesterday and have Alkalol on order.

Until I found this thread - I was at the end of my rope. It is very relieving to know that I'm not alone with this issue.

I've often wondered if my problem was internal and think it is.

Thank you for this post.
Not sure i i have the same thing but i get yello things which are rock solid they look tiny but one i have sqeezed them out they look like a root of a tooth they are yellow and kind of leave a hole in my nose ! Apparently they are just a different type of balack head
I had the same exact things - Good lord, the white stretchy plug things! They are just the WORST, and just when you think you have them all out, you most definitely do not. It was really starting to make me depressed.

Here's how my trial and error went to figure out how to beat them - I hope this is helpful for some of you...

The first time I used Lotrimin it worked... The big sucker on my chin "died" overnight and was completely gone within 2 days. I was so happy! But then when 2 more sprouted up a day later, it didn't work again. It did nothing. I was heartbroken. So, I went to the dermatologist and he put me on minocycline and some topicals (BP & retinoid) and both helped a good deal for about three weeks - my skin was flawless for the first time in years. and completely cleared up any superficial acne. But then, last week, I got a really deep doozy between my chin and my right cheek (the seemingly preferred location for these little *******). I went in to see the doctor again and got a cortisone shot. It did absolutely nothing and was a waste of $125.00.  

A couple days later the thing was still really active, and the white stretchy plugs kept growing back, I randomly walked by this little pot of ointment at the pharmacy called Silver Wings Silver Herbal Ointment and remembered reading THIS here thread and someone had mentioned having good luck with silver. It was only $7.00, so I figured why the hell not. It also has tea tree oil in it. I also bought some regular tea tree oil, which normally doesn't do anything for me, but I read might be helpful for these mysterious types of blemishes. I used the tea tree oil first, and then the ointment. Within ONE HOUR the big one on my cheek/chin was completely DEAD. No plugs. No more weeping clear pus. Closed up. Huzzahh! This stuff is amazing, and I hope me posting about it will help some of you. You can get it on Amazon for dirt cheap - i just checked.

After doing some research, I am wondering if the white things could actually be demodex mites? I'd never heard of them until I fell down an internet black hole trying to figure out what these things actually are last night. Horrifying as it may be, it sounds like it could be a match. And apparently, they can be killed with tea tree oil, according to web MD. Go figure.

Hope this helps you!! I've been struggling with this for months, and feel confident I finally have it under control. Good luck, everyone!
thank you thank you thank you for posting this!!! It worked for me too! You saved me so much aggravation! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing this info! See my post below.
I completely swear by silver ointment...I truly wish I had before and after pics...within three days of using the silver based ointment the lesions I had were closed...I'm so pleased to read your post DV82 :)....I now have a tube of my silver ointment as a permanent part of my cupboard...my face was so bad a week before the wedding even my husband said to me, I understand if you don't go Lis as your face is really bad (he meant no harm in saying that, I asked for his honest opinion)...I did so much reading on net and found this corgiall silver cream...I got a script from doc for flamazine as I only had a week, I also ordered a silver based ointment online Incase I get more flare ups I'm ready...this stuff is bloody amazing...within hrs of putting it on you see a difference, it kills the infection and the white seeds just go..no scab forms it simply heals over..yes there is still bit of redness but within days the lesion is gone...the lady who did my make up seen me bfre I used silver cream to try and see if she cld cover it up..I then seen her day bfre wedding and she cld not blve the diff...she even said how the hell did you get rid of those do fast...I have searched for yrs for help on this terribly and debilitating infection I've spent so much money with no success...I can only hope this post helps someone just like DV82....I had a huge smile when I read your post because I know the sheer relief you wld have felt watching these things disappear before your very eyes...gosh I'm really  pleased  someone seen my post  :))....
I'm very anxiously waiting to get my order for the silver ointment.  Are you still using it on a preventative basis too or is it really only for the active areas?  
Hi sj8989,

