Fleshy Plugs Under Skin In Pores on Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-295 comments:
This is caused by a mite called Demodex.  I suggest that everybody on this forum google and find out more about demodicosis.  You have to go to your dermatologist and get prescriptions for ivermectin (oral) and permethrin cream.  You cover your entire body with the permethrin cream so that the mites have nowhere to go.  That treatment works pretty quickly.

In addition, there are several anti-Demodex treatments on Amazon.com.  But the most effective by far is the prescription ivermectin/permethrin.  Tea tree oil, borax, sulfur and so forth are suggested as treatments but, at least in my experience, they were not effective.
I keep getting them on my nose its seems to have spread on to different parts of my face I currently have 1 on my nose and here are close ups I took with a macro lens on my iphone. you can clearly see the skin around it is peeled off...every time  get one the skin around it is like a wound It literally feels like my body is trying to eject it because it gets a little yellow/clear liquid like a pimple Ill squeeze and a little liquid comes but the "white plug"  will stick out a little more but never fully come out unless I dig it out. and that really results in bad scaring

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ljkokl.jpg
after I removed that small piece from my nose that I previously posted it seems it has "regrown" http://i57.tinypic.com/10wmovl.jpg it's like no matter what it wont go away. Its definitely not a pimple all though the irritation from this "growth" makes it appear to look like one surfacely.
http://www.mdjunction.com/diary/living-with-morgellons-disease/entry-3-there-is-hope
I do not think I have demodex or morgellons - my condition looks nothing like any of the photos of the two ailments. I do think this is yeast related and a few weeks back, stopped drinking beer.... I love beer! But I have to say, my face has cleared up considerably and the spots that are there are FINALLY receding! There are a few that have been vexing me well over a year!

If you like beer. Stop for a few weeks to see what happens. It's working so far with me... too bad I can't drink beer anymore. :-(
I know exactly how you feel.  I not only had lesions, but health side effects too. If you look up Lyme- that was everything else wrong with my immune system besides the lesions/sores.  Like you I have been to so many dermatologist, rounds and rounds of antibiotics that killed my gut and ultimate made me worse, and still with no answers.  Any dermatologist to this day will tell me that my lesions are cystic acne- but I know I don’t.  I was screaming to find anyone who would work with me to understand what was happening to me.  Before I found this threat, I tried a Holistic approach to all my issues its called (TBM) Total Body Modification. In September I told her that I think I had Lyme- which is similar to Morgellon's symptoms without the lesions, then I worked up enough guts to tell her I think I had Morgellon's and she believes its a thing and works with people so that's an option to talk to a professional who may not think you are crazy, well my TBM lady didn't think I was crazy at all.   Her and I have been working together about once a month for about 8 months now, slowly helping me feel better and I was even at at point when my lesions didn't show up for like 2 months- then I cheated and consumed everything below on my don't list and the lesions came back. But I still go to her and she helps treat my everyday symptoms of fatigue, foggy head and all that stuff.  Below are some of the things I  do and just order to try

-Domeboro Powder Packets (read directions on how to use-  I do it every day  pm/ and am if necessary - it stops the leaking of the lesions for me) http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/first-aid/itch-rash-treatment/domeboro-powder-packets-skuid-313866
-A variation of Vitamins(I Definitely take Turmeric)
-Exercise everyday(lesions are embarrassing but at least go outside and run/Hot Yoga anything that makes you sweat)
-Switch between Hydrogen Peroxide/Alcohol occasionally on the lesions
-Kleen Green(I just order the following link is a another blog with info) http://************/forums/am.asp?i=1931725
-Drink 2Tablespoons of Apple Cider vinegar am/pm (to help kill the little bugs/Morgellons’s internally )
-Colloidal silver – (About a shot glass full to kill internally/ run on my lesions)

Don’ts
(The Morgellon’s feed on all the things you love and shouldn’t eat/drink..that’s why symptoms get worse- for me at least)
Alcohol
Gluten
Complex Carbs and Grains(I don’t eat bread, bagels, pizza….)
Bad sugars and Sweets (Candy, cake,  no ice cream…)

Medical Spa treatments I have received
Revlite laser Therapy- (Helped heal the open lesions surprisingly well)
Chemical Peel (Helped get rid of the uneven built up layered skin around open lesions)
IPL photo facial (Is only good for skin that isn't open to help reduce discoloration)

I hope some of this information is helpful.  Let me know if you want the full go around of all my vitamins I take. I have an am/pm thing for my vitamins. They are absolutely necessary for me to take daily