Thankfully I haven't had to use the silver ointment I ordered online as yet. The flamazine was a script that I could only get from the doc...i used it for 5 days while these were active..I'm not sure about the non script silver ointment but with the flamazine (I'm in Australia, not sure of its name overseas, maybe google it as you maybe able to see doc and chat to them about it)...with flamazine you don't rub it in, it sits on the lesion pretty much 24/7, as I was home. I used a cotton tip to blob it on, at night I then covered with bandaids. I prob didnt need to use it for the 5 days but I had a wedding and wanted to ensure they were as cleaned up as poss...I don't use it now however as I don't have any lesions. For me I used it when active. But I never had the silver before this happened. I can tll when I have those horrible things coming. Hopefully I don't have any coming but if I do I will put cream on it ASAP to try and kill it before it gets out of control...this last flare up for me was the worst I've ever had, the lesions were so deep and I've never seen so many white seeds as I did this time, as well as they were oozing clear liquid..it was so upsetting, this flamazine, wow I don't know what else to say but I swear by it. As mentioned I'm yet to use silver non script ointment but after researching so much, it seems it will def help due to the silver element in it which is a powerful component that kills bacteria n heals and as dv82 has said she has results already...I came across silver ointment by reading about staph and bio films, that bio film can not be killed by antobidics or most topical creams...I have a very strong feeling that it is possible staff and seeds are your hair follicles infected as someone said above said by bio film.  The doc believed I had infection and a secondary infection, hence the silver ointment killed the infection. It attacked it and as it did so, the white seeds disappeared with odd few coming up to surface and falling out...all up within 5 days my face was clear, I have red scars where they were but they are fading fast and I use scarsil on them which is helping alot. I hope it helps you as much as it has for me and DV82...I'm glad I posted about silver ointment and it been seen and helped... .
this works for me, read a few months ago to try cltromazole, so i did...started to heal the wounds on my arms in-noticeable difference in just a day ...so i went and got a 2 week supply of Fluconazole  oral 100mg(this stuff is rough on your liver and kidneys) my arms are the worst so I also use ketoconazole cream on my arms only as well as clotrimazole cream. on my back and thighs i use the clotrimazole cream, on my face and behind my ears i use Undecylenic acid liquid daily- just pour out a little on my hands and rub it in-stay away from your eye area. Do not pick, I know it is hard. take a long bath 2-3 times a week and i mean long soak for at least 2 hours, if you have any soars rub the scab/dead skin of in the bath- use selsen blue and an abrasive wash cloth and scrub the crap out of your skin-all over, cut way way down on sugar in your diet-eliminate it if possible. If you cant get to a doctor....cut sugar use over the counter cltormazole and undecylenic acid but the most important thing is the long, long soak in the tub..If you have access to a doctor be forceful with your request give them evidence-if the otc antifungal cream is healing them you need a low dosage of oral antifungal to start with..i dont know what it is, tired of hearing that im crazy-i know my body and these things are not normal but now i have some control.-good luck
Thankyou for your advise :)...I have found the best thing for me is the flamazine or silver based cream. I don't need to scrub and wldnt want to use an abrasive scrub on my face, esp when It was already infected,  I just put  the cream on and within hrs it is healing over and within days it's gone. It kills whatever it is within a matter of hrs for me. I only have them on my face however. I now have it under control. Best of luck and hope it all goes well. Glad you have found something that works for you, esp with this prob...
Its been nearly 6 years that I've been battling this immensly embarrassing issue.. I admit I am vain.. very - as this friggin mark on my chin has been driving me crazy.. to the point of NOT GOING OUT IN PUBLIC... just to work and home.. and with that - a ton of makeup.. HOURS and HOURS of picking, probing, scrubbing.. squeezing until not only was my skin sore, my CHIN/TEETH/FACE and fingers HURT... ridiculous.. I've wanted to die.. I'm not kidding - just 'die'.. over the frustrations, embarrassment.. hating on people w/gorgeous normal skin.. I've done it all from Pro-Active crap to Glycol.. AHA's... extractors.. neosporin.. baking soda, toothpaste.. honey - EVERYTHING.. finally, after searching and searching I thought.. hmm.. folliculitis... maybe.. an started Clotrimazole last week.. (it's healing but stuffs coming to surface that I've felt deep yet hadn't budged).. so, 'extracting' the junk finally coming to surface - not sure if its' the glycolic or AHA lotion helping push it all out - w/the antifungal cream - I extracted 3 - 'crystal' like slivers.. I KNEW I WASN'T LOOSING MY MIND.. I felt stuff in there.. but couldn't get it out.. I think I have 2 more.. but am not sure????  I'm rereading this entire thread.. I am so grateful to have found it.
You do not know how lucky I was to find all these posts on here, because like many of you I haven't ever had acne I am only 20 years old and now I have these stupid things that have been on my face for about 3 months. I was wondering if anyone else has or is taken ADHD/ADD medication because I started my ADHD medication about 3 months ago and this is of course the time these things appeared on my face. I have tried everything and may consider not taking my ADHD medication and seeing if that helps. My whole vacation has been ruined because I don't want to go out with these like blister like things on my face, that to people probably look like I have a virus or something. I am going to see the doctor again and if I discover anything else on my google searches I will add it here. But we need to figure this out, Im actually a perspiring dermatologist, and Im in college study to go to medical school so I definitely want the answer to this awful problem. Thank you so much!
I have been through all this, also.  Dermatologist told me the same thing.  But, you're right, until all the little plugs are gone (and the more you pick the more they spread) it will not heal.  I read most of the comments on this page, and was so relieved to find other people with this same problem.  I have had one particular spot now for about 4 months; it's a monster.  Finally got the last approximately 1/8 inch long plug out just before I found this page.  But I had two other ones coming up in other spots, and I'm thinking, "Here we go again!"  Anyway one comment on here suggested Curad silver cream; couldn't find that, but got CVS silver ointment.  That was 3 days ago, and I have applied it nightly to all three spots.  Already, I can tell it's helping.  I can no longer feel the "plug" in the spots.  I think they are healing.  Hopefully, the two new ones will continue to heal, and I won't feel the need to dig for gold. lol  Right now, they don't feel like they have anything in there to dig for.  Hope this helps.
I started suffering from this condition back in October when I was wearing a lot of makeup for a job at a haunted house.  I've always had clear skin, and never anything like this.  I thought it would go away after the job was over, and it HAD healed (though incredibly slowly), but then if I would wear makeup even for a few hours I would break out like crazy and the nightmare would start all over again.  I took pictures of my face to chronicle the ordeal.  I finally visited a dermatologist last week and showed her the high res images I took with my camera of the plugs and asked her what it was.  She said they were hair follicles and that I had a bad infection.  I got put on antibiotics and given a topical antibiotic ointment and within two days I had dramatic improvement.  It seems it is folliculitis, a bacterial infection of the hair follicles of the face.  Trying to dig and pick at your face is just going to drive you mad and scar you.  Once you get the bacteria under control the plugs will go away.  At least, they have dried up on my face and the skin is healing and I can now gently squeeze out the pus/sebum that had accumulated during the infection.    
http://oi40.tinypic.com/a4262p.jpg Image I took to show the dermatologist
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....I have been suffering for two years with this!  It was gone for a while but came back about a month ago (probably from an old razor that I hadnt used in a while).  Not only was it painful and embarrassing but people treated me like a freak--like I was picking all the time and causing it to spread and never heal. I am starting the treatment today and praying that it works--I dont even want to leave the house anymore!
I have these and they are terrible! Once opened the wound wont heal correctly until you get the white stuff out. After much research I believe these are eruptive vellus hair cysts. It is a rare condition, but i believe a lot of dermatologists are wrongly diagnosing it as acne or cystic acne because they don't know how to treat them. So maybe it's not so rare. From what i have read lactic acid and urea cream can help.
Eruptive vellus hair cysts is a new description I haven't seen before.  I've tried lactic acid, urea and retin-a before and nothing seems to make a dent in this awful condition.  Since finding this blog months ago I've tried all the things that seemed to have given people relief like the ringworm fungus cream, colloidal silver.  Nothing helps.  This condition truly is miserable and non stop.  What I wouldn't give to have one day where I can wake up without finding some new growth coming out of my face.    
I sooo feel the same. This has caused me a ridiculous amount of social anxiety. Sometimes i get severe swelling/tenderness with them when i first feel one coming on. I was put on Minocycline over the last summer/fall and it minimized the painful inflammation, but i still continue getting them. One of the bad ones i had a few months ago had multiple white plugs that i pulled out with tweezers and way deep in there a ton of peach fuzz/vellus hair and clumps of oil. Some of the hairs were very painful to pull out, almost like they are rooted or something. I had to leave it alone. I have gotten them since I was 10 or 12 and i am now 31, but just recently is when i thought that maybe this is a hair problem and not acne. I get them on my chest and shoulders too. For me the "small" ones look like skin colored bumps or a bump with a visible white mass under the skin that never comes to a head. I pinch them and get white tubes or strings out (sometimes a rubber-like texture) and then in a few days they are filled up again. This goes on forever it seems like. Other ones are hard lumps deep under the skin. I can see that messing with them is not the answer because now i have a bunch of depressed scars. I just did a needling treatment about 3 weeks ago and can see at least a 10% improvement in the scars so that gives me hope, but i really wish there was something to stop me and everyone else here from getting more of them. I am going to continue to search for answers and will share any new info i find. I still plan on trying lactic acid peels and the urea cream. I appreciate everyone for sharing. I don't know anyone personally who has this condition and it is comforting to know i am not alone.
Totally agree.  I'm 29 and have dealt with it now for 6 years.  I never go out anymore and can't concentrate on anything.  Just had a new one on my upper lip this week that was so swollen I thought my lip was gonna pop.  Good luck with the lactic acid but that only make mine worse.  
I can't believe I finally stumbled on to you all with the same damned problem I have had for decades.  I am now 61 years old and am just clearing up a lesion on my chin.  Absolutely true that the lesions won't heal (or will take 6 months to do so) unless the PLUG is pulled out.  I have found that when I have been successful pulling one out (a 90 degree angle to the skin works best), I must be breaking a small blood vessel because blood gushes out kind of quickly - after this happens, it usually is "only" a week until the thing heals.  I get about 4-6 a year but each takes almost a month to resolve so, basically, half of the time, I am dealing with one....  Sometimes they are so freaking painful, it takes over your whole face.  Ibuprofen helps with that a little (and maybe reduces the inflammation a bit also?)

I had gone to multiple dermatologists over the years who have all said the same thing - acne and "don't pick".  They can't explain the very tough plug that is anchored deep in the skin.  I couldn't tolerate oral retinoid, I really am not comfortable being on an antibiotic because I'm thinking it would be for the rest of my life!

I am so weary of people thinking I am a "picker", just as a compulsion thing.  I feel like this condition has had many negative impacts on my life, you could even argue that it limited my choice of romantic partners.  Who knows who I might have wound up with if I'd had good skin?

I've had a bit of luck with Manuka honey.  I'm going to trial the antifungal and silver approaches I've seen here.  But I do want to pass on something that has helped me a lot - especially after the top breaks:  There are certain bandaids made especially to draw out the fluid from blisters.  I have found that the CVS brand are superior and way cheaper than BandAid brand.  You just cut off  about a 1/3-inch section, place it on clean dry skin overnight and, in the morning, you see that the bandaid has sucked out fluid, which limits the size of the lesion.  My thought is, it is pulling important things in the blood toward the lesion which help to gradually clear away some of the leftover plug stuff.  CVS also makes a bandaid that has silver colloid in it.  Maybe I'll give that a try.

My thoughts are with all of you fellow sufferers.  Why can't doctors just believe us?

eee
Your "breaking the small blood vessel" comment is directly on point with what is happening to me.  It almost as if its propelled out and then stops quickly and it heals within a week or so.  Otherwise they will just fester in there for months.  I totally agree on the life changing aspects as well.  Mine has gotten so consistent now that in the last 2 years that this has gone from a minor problem to dominating my life and I'm only 29. I ran into a college friend and he was shocked at the sight of it given I had no real problems in college.  The silver treatments seem to help somewhat in healing ones that are there already but nothing seems to prevent this.  Anyway I keep checking this site almost everyday hoping for a cure!  
Maybe we should start keeping track of how they start, when we feel compelled to open them up, when the plug becomes "available" to remove, and how long to "normal" skin from there.  If we can reduce things from the start, maybe the plugs won't be like dandelion roots....

You are right, nothing seems to prevent - so what can we do to minimize the discomfort and disfiguration?  Do try the CVS blister bandaids to minimize.  I feel like that has significantly reduced scarring as well.