Ive been using collide silver, vitamin d, garlic tablets, cephalexin, flagyl,  put a D battery on my tounge and hold on differnt parts of my body and drying all my clothes with bounce fabric sheets) static blocks the signals. It seems to be workiing. I can hear abd feel the bugs popping, and my body deflating. I was so infested my body was swelling. I thought it was weight gain.
accutane don t work
ve been using collide silver, vitamin d, garlic tablets, cephalexin, flagyl,  put a D battery on my tounge and hold on differnt parts of my body and drying all my clothes with bounce fabric sheets) static blocks the signals. It seems to be workiing. I can hear abd feel the bugs popping, and my body deflating. I was so infested my body was swelling. I thought it was weight gain.
I don't drink at all...I even cut back on soda but since halloween have been eating  a lot of sugar  and carbs are my fav :( the thing on my nose is healing more since I last posted it is almost gone now. I have been washing with sulfur soap using sulfur ointment and treating with tea tree oil. Normally when I get them it last for weeks so Im feeling like this is helping and it is not leaving a deep scar like the others have part of it is not digging it out and letting it gradually come to the surface and remove pieces of it.

I have no clue what this is if this is demodex or whatever others have stated not to many pictures have been posted and most are not as close up as mine or as detailed unfortunately but we all seem to have similar symptoms. I desperately need an answer to preventing this all together. I am so tired of avoiding going in public because of the huge mountains I get on my nose

Miconazole Nitrate cream and Prescription Metronidazole is working for my Lesions
I also use organic honey on my open lesions. It cost me like $15 from Whole Foods, but it is one of the few things that works consistently for my open lesions.  For some reason I tried local honey and regular honey, and nothing worked as well as Organic Honey.  

So after all of this - how do we stop these lesion things from recurring? Is there a method for prevention?
well i have been suffering from the same thing for 10 years - i have tried it all, coal tar, bactroban, bacitracin, minocycline, tetracycline, penicillen, keflex, amoxicillin, augmenton, levaquin, diflucan, antifungal creams - all of them, steriods, etc, etc, etc, and the list goes on - to treat these leisions that show up for no reason and disappear usually years later and those little bumps feel like someone has just injected acid into your skin - god almighty i could never believe that something like that could hurt so much - and i am a nurse - ok long story short i bought rosacea which is sulfur - so tonight my skin is a mess and i read your blog - and i am like ok i have some upstairs - well up the stairs i went started applying it and letting is dry and like some miracle from heaven those damn white plugs dried up and came to the surface the pain went away i was able to get that crust off without creating more of a wound and the redness and oozing are gone....OMG - OH MY MOTHER OF GOD - THANK YOU - i am optimistic that finally you have cured me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These plugs are parasites. DO NOT LET ANYONE CONVINCE YOUR OTHERWISE …and believe me, they’ll try (ill-informed dermatologists included). The parasites are called Demodex mites. That plug is the adult stage of the mite. Usually, humans are only inhabited by Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis. I suspect you’re describing the Demodex injai, the "large-body" Demodex. You'll want to get rid of these things ASAP and with extreme prejudice. I wound up with an all-out infestation because it took me 7 years, 5 useless dermatologists, and 2 ill-equipped primary care physicians to figure it out. One dermatologist accused me of making the sores myself and suggested I take an anti-depressant. But, don't get me started on that... I even had an elevated IGg because my system was so irritated by them. Anyway, back to the mites …The adults move around on your skin (usually at night because they don’t like light) and give you an itchy, crawly sensation. After they mate, the pregnant female emerges to lays eggs. When the pregnant female comes out, it looks kind of like a regular pimple. But, no puss comes out it-only fluid- and it gets red and irritated if you mess with it. The eggs she lays around the area where she emerged, that look kind of like "spindles." They’re down inside your skin but have little white hairs sticking out of your pores. Those hairs get a little thicker and will sometimes fall out as the egg evolves into an adult mite. Don’t bother pulling them out. The hairs will simply detach and the mite will stay in your pore. The adult mites are NOTHING NICE. They have, what I call venom (for lack of a better word), that causes a sever immune response. If you mess with them, they create this clear fluid that makes a hole in your skin. If you persist, they will make you bleed profusely. I think that stuff is an anti-coagulant too! After you lose the battle (and you will), your skin feels like it's on FIRE. Depending upon how much you messed with them, you'll either have a sore spot that won't heal or a plasticky quasi-scab looking thing …on top of a sore that won’t heal. If you lift up the plasticky scab, you can see the adult mites attached to the underside of it. I say that to say this: DON’T BOTHER MESSING WITH THEM. You will not get them out without putting a deep hole in your skin. They just dig down deeper if you try to pull them out with tweezers. The immune response will make a real mess of your face. You cannot kill the adult Demodex with creams because they move down into your pores beyond the reach of topical miticides. You cannot kill adult Demodex with ingested miticides because they have a hard outer shell that protects them from absorbing the chemicals. If you pinch one of those white plugs really hard with some tweezers you can hear it crunch. (I even tried applying a tiny bit of RAID …didn’t work.) I got rid of the MF’ers with 3 things: (1) Ivermectin, (2) Permethrin SFR, and (3) sulfur paste (all of which I found at the local feed store for animals). First: Use Ivermectin to kill the mid-stage mites. I used the equine version. It’s a paste with 1.87% Ivermectin. (DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IVERMECTIN DOSES ARE DETERMINED BY WEIGHT. I SIMPLY USED THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF PASTE FOR MY WEIGHT. I HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, BUT BE CAREFUL). Within 6-8 hours of your first dose of Ivermectin, you'll see the mites pushing out of your pores IN DROVES. Because it only kills the mid-stage mites (not eggs or adults), you’ll need to take Ivermectin once a week, for 4-6 weeks. When you take the Ivermectin, change your bed sheets every night, for at least three nights. Also, buy a few extra pillow cases so you can have a newly washed pillow case every night for at least four weeks. I STRONGLY suggest this measure because the mites wreaked havoc on my scalp. My hair has not grown for more than 3 years. You may want to use Selson Blue shampoo for 4 to 6 weeks, just in case. Second: Use Permethrin SFR, which is 38.6 % Permethrin, to kill the eggs. Dilute it in a spray bottle and spray EVERYTHING in your house, including mattresses, couches, carpets, etc. …EVERYTHING. Then, vacuum really good, and spray EVERYTHING again. Buy new pillows too. Wash ALL CLOTHING and LINENS in hot water. Put them in the dryer on “high heat.” I even lightly sprayed the Permethrin solution on the dried laundry, and the replaced bed sheets. Permethren is not really toxic to humans, and it’s odorless once it dries (PLEASE READ THE PACKAGING THOROUGLY). WHILE I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS: I poured ¾ cup of the Permethrin SFR in my bath water. After soaking for a short time, there were so many eggs (with the white hairs) that my bath water had a film on it. I only did this because I had a full-on infestation. Third: Apply the sulfur paste all over your body. It’s a little tricky to apply, so I suggest wearing gloves. Also, it’s really thick and has a strong smell. I used Pierce’s All Purpose Nu-Stock. I had to mix the paste with baby oil to get it to spread. You’re supposed to wear it, kind of like calamine lotion, for 3 days straight. Then re-apply, on top of the first application, and wear for another 3 days. The objective is to keep the adult mites from mating and laying new eggs. I realize this is a lot. But, BELIEVE ME, you do not want to be infested with these things. This has been a 7-year nightmare for me …finally coming to an end. Good luck!
Just like everyone else, I am glad to come across this forum for the same reasons. I wanted to say I'm leaning toward the mites for sure. I started recently learning about essential oils. So of course my first project is my face!!! I found an oil that I believe will prove successful when used daily. I can across a recipe, simple.... 2tsp raw honey AND 2 drops clove oil (considered a hot oil so do NOT use more...it will burn....literally!). I put this on my face for 15 minutes then washed it off. I had already started using jojoba daily with a couple Essential oils in it. But the next morning after the honey and clove I got REALLY excited cause all bit one spot (a big boy) was 95% healed up. 2nd night did honey...skin was even better. 3rd night I used a mix I made with a few oils including clove. I will use this everyday at least once. I still have the big one but its healing. I truly believe with daily application my clove acne formula will keep my face clear. My pores shrunk and no blackheads. I'm getting excited. I will continue to update. Literally Last night was day 3..... Blessings....
I have been using sulfur ointment/soap 100% teatree oil and retin A for my acne scaring I havent had any bad ones on my nose lately but I have noticed for a minute they were going to other parts of my face not just my nose like before. It seems to gradually be calming down my skin has done a complete turn around. But ive tried so many suggestions here and this has been the only thing to semi help. I dont use the sulfur or teatree oil daily but the retin A yes (not sure if this also aided in my improvement but def with the scars and dark marks)
I can't express how relieved I am to have found this forum - I've searched for an explanation behind these stretchy-white-plug-things on and off for years but this is the first time I've found a cause and potential cure!  I actually cried with relief whilst reading this forum last week!

After reading posts above, particularly the recent post by pthesmith (thank you!) I am 99.9% certain that for the past 5 years I have been fighting a losing battle against the demodex mite :(  When it first began it was so weird to have broken out in spots in my late twenties as I was one of the smug luck people who had pretty good skin in their teens.   Since then I've  torn my face apart with tweezers trying to remove these white plugs as my face wouldn't heal until they were all gone.  I've tried all sorts of remedies and considered all sorts of possible causes including a build up of keratin, a delayed side-effect of taking anti-depressants or a fungus.  Interestingly I have also had occasional blepharitis which I hadn't connected to my skin issue but have since learned is also a sysptom of the demodex mite!