I forgot to mention - I know what "stage" of the thing I'm in by a terrible constant tingling sensation - that tells me there are plugs that are getting big enough to remove soon.

I have kept track for over a year before.  Marking down the products/medication I was using.  I also tried to monitor my food intake to see if that made any difference.  I've tried cutting out dairy and gluten and nothing seems to work.  Any time I think I find any correlation or cream that is working another eruption seems to happen.  My last dermatologist basically threw in the towel after a biopsy saying he really didn't know.  Lately I've tried using Prosacea which is sulfur based and seems to be at least keeping things more manageable.  
Oh, dear, I know we all know the failures.  I was just thinking if we shared info on the time course, we might be able to understand things a bit better and intervene.  We all are well acquainted with what the failures have been.

I agree that things that seem to work at first have a short lifespan.  I wonder if that means we should just keep cycling the different approaches.

Please try this:  Manuka honey, I like Wedderspoon, at least "Active 16 Plus".  Honey is being used in wound care and is thought to be good at debridement as well as being anti-bacterial.  Given that the junk in our lesions is similar to wound debris (only harder to dislodge), it makes some sense.  I have found that applying the honey to an open wound leads to serum being produced right away, for several minutes.  Once that stops and dries up, if I put on a piece of CVS Advanced Healing Premium Bandages (for blisters), the next day, the lesion looks a lot less angry.  AT this point, I am all about being able to show up at work not looking like a leper.  My lesions still occur at least 4 times a year, at the crease below my mouth, going into my chin.  So far, I feel like the Manuka honey, followed by the CVS blister bandage, has allowed me to appear in public without too much embarrassment.

Please try it and tell me what you think.
Also, I use the bandages for many nights in a row, till there is no fluid they are pulling into themselves anymore.  When this happens, I find there starts to be flaking skin around the margin of the lesion and the lesion bed sort of looks like an ulcer.  When this happens, the skin is starting to knit across the wound bed and it is just a matter of several days until it looks fairly well healed.

Before I discovered the blister bandage approach,  the lesions would last longer and be so much more ugly.
One last thing, I should say that "medical grade" Manuka honey is available online. There are also honey-infused bandages which are used in advanced wound care.  I haven't gone to that expense yet.

I hope someone else tries the blister bandage thing.  I am really interested to find out if others have "success", which is not really success in terms of elimination, just duration and severity reduction.
After my horrendous break out which lasted three months bck in sept oct nov 2013 and using flamazine prescribed silver cream, they healed..but here I am February and I have seven on my face, all popped up in the last two weeks..I'm not having much success this time round with silver ointment, it def clears it  up once whatever it is has died so to speak...I however have found a pattern. I'm unfortunate in that I have suffer from dark course little hairs on and around my chin...I always remove these with electric tweezers, I have however noticed a pattern forming that some become ingrown and this is where my prob begins, I can see the dark hair under skin in middle of this lesion around it is these fleshy plugs, it's like it has become infected. When I remove hair it subsides slightly but to late damage fine, fleshy plugs are firmly implanted and area infected. I re read this thread again and came across an interesting post....tinea Barbea.....I looked this up and I'm interested to hear your thoughts....it is a fungal infection of the "beard"...could this be what we suffer?......I've read in a few posts anti fungal cream has been of some help...with tinea Barbea anti fungal tablets prescribed by a doc are req to kill this form of Tinea....I've also noticed for me, I exp breaks when I've excercised and sweated heavily and after I had a microdermabrasion....will be interested to hear your thoughts....a page that may assist?......http://www.disease-symptoms-treatment.com/tinea-barbae.html
I'm assuming since you didn't call these a "beard", you are female?  Have you thought about electrolysis on your chin?  That would eliminate at least one of the possible variables.
No im a female..if you read link or look up tinea barbea you will see its referred to as fungsl infec of beard as its locstion is on and srounf chin and upper lip....re elec no i hvnt its extrmly expensive 2.i dont hve a big enough prob with ranfom dark hairs that st this stage req elec..3.i live in an area thst its not readily avail....
I am a male and all the tinea barbea treatments were what my dermatologist tried first which did nothing at all.  I initially thought this was all due to improper shaving but when I would still occur with no shaving I knew it wasn't so.  Additionally on the fungal medication I had some initial clearing but then after a couple of weeks I was right back to square one and worse than before.  I wish I had some cure or solution and not just shoot down ideas but I just had another monster eruption this morning and this cycle doesn't seem to want to end.  I think my next move might be to go to my regular Dr. not dermatologist for any blood work/any test he can think of cause this is just miserable.  
Please at least try the blister bandage technique.  If this new one just started, you might have a chance that it will not go so deep.  
Hi Sj8989,

Thank you for your response. Im sorry to hear you are going through this. I have gone back to using my trusted flamazine cream. Its only thing that has worked a bit. Last two nights I have heaped on the cream then covered with a bandaid, I have noticed some improvement and I have got to them before they got to that stage where you cannot do a thing with them. I understand with a solution or a cure. I feel same, I shudder to think of how much I have spent on creams, positions, lotions, docs, treatments. My cabinet resembles a grocery store, from medications through to food products ive read may help...I to have also booked back in to see doc next week.