Since discovering this thread last week I have purchased an antimicrobial wash called HiBiScrub (easily obtained and affordable from Amazon) which I have washed with every day for three days now from the tips of my hair to my toes and I am already noticing the results!  My skin seems smoother and pores are less noticeable and my whole face seems less puffy which is weird as I hadn't realised it was puffy - I thought that was just how I looked lol!  I've also noticed that the few spots or 'lesions' on my face which would normally take weeks to heal have almost healed already!!  The wash dries my skin a bit so I have also purchased a silver colloidal cream for my face to give it a double antimicrobial whammy and a moisture hit.

I've taken heed of pthesmith's advice and have systematically begun washing EVERYTHING that can be washed to try and prevent re-infestation of this damned parasite.  I'm also throwing out my makeup and buying fresh products and avoiding anything with a reusable applicator.  Instead I've bought some makeup sponge applicators that I can rinse daily with a bit of HiBiScrub.  

I first noticed symptoms after I had been working in a call centre for a while and as I was constantly changing desks and computer keyboards etc  I guess I may have picked it up from someone who had used the desk before me :(  Easy to pick up, hell to be rid of!  Weirdly my partner hasn't got any symptoms but he does have a very strong immune system whilst mine is weak as I've been suffering from stress for some time which has been worsened by my skin issues but hopefully I'll have this under control in the near future! :D

Good luck to everyone with these awful symptoms, I hope that my experiences and solutions will be of help to others and thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this forum: you've put me at ease knowing that I was not alone and have provided some excellent information and advice!  I can't thank you enough!
Hi All, I haven't posted in a long while, as I've been observing my own condition... Using a 30-60X lighted magnifier to examine what is coming off of and OUT of the skin on my face.  I've been doing this for a year now, and I want to share my experiences and observations with you.  I now have an idea of what it might be... a fungus.

Look up images of the fungal genus Chaetomium, then add the word perithecia to it.  This is what is coming off and out of my face. I've also found it in the dust in my home... It's coming out of the air ducts.  I used a piece of clear tape to pull up a sample, folded the tape over then examined it under magnification.  I've even got a sample growing in tap water.  I started it by using a brand new container with a lid, and taking a sample with a sterile swab.  I do mention a possible treatment near the bottom of the post, so if you want to skip my story, you can go to the bottom.

My lesions start as pimple-looking, but the pustule is off center. .  I've noticed a dark/pigmented circular border that is a bit out from the "pimple", but is consistently there.  Popping the pustule, I get a very small amount of pus, but then beneath the pus there are LOTS of cigar-shaped organisms that come out.  I rubbed back and forth across the open lesion (sometimes a bit roughly) and then looked at what was on my finger under magnification.  It was YUCK.

The lesions then ulcerated with a recessed center and a raised and very thick border.  I could see white dots in the ulcer that appeared to be more of the cigar-shaped things.  The ulcer would appear to scab over, but it's a fake scab that is made of more cigar-shaped things. The lesions don't really heal, but just get covered up.  I have scraped the tops off these lesions many times and had to get rough with them.  These bastards are determined to live. Someone mentioned a gel containing silver helps, and I really am indebted to that person.  Place silver gel on a small round band aid and cover the growing pustule. Start this as early as possible...  When it does pop, most of the bugs will be dead.  

I've discovered many, MANY layers of these fungi on my face... In fact, I believe I haven't seen my real skin in years.  After removal of a bunch of the whitish cigar-shaped things, I reached a layer that released hard, yellow-brownish, lemon-shaped things.  There are thousands of them.  THEN, beneath that layer, it's like friggin' plexiglass.  My skin is pulled so tight that it hurts, especially around my eyes and mouth.  It's even difficult to open my mouth to eat.  When I finally managed to break through this layer, the 3 different layers just repeated... and repeated... and repeated.  Over the last year, I swear I've removed a hundred or more layers.  If you have a full time job, getting through the layers will be difficult, as the removal process alone is a full time job.

I finally was able to see an infectious disease doctor, I didn't tell him what I thought it was; I simply told him the facts and impress upon him that it bilateral and symmetric.  I noticed that in the beginning of the exam, he didn't wear gloves, but about half-way through, he put them on.  He ordered a series of blood tests, all designed to test my immune system and any immunodeficiency that I might have. Most chronic fungal infections are in immunocompromised individuals. As a first step, he sent in a scrip for an antibiotic, but he also prescribed ketoconazole, which is a topical anti-fungal.  I go back to see him in less than 2 weeks, and I plan to take my tape samples along with my culture in water.  

Doing my own research on treatments for fungal infections, I ran across the drug terbinafine. The cream is sold  OTC as Lamisil.  It was somewhat effective, but not nearly enough.  There's an oral form of terbinafine that can be purchase online from outside the US (amazon).  The 250mg dose, 1 per day, is making a huge difference. BUT PLEASE LOOK INTO IT FOR YOURSELF.  Of course I didn't tell the doc I was taking it, but I can't wait for him to come to the correct conclusion while I continue to suffer.

Infections with Chaetomium  are still not considered by the medical community, but I think that they are much more widespread.  Using my magnifier, I have found the white hyphae and some black tangles all over my body, but the only lesions are on my face, back, chest and scalp.  If you think this describes you, please look into it.  I think the only way it will start to be recognized is by getting doctors to order fungal cultures. If you can, avoid the dermatologists and try to get into an infectious disease doc.  When I called, I was told they only took doctor's referrals.  I wouldn't take no for an answer, telling her that I believe I have a severe infection on my face that the dermatologists continue to call rosacea even though it started on my back.  She made me an appointment for 1 week later.

Sorry for the poor grammar in part of the post above.  I was editing, and boy did I miss out on correcting a couple of sentences.

I also wanted to mention that this infection is in my eyes and sinuses as well.  
Take a look at my post from 1/30/2015.  I've been suffering from this since 2007, and I agree, it is the most horrible thing I've ever experienced.  I don't want to even be seen in public.  See if the OTC cream Lamisil (terbinafine) helps even a little bit.  If it does, go to your GP and suggest trying a prescription anti-fungal called ketoconazole.  I went to an infectious disease doctor (dermatologists only treat conditions... they don't consider infections, unless they are bacterial in nature) and he prescribed doxycycline pills, an antibiotic,  but I could tell he was also thinking fungal, thus the ketoconazole.  I saw improvement in my face  within hours of using the ketoconazole.  Not sure about the doxy yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bacterial infection tagging along in the ulcers.

Look up photos of the genus Chaetomium.  The curled black threads and the long tapered hyphae look pretty much like what is coming off my face.

I'm not ruling out that there was a demodex infestation on the top surface of this mess, but after a while the sulfur stopped working.  Use a face scrub several times a day, too.  It helped my break through the many, many layers that I found beneath the surface.
Thanks for the update.  When the Accutane did nothing, I requested my GP prescribe an anti fungal  and he did.  It didn't really do much, I can't remember what it exactly was.  I have also tried anti fungal shampoos.  I will try the Lamisil to attempt to get some sort of relief as things have gotten much worse.  

If you noticed things coming from your vents have you made any investigation into removing the source from your home?  I've often thought this may be due to something external. I have been to an allergist before and the only thing that came up was that I was highly allergic to dust mites.  
These running posts are still amazing.  I have been following since last year. I just wanted to shout out to anyone that there is a Morgellons Conference hosted by the Charles E. Holman Morgellons Disease Foundation. Its in Austin, Texas March 28 & 29 this year. I have done a lot of my own research but it would be nice to hear some of the professional they have speaking about it.  Link below for more info

http://www.thecehf.org/morgellons-2015-conference/
I've read nearly every post, and yet there is still no diagnosis or cure for the original poster's condition? I'm 41 and I've had this condition since I was 16.

I have to roll my eyes at everyone posting what they believe the problem is, as if they can solving and wrap-up a life-long debilitating problem that easily.

So to summarize:

The original poster talks of a white rubbery plug rooted deep in the middle of problematic acne-type sores. These lesions don't heal until this plug is pulled out (it never comes out naturally).

They aren't mites. The plugs are about 10 times larger than the largest skin mite that I've seen pictures of.

They aren't ringworm. The pictures I've seen of ringworm look nothing whatsoever like the sores caused by the large white plug roots.

They aren't Cysts. They don't contain liquid - they are solid and rubbery. They CAUSE cysts though, if not removed at the root.

They aren't sebaceous plugs. They are strongly ROOTED deep in the pours and stretch like rubber if you clasp one with tweezers or between fingernails. Crystallized sebum isn't rubbery and doesn't stretch, but there is usually solidified sebum plugging the surface of the pour which has one of these white rubbery plugs.

It's not morgellons. The plugs are bulbous, not like fibers.

It's not a staph infection. Although, the inflammation it causes can lead to staph.

It could be a fungus. It certainly looks like a miniature mushroom of sorts. It grows back again and again like a plant or bacterial mass. However, I don't personally suffer from any fungal problem anywhere else.

It could be a wart. It's certainly wart-like, and wart treatments are very effective. Going deep into the skin to root it out seems like the only effective way to heal the skin.