I have found that since I had a microdermabrasion about 3 years ago is when this really started. Interestingly back in sept 2013 before the wedding i was attending, I thought I would have another round of micros thinking it would make my skin  look good etc a I was part of the wedding party BIG MISTAKE, after first two micros I had the worst flair up I have ever had. First micro my skin looked great, then a week later a few angry red mounds formed and I thought it was just a pimple and the woman who did micro said its fine she would cleanse it, after my second micro I was a mess, I had three huge lesions  on my lip and chin. For three months this went on. I am not sure what caused it but I will never have microdermabrasion's again in my life ever, as ive flared up after every one. regarding the band aids suggested, I was using them also, I did find that it helped slightly, but it was the flamazine cream that seemed to work wonders for me. I hope you find answers I really do..thank you again for your response regarding the tinea

I
Hello to all contributors of this great post! As many of you I spent many days searching the web trying to find answers to this problem. I am so glad I found this discussion - it means that I'm not alone with this weird condition. I would like to hear from the person, who started this post - M7166. Were you able to find answer to your problem? At this point I feel hopeless. I went to 3 dermatologists, as usual, they don't care much and prescribe doxycycline and retinol. Antibiotics help while I take them, but when I stop, everything comes back in about one week. After reading this post, I went to pharmacy and bought analog of Flamazin, called Sulfargin (I live in Russia). I also bought N-acetyl-cystein - there are studies that prove it prevents biofilm formation and disrupts already formed biofilms. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Hopefully that together we can find the answer to this!
Hi, M7166 and all in the same situation. I don't want to discourage you but I have the same thing on my forehead for over a year. I spent $120 for the dermatologist PA to look and say" well it seems to be clearing up so I really can't tell what it is. Then a few weeks later I called and ask to see the Dr.. I have been to her before for a mole. She said it is not acne but she doesn't know what it is either. I just started to try a fungal cream on it and she took a swab of 3 areas for 2 cultures, bacteria and fungi. Both came back negative but she did say that if it was fungi it could give a false negative since I had just treated it with fungi cream. It started November 2012. I have had some days not as bad but it has never gone away. I found this when I put my lesions with white plugs in Google. www.skinpick.com/node/474. After you read some go to Home on the site and look at the list of subjects to see if there are any others like what you have. I personally believe that an overgrowth of yeast is causing it. Unless you absolutely have to I would not take antibiotics. I recently started trying different probiotis, acidolpholis, Kiefer, yogurts smoothies (as a bit too much sugar). No more sodas or sweet drinks, just filtered water and kefir. I have to stop and take my dog out but keep me posted I will do the same.
Thank you for posting the link to skinpick.com  One of the most recent posts attributes all this to shingles.  Another one of my symptoms is that no matter what products I use by the end of the day my face feels tight, dry and painful in addition to all the lesions I'm covered with.  I plan on talking to my Dr. about this as soon as I can next week.  Maybe this could finally provide some relief.  
Yes there is the possibility that the diet has something to do with this skin problem. Also the use of too many products like lotions, creams, make up, and a lot products contain alcohol which dries our skin even more.  It is best to use simple home remedies to help with this problem. Stay away from cleansers that contain soap, washing your face with hot water, and products containing too many chemicals that most of us can not even tell what they are.  Instead its is best to clean our skin with oils like almonds oil, extra virgen olive oil, organic coconut oil, peach oil, etc. Remove oils with a wet warm towel and rinse your face.  At night do a simple honey mask and concentrate on the dry areas.  Leave the honey from 15 to 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.  Just regular honey works but raw honey is best. Do not reuse towel to dry your face use papper towel.  Moisterize your skin with jojoba oil, almond oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.  This simple treatment works even if your skin is oily, combination, dry or the person has acne problems. This is good even for wrinkles too. Expensive products are not better. They actually do more harm than good.
Wishing you all beautiful healthy skin! :-)
Hi I know what this is . I seen your picture http://oi40.tinypic.com/a4262p.jpg  Even the one you posted on here where there is a spot on your nose .

It's Pityrosporum Folliculitis . It can be anywhere on your body. It's caused by Yeast Overgrowth  It also is found on the face and buttocks behind your ears etc . well just about anywhere there is a pore . We Used clotrimazole cream1% and Olay pore minimizing cleanser + Scrub . Also a Diet change to fight the Overgrowth of Yeast . Otherwise it will come back. You have to heal your GI track . I know it's hard but try not to pick .
If you end up having scars try proactive scar cream it helps A LOT .

Plus there are Candida Die-Off: Symptoms , You need to know bout that.

Pityrosporum folliculitis presents as erythematous follicular papules and pustules, 2–4 mm in diameter, with a predilection for the upper back, shoulders, chest, and upper arms. The lesions can be quite pruritic.
Histopathology

Involved follicles are dilated and often plugged with keratinous material and debris. There is a mild chronic inflammatory cell infiltrate around the infundibular portion of the follicle. Intrafollicular deposits of mucin are sometimes present.If serial sections are examined, disruption of the follicular epithelium is sometimes found, with basophilic granular debris, keratinous material, neutrophils, and other inflammatory cells in the perifollicular dermis A few foreign-body giant cells may also be present when rupture of the follicle has occurred. A PAS or silver methenamine stain will reveal spherical to oval yeast-like organisms, 2–4 µm in diameter. These organisms are sometimes budding. They are found most often in the follicle, but following rupture they can also be found in the perifollicular inflammatory exudate. Sometimes a few hyphae can also be seen.Pseudoactinomycotic granules have been reported

Here's some helpful links :

http://blog.probacto.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-herxheimer-candida-die-off/

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000880.htm

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/candidadiet.htm

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8376/10-signs-you-have-candida-overgrowth-what-to-do-about-it.html

I hope this help everyone. It was hard figuring out what it was. I'm the mother of autistic Twins with poor immune systems. So we see specialist on a regular basis . They figured out what it was during one of the many tests the kids go through. But every things back on track now . I hope this will help you guys. I know I personal was at a loss . I thought it was some kind of demodex mite or something . But dont wait to get on track cause i seen pictures where it gets really bad . Good Luck and God Bless  

Oh here is another link I forgot :
http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/pityrosporum-folliculitis-acne-treatment-even-many-doctors-dont-know-this/
Most of us are complaining about these things being on our faces, not the other areas you list.  

Also, many people have talked about negative biopsies, which stumps me.  If nothing else, why isn't the pathologist seeing what many of us are talking about, the deep dandelion-root plug which seems to attach to a blood vessel (so that removal of the plug is associated with an obvious small blood vessel break which is then followed by healing,often with discoloration or scar).
I have the same problem and in my experience I can directly relate a volcano to intake of high fructose corn syrup.
Even one can of regular soda and there's one begining the next day. My dermatologist said he has never heard of anything like that although he gave me a list of foods to avoid to help with my "roscea". I can drink throwback sodas with sugar without problem, and sweet teas everyday if I want.  Any drink with HFCS affects me.  I also have used the product new skin. It puts layer of film that drys over the wound so I can get some cover up to stay on.  Word of warning  stings like crazy..  I hope this may help someone.
I have never had them anywhere except my chin and surrounds....as for the soft drink...I don't drink any sort of  soft drink and haven't for many many years....this prob started for me about 5 years ago, not long after my first microdermabrasion. I know for me this isn't related to soft drink...
Hi.  This is a possible case of cholesterol deposits.  It can be a serious condition affecting the Heart.  Certainly, if it is Xanthomos,  type II hyperlipoproteinemia or hypercholesterolemic xanthomatosis you need medication to reduce the cholesterol.  Many General Practice Doctors, including Internal Medicine Doctors are not happy in treating it.  It poses liability problems with their insurance carriers if the patient is in advanced plaque (heart) conditions.  It is considered stressful because they know the patient could end up in the ER.  Therefore, cut back on fried foods, cheese, milk, sodium, and anything with grease.  That is the source of Cholesterol.  Second, medicine will help liquify the Cholesterol around the heart - which is why it begins to deposit under the skin and worse outside the skin.  The dermotologist may or may not help it.   It usually will appear outside the skin around the eyes but near them too.  You can remove it, search online or on youtube.
If you consider taking a picture when the problem is at its worst, you could show your doctor.  Health clinics are affordable and can help you.  This condition is often related to a high Cholesterol level.  These fleshy plugs can also deposit hard Cholesterol on the skin, normally near the eyes.  Xanthomos is associated with Hard plaque, or bad cholesterol.  It is a serious condition which can affect the heart.  Medicine is available if you suffer from it.  So, best to stop eating milk, cheese, greasy fried foods, sodium, and do exercise.  Even I exercise but the liver does not process the cholesterol, thereby leaving plugged pores and unsightly deposits on the body, mainly near the eyes.  Doctors hate treating the condition so you must be persistent in getting blood work done.

type II hyperlipoproteinemia or hypercholesterolemic xanthomatosis.  The
Anglecstormz, I can honestly say I do not have a serious heart condition or cholesterol problems. I speak for myself off course when I say what you have suggested is in no way related or looks like what im experiencing. I looked it up what you wrote and the pics of the bumps under skin is def not what this is. For me I will have a red lump come up on my skin - nowhere nears my eyes always around my chin and surrounds, it is almost like a "blind pimple" under this red lump are small white plugs almost like milia (which is what I originally thought it was). That's a big call what you wrote as I don't eat the foods you advised to cease eating. In fact I am quite a fit healthy 37 year old woman. I've had bloods done as recently as two months ago and I certainly don't have a heart problem. This problem seems to be some kind of fungal, folliculitis, infection issue. Ive had success again with using prescription flamazine cream. I managed to clear them up in about a week, using flamazine overnight with a bandaid.
They can be just about anywhere there is a pore. Your checks , chin , butt , legs , back etc. It's from having yeast overgrowth in your GI track . Some people don't even know they have a problem with their GI track.  But it can cause Havoc on your whole system including your skin.

We also went on Three Lac to help clear up the problem.

Good luck
Never have I had one anywhere but on my face, typically on chin, under fold below lower lip.  I agree with prior writer - they typically start out looking like a blind pimple which would sit there until the end of time.  My assessment is that the plug has formed underneath and makes a papule then enlarges till it drives me nuts with the tingling and swelling.

This is NOT the same as cholesterol deposits in the skin.  It is NOT NOT NOT as easy as avoiding greasy or fatty foods.  I have always done so.  Cholesterol deposits are not painful, anyway.