In the 25 years I've been trying to fix this social-life-disabling pain-in-the-backside, I have tried various solutions. Diets, topical solutions, vitamins, herbs, teas, voodoo, rain dances, you-name-it!

There is no medical name yet for this condition - don't even try to diagnose it using Google - you can't - I've been trying for the past 10 years.

Yes, I'm a picker. Picking is a symptom of this condition, not the cause. Remove the picking and you still have a problem - for better or worse.

I'm impressed at the lengths some of the posters have gone into researching this, especially JG4846. Hoever, JG4846, it sounds like you have a different condition.

Someone needs to remove one of these rubbery white plugs and examine them in a microscope. They are the size of a small grain of rice. If you're lucky enough to get the very root out, the root has a fish-like tail, as if to suggest it was sitting at the very base of a hair follicle and occupying both the hair root and sebaceous gland. Maybe if the plug is a parasite, it is feeding from sebum?

If left alone, they can rest under the skin for weeks, growing slowly until they eventually cause inflammation which leads to a cyst or a pustule. If you're lucky they will grow big enough until they start to push their way to the surface and look like a whitehead. They will continue to grow under the skin until the skin is broken. Usually there is no puss, or "plaque", or liquid of any kind. It's a dry rubbery long bulb which can is easy to pull at at this stage. It will grow back within days though, which is the biggest problem, as it will sit under the scab indefinitely until it's removed again. Eventually the grow-back slows down enough to let it heal until a couple of weeks later it grows back to the surface. They seem to be worse where there is hair, around the mouth, even on the back of my head and neck.

Stress does make it worse. What is the body producing when stressed that these plugs like so much?

The only thing I've found helpful so far is nettle soap. It calms the inflammation down. I leave the lather on my skin to dry. It's especially good after I've had a picking session.

Hopefully this information will add to the melting pot and someone can help find a solution.
What kind of soap/brand are you using?  I'd do anything for just a little relief, these things are just out of control!  
Don't buy branded chemical soups. I get them from eBay where there are a lot of sellers who make soaps naturally. Buy soap made using the cold-pressed method. Seller's by law need to have their product cleared by the industry regulators and have to identify the ingredients used. This soap is by far better than anything you'll find on the shelf in a supermarket. Avoid chemicals. It's also better to support independent crafts this way. I didn't bat an eyelid at the price because anything that helps this problem is priceless.

I've also purchased some 10% Sulphur, 3% Salicylic acid soap recently. This doesn't calm the inflammation, but it helps to bring the debris under the skin to the surface and hardens it. It helps reduce the need to dig deeper into the flesh to fish it out. So I will wash with this, leave the lather to dry and soak into the skin. Then later I will wash it off - pick gunk out if I have to, then wash with nettle soap and let the lather dry - this is the best thing that's helped me so far. It prevents my skin from cracking, and calms the redness, and, after a while, it leaves a good base for any concealer you have to use.

Neat tea tree seems to have a similar affect to this soap. Causes inflammation though. So, like the soap, it can cause a break-out - which is inevitable anyway.

I think one other thing that can help a lot is limiting the damage you do to the epidermis trying to remove the offending white debris from deep within the dermis. Damage around the area is unnecessary if you can get deep enough to pluck the stuff out, or you're lucky enough to be able to grasp it at the surface to pull it out at the root without it breaking. I use my fingernails rather than tweezers - it gives a much better grip. Fingernail hygiene is a must if you do this. Another thing I use is a narrow-bladed scalpel which is useful for getting down into a pour/duct and plucking at the root of it.

So to clarify: If you're strong-willed enough to resist picking, the problem doesn't go away. A problem area will swell and swell until the inflammation causes a painful cyst or pustule. You can clean this up and it will never heal until you clean it up and then remove the white rubbery root thing that caused it in the first place - it never goes away without manual intervention. After over 25 years of trying different things, self-surgery is still the only solution so far. Even then, it will grow back again in a week or month. So, try to reduce the damage you do (I understand how picking can become a frenzy - try to do it with surgical precision), and calm the skin down with anti-inflammatory.

I'm experimenting with diets. I'm eating more fruit, drinking more water, cutting down on sugar, gluten, meat. It's made NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever.

I think I'm a lot more fortunate than a lot of people suffering with this problem. I am lucky that my skin heals very quickly and doesn't scar. And I've become a master at using concealer. So, unless it's really really bad, I can still manage to hide the problem enough to feel okay about leaving the front door. It's not ideal, but at least I can sort-of lead a normal life. If I could give any one of you anything from this, I would give you the confidence to go out and face the world and look people in the eye when you talk to them...

I still live in hope that someone will diagnose this and cure it. Until then, there's a whole bunch of know-it-alls that believe we're simply deluded and picking at imaginary stuff under the skin.
Guys, the "plugs" are hair follicles that are inflamed because of the acne bacteria that is infecting the area. This was explained to me by more than one dermatologist that I showed a a high res photo to.  I was given a round of antibiotics and it immediately responded.  I wish I had seen a dermatologist and gotten on antibiotics so much sooner than I waited for.  Months of crying and frustration and feelings of despair could have been avoided, not to mention a couple of scars, though they are fading.  

Do not pick or scrub your skin.  You are not helping.  Bacteria can't be washed or scrubbed or picked away and this is not your normal type of "acne," though it is in fact a form of adult acne.
What kind of antibiotics were you given?  I've already tried Doxycycline and Minocycline and they have done nothing.  
You are me in a nutshell.  I have pretty much have been homebound for 5 going on 6 years now.  The thought of going out looking the way I do is most of the time insurmountable.  My mother booked a Christmas cruise for all our family a few years ago.  I couldn't deal with the thought of dressing up with the way my face looked.  I made an excuse and I did not go.  My mom died a year later.  I know this cruise was important to her and I am her only daughter (her buddy).  I lost my husband due to me not being able to come to terms with my acne/???  

To this day no one knows why I really missed the family cruise nor does my ex husband know why I became so withdrawn.  To him I was just not fun anymore.  Being so into himself he wasn't going to stand by me through the "bad" times.  As long as I was there to do his "activities" all was good. We were together for 15 years.

You are right.  "This just isn't a life."  The thought of suicide has crossed my mind also, however, we both know this is not the answer.  We are not in control of when our life will end.  God is.  I know my faith in Him is the only thing that is getting me through this.  I sure hope it is his will to heal me but if he doesn't I know he has a reason.  This said, it is still very hard to live each day feeling the way we feel.

I struggle everyday with the same issue you do.  You are not alone.  I am trying very hard through my faith in God to find inner peace with my acne/???  Since most doctors don't how to help us.  

I wish you peace and happiness and believe me I know this is easier said than done.

I have suffered and I mean suffered from this for years now. I have tried everything! Recently I was told it was yeast or bacteria and to try Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, it causes the nucleus to implode. I did. It's only been a few days but I do see improvement. About an hour after first application the white plugs started to surface and were easily removed without picking and no longer appeared to be attached to the blood vessel or whatever causes bleeding when plucked. I hope I have found the cure because I sure am tired of looking like a drug addict and locking myself away oh and the tears I've shed over these painful mutant sores. It has to be Virgin Coconut Oil, refined versions won't work effectively. Best of luck to all.
AleceStarr, thanks for an idea!

I tried everything and start to think it's some kind of resistant fungus.

Recently I began to take itraconazole orally (200 mg a day) + clotrimazole liquid (supposed for nail fungus) directly on lesions. It seems to help (pretty slow, though). Hope it helps someone!
Thank you. Day 3 with the VCO, my cheeks have cleared of any spots. The 2 major spots on my chin are no longer sore they have scabbed over and I can't see any plugs at this time. For the first time in 10 years I feel somewhat positive.
Soundes great, thank you, I will definetely try VCO!
I'm so tired too of this "mutant sores" and locking myself away and trying to find a cure.(((

Please update (if possible) on you results with VCO.
UGH, found this thread after getting 2 of these things in a matter of days.

I don't believe it's dermodex in my case.

I'm glad I came across some remedies and I went out today and got Burt's Bees acne rollerball thing which is Tea Tree Oil, and I got fungal cream 1% clotrimazole. Tomorrow I'll be picking up the Silver Ointment from Walgreens, and I have VCO in my cabinet which I guess I'll throw on top of everything else. >:(

I'm basically going to treat it for everything. Fungus, staph, mites.

These make me so angry. I haven't had one in a while and two days before a date I felt two huge cysts forming, and I know what that means. Super clogged sebum plug, or hair follicle, or a mite, or whatever the hell it is. Of course I did not go on that date.

I was formerly treating these by plucking out the clog with tweezers and then putting triple antibiotic cream to avoid the scarring. One of my cheeks is completely ruined because of these things. :( I have mild pock scarring.

Just like OP, they do not squeeze out, they are flexible and stretchy, longest one I ever pulled was 1/4 of an inch long, I FELT that one pull out. Like others, it does not heal unless that infected hair follicle or plug comes out. It may "scab" over, but the skin around the infected plug just dies and it turns into an indented crater. It's literally awful and one of my friends saw one on my face once and gasped in horror and told me it looked like a cigarette burn. :(

I hate them, I've called out of work due to the sores, I hate that I look like I have a sexually transmitted disease, a drug problem, or cigarette burns on my face.

I don't understand how most of the dermatological community has NO IDEA what these things are!
Oh dear lord thanks to all of you for posting on this site!  I know everyone thinks we are crazy but I believe you!!!!  This all started around the time I turned 40 and here I am almost 6 years later with crater scars on my face. Mostly on my chin.  Keflex is the only antibiotic that works for me when these sores become infected, but even that loses effectiveness I'd I take it too long.  Otherwise the ONLY  thing that has worked for me to control these suckers is permethrin  (lice and bed bug spray from the pharmacy). I know it is a pesticide and not natural and bad for me etc., but desperate times!  I mix it with msm lotion. Wow. What a difference!  Sometimes during the day I put tea tree oil on the spots also or some adult acne treatment (sulfur).   I don't feel the prickly painful feeling under my skin anymore.  I have one sore left on my face and I think (fingers crossed) it is on its way to healing up.  As we all know we have felt that before, but I do feel differently this time.  It FEELS different in that I don't FEEL anything!  I don't remember the last time I wasn't feeling a strange sensation on my face.  Is this the way I used to be?  Not obsessed with trying to get out whatever was in my skin?  Been too long to remember. Again, many thanks to everyone for putting a private matter out there.  Obviously you are not alone!!!!
Sorry it took so long to get back. Having tried everything everyone has mentioned in this thread and none of it works it may slightly calm it but I'm sick of calming it I want it gone! The VCO is a miracle but it's not happening over night and it sure ain't pretty. By the end of day 3 and day 4 I had plugs coming out in the masses. I got bumpy scabs that started to flake off, when they did the whole underside was covered in plugs. This continued until yesterday now the sores are flat and crusty but look and feel much better. You have to stick to using it even when it's bad and it gets bad. I put the VCO on every few hours and put a neosporin bandaid when I sleep so no dust or hair set my progress back. I am happy with the results so far I can't say it's a cure I don't know yet. I don't mind updating at all if by chance I can help someone with this devil of a condition it would be the best deed I've ever done.
Also let me say :) there will be new bumps but they are not active they don't open to new sores don't try to pop them put alcohol on it right away let it dry then put the VCO on soon it will just flake off. I know they aren't active because my face isn't itchy like things running a marathon under my skin. I haven't had that feeling since I started this regimen.
Thank you for an update!

And you are right, it's important not to touch new bumps - than they have a chance to go away without turning in that awful sores with spikes. Putting bensoyl peroxid on them helps me a bit.
Hi all, same as all of you I've been having these white plugs for about 3 yrs now just in my face. Now I'm trying Duac as what a previous poster recommended. I think benzoyl + clinda is more effective than using benzoyl alone. It seems to heal the sores quicker. Trying not to touch them anymore but it's hard to conceal the scabs so i keep on removing them! Also i'm cleaning the sores with colloidal silver solution which seems to really help. I tried flamazine before and wasn't effective. I think we need something liquid or any medication that would penetrate down to the roots. Until now i'm puzzled as to what these thing are. Are they bacterial / fungal / viral? I hope we find an answer soon. Good luck to everyone!
I've tried antifungals, antiviras, antibiotics, OTC ance stuff, etc... ((
It's awful that so many people suffer from the same condition and doctors have no idea of what it is...

I start to think that could be autoimmune skin condition, may be mild form of acne fulminans.

Does anyone have bone/joint pain which occurs in acne fulminans (and that is form of acne resistant to all topical treatments, only oral steroids like prednisolone help).
OK, so now I'm freaking out. I posted a few days back that I was going to be doing the Silver Ointment, the VCO, etc.

I started a new cleansing method. The Oil Cleansing Method. I am using a mix of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Castor Oil, and a few drops of Tea Tree Oil. I massage the oil mix in my face for about 3-5 minutes. I then take a steaming hot wash cloth and lightly massage it off, and steam my face. I then do the process again. Oil and steam.

After steaming, I've been taking Virgin Coconut Oil and slathering it all over my face, and then dabbing the Silver Ointment on the sores.

The sores are definitely smaller and the plugs inside them are gone. I was able so lightly squeeze and a few pushed out.

Along with my all natural face care, I am also drinking a warm mug of water with 1 TBSP of Raw Organic Honey (from Trader Joes) every morning before any food goes into my body. This apparently is a natural detox and it will get rid of nasty accumulation in your intestines.

So, now to why I'm freaking out.

I woke up this morning to wash my face. (I'm not washing with harsh chemicals right now or my usual wash.) I just took a hot wash cloth, steamed my face again (no oil wash or anything). Just hot water on a wash cloth, gently wipe any overnight oil accumulation.

I looked at my chin and there was a red fiber on it. I had to pull it off