The human body is extremely complex.  To think that a person without any scientific background can simply figure out the CAUSE is silly.   We might be able to stumble upon a remedy and that seems to be what we are communicating about.  I think there is not likely to be significant research about the problem since it seems to be very rare (from a population standpoint) and is not life-threatening.  If we do find some consensus about a remedy, that might shed some light on the cause for some interested scientist MD to explore (probably one that has the condition!).
I think I have finally found a doc who has listened and am feeling confident...I explained situation and since I last wrote I had two more flare ups so she was able to see what I meant...I exp how last doc in same surgery gave me flamazine and she was quite perplexed as to why he didn't look into this further and look into antibodies he gave me as she believes I suffer from Propionebacterium acnes which is increasingly resistant to some acne antibodies....my doc today read last doc  notes and I seen them...was not happy...he wrote that I was a picker and had caused lesions myself through picking my skin..no mention of what I told him..sticky white things etc...anyhow on a more positive....today's doc had careful look and believes I have Propionebacterium acnes....I've looked this up and think I'm heading in the right direction with this doc....the description of this really sounds like what I have and what we are experiencing....she has prescribed me a gel called duac, that I'm to apply over the areas this is happening, which is my chin, just under and to side of my lips...the site I read about this sounds so much like the problem..even exp how silver (works for some of us) and raw honey are toxic to this bacteria..which is what some of us have had a little success with also....after reading this site I honestly feel my new doc today has found the problem...she was so quick in diagnosing it, after years of docs, dermatologist, beauty therapists, chemists..I walk in to this doc and bam within 5 mins she gives me an answer...I'm confident because this Propionebacterium acne truly sounds like what some of us suffer....I will keep you posted on how the gel is working.....I hope this helps....I can't say for sure it's what we all have but I'm hopeful....
Sorry website that gives a great description of propionbacterium acnes is http://thescienceofacne.com/what-is-propionobacterium-acnes/
I would say that the bacterium you are talking about is one that normally lives on humans but can get inside a pore when there is sebum and skin cell backup and then cause infection.  This is the bacterium usually associated with regular old acne, as far as I have ever heard, and benzoyl peroxide is pretty effective in treating it.
I'm not sure if you have had a chance to read the link I posted about p acnes...as doc said it's not a normal run of the mill acne, I questioned her first off as I've never had acne or pus filled type pimples. As she explained to me it is a bacteria hidden under skin and gets into follicles and creates a type of pustule or numerous pustules and it is hard to kill...she said exactly what I've been trying to say to numerous docs...my lesions look exactly like the pic of the person who created this post..that's exactly what I have and after talking to doc and reading about this it ties in...this form of "acne" is not easily killed and has formed resistance against normal acne antibodies, topical creams etc, also it is under the skin and survives with no oxygen. If you haven't had chance to read the link I urge you to when you have a moment...the cream I have been prescribed was quite expensive and has an antibodic in it that isn't the standard acne antibodies, it's a very strong cream and you don't just rub it on your lesions you apply it to all over areas you are prone to suffer these things..I'm on my third day and had three of these ugly lesions and two healing...since starting the three have started to die and heal over...as my doc said it's going to take time but we need to kill bacteria...I'm extremely confident with listening to my doc and reading about p acne that she may have found the issue...my face is really cleaning up, I had a lump start to form a day before doc and starting cream...and I knew it was anthr lesion forming..after starting cream the lump has vanished within two days...wishing you all the best
I just found this discussion and this is EXACTLY what I've had for about 3 years. I've been to three different doctors, tried all sorts of antibiotics, had biopsies ( reg staph infection), and tried every over the counter meds I can think of. I'm anxious to know if this prescribed cream is working for you. Please keep us posted.
I've been using this cream prescribed for a week now and It's been great. The two stubborn lesions have since healed and are now small slightly red marks. I put the cream on at night all around my chin, jaw, basically all of lower half of my face from below my nose. I personally am confident my new doc has diagnosed the condition. One comment above stated it's norm acne. But if the link is read I posted before passing a judgement....it is not the "norm" bacteria acne and is hard to kill.....as the site I posted link to says.....

..." P. acnes bacteria can form sticky clumps of bacteria known as biofilms that help to anchor and protect the bacteria at the site of infection.  In many cases, bacterial biofilms have been shown to contribute to long term infections, and may play a role in the persistence of P. acnes infection in some individuals".

This is closest I have ever read that sounds so very similar to what we are speaking of... Some interesting points  I have posted for you...

"Several Over-The-Counter medications, like benzoyl peroxide and triclosan, are also directly toxic to P. acnes bacteria. However, these topically applied medications have difficulty penetrating to the base of the hair follicle, which is where the P. acnes bacteria are causing problems"

"Researchers have also found that P. acnes bacteria is becoming increasingly resistant to some of the common antibiotics used to treat acne, like erythromycin and tetracycline family drugs (tetracycline, doxycycline and minocycline)."

I also noted that some of us have had a small win with honey, tea tree oil, silver...interestingly it's mentioned that these are mentioned.

I'm really happy with gel I'm using, it has made a huge difference, as doc said and pharmacist as well as info on the gel, it takes sometime to kill this bacteria and the week I've used it I've noticed a huge improvement. Previously I wld finally get rid of one as a new one began, this time around with this treatment I have none forming and area around my chin etc is clear, clean and no signs of these lesions forming.

I can never say it would work for all as I'm no doc :)....but I am so happy, previously I have had lesions last for over three months and full of plugs...

I hope this helps you a little....
So can you please let us know what is in the the cream you were prescribed? I too have suffered from this horrific condition for 8 years now, and over $12K in expenses. Numerous cultures and biopsies. Not even the dermatologists at Stanford know what I have! They are thinking auto-immune, but I have had horrible reactions to the immunomodulators they have prescribed, without improvement.
So can you please let us know what is in thee cream you were prescribed? I too have suffered from this horrific condition for 8 years now, and over $12K in expenses. Numerous cultures and biopsies. Not even the dermatologists at Stanford know what I have!
If you read previous posts from LGP36 you would learn  that she was prescribed Duac gel. This is prescription meds so you'll have to go to dr.
I appreciate you staying in contact to keep us apprised of the new med you are using. I'm making a dr appt tomorrow. I am having back surgery soon and I worry about this infection spreading to my back. I'm trying to hold off surgery until I get a handle on this.

Besides all the over the counter meds mentioned in previous posts I've also mixed a solution of Epsom salt and warm water, soaked cotton in the solution and held to area for a few minutes. It's not a cure but does calm it down for a few days.

Good luck and hope to hear back on your progress.
I hope all goes well for you at the doc.

I am really pleased with results I have had. My face is really clean. I have slowed down using the duac now as I find I don't need it on every day. I clean my face with a soap by Neutrogena and also a pore cleanser and then if required I put the duac on at night. I was putting it on every night and morning for a couple of weeks but now my face has cleared up I no longer do so, so often. Last lesion I had, took a few days to clear up but is now gone. They no longer turn into big ugly red sores anymore like they use to and have only lasted a few days. I personally feel my doc has fixed my problem and after reading every thing I could about Propionebacterium acne, it sounds exactly like I was suffering, with the biofilm fleshy plugs which is the infection part that duac seems to have targeted.

Wishing you all the best and I hope you can get on top of it :-)..
as Othaus has said and as mentioned in my previous post the Duac is a prescription gel, I could not tell you all the ingredients in this. It is best you do a search on the net as I did about it when my doc prescribed it to me.

I am in Australia and the gel for me was quite expensive, but I am happy to try anything and this has worked really well for me and im pleased wit the results. My doc has given me three repeats of the script so I can go back and get it again without having to see the doc, which is great. It is a gel and has an antibody in it that works against killing bacteria that  Propionebacterium acne creates. Other than that I do not know the full ingredients as said it is a prescribed medication not an off the shelf one.

all the best
Thank you for responding. I looked up Duac and it is a combination of clindamycin phosphate and benzoyl peroxide. I have tried both these and have been biopsied and cultured many times, no bacteria found, But I happy for you that it worked! Mine is still a mystery disease but it presents very similar to yours.
You wld think that there wld be bacteria...esp as this presents like an infection...I have had another flare up in last 24hrs...above my lip...continuing to put duac on it...it's drying it out but I can see about 4 of these fleshy seed things...duac seems to be helping it, I'm not touching it or trying to remove the seeds....it's not angry red like I used to get...I just look fward to day I stop getting these things...
God bless the woman that started this thread in 2010 and all of you who responded, indicating you are and have been suffering. I saw she posted the same topic to the Doctor's Lounge online and received only 2 responses. Hmmmm....how many doctors are actually on call on that site! I suffer from a similar dilemma. It's great to know that I'm not alone.
Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing your situation. This is quite painful. I've suffered with these facial issues over a year now, but it's good to realize I'm not alone. I've followed this posting for awhile now, and just had the courage to post. So please don't beat me up! LOL  I'm 47, female, and have had normal skin all of my life until this past year. People have said I'm beautiful. I WAS.  Hydrocolloid bandages are part of my wardrobe now. It's so distressing. I've seen the dermatologist and an allergy/ENT physician. Was prescribed steroids by both and told to use advanced healing bandaids. I've purchase so many, to no avail. The last few days I was desperate for a cure, so I applied hydrogen peroxide to my face, and sat in the sun for an hour hoping to dry it out. Then I applied Noxema several times, and when I washed it off, there went my skin with it! I still have one small hole under my left eye with the fleshy stuff in it. Fleshy white plugs coming out all over my face by simply rubbing the Noxema on it. I have only one scar from picking at the first lesion that appeared on my right check. The whole thing began with a clogged pore on that side of my face and the pressure was building up. So I pushed on it to relieve the pressure, and that's when the drama of these past 13 months began. White fleshy pustules started coming out of my cheek. They spread to my jaw and lip area. Then it spread to the left side of my face. The predominant problem areas now are under both eyes, on top of my cheeks. Looks like a rollercoaster. I'm scared to have any more scars. Supposed to see dermatologist in 2 weeks. Right now my face is red, peeling and uneven. Lines were forming in the hydrocolloid bandages so I took them off. One side had oozing crusty sores to boot. I have neosporin on it now. Will go back to hydrocolloid bandages in the morning. This has affected every area of my life.
The one time I got all the fleshy plugs out? That's when it left a scar. I need help soon..one big scar is enough.
Have you tried silver cream to clear up the sores. This is one cream I swear by. Unfortunately it doesn't stop them forming but is certainly helps clear them up once lesions have formed...I was prescribed a silver ointment by doc few months back. At present I have one lesion that I'm attacking with duac and at night silver cream and a silver based band aid. As always for me silver ointment has all but cleared it up. Just a red spot now that is healing over nicely. Since I've been using duac as well as flamazine I haven't had big breakouts like I had cple yrs ago and 6months ago. Will be interested to hear what your derma says...
Your experience with Duac for the first time in 8 years has brightened my days. Thank you.
I am happy to be here where most of us have the problem shown in the photo. Finally I found people struggling with the same problem and I have been watching this forum for about 3 weeks now.  Having visited 14 dermatologists in 8 years, I was  either told to visit a psychiatrist or use steroids. My scar stories  (from the beginning of the first pop-up, picking the plugs until they don't feel as if another layer, the formation of crust, and sometimes another flare-up and at last a healed crater) usually took around 2-3 months each. Sometimes a 2 day period without scars, but usually just during the latest stage of the previous scar, a new one always showed up..I tried Clindoxyl gel, just after reading about Duac, but unfortunately the day following a tweezer pickup. Wish I knew about this forum one day prior.

It's intersting that, tomorrow probably I will not be having the crust on top of the scar either. 3 weeks' healing time is great. I hope not to have any more and if they appear again, will be putting on the gel immediately. I will be posting more in the coming weeks and hopefully with good news.

The plugs (having a habit of plucking them) seemed to be more soft and instead of plucking I squeezed (actually while it was an open sore) and some of them came out as soft white heads.

I hope not to deal with plugs that have the elasticity and resistence to be pulled out any longer. Will keep you informed.
female, 42..
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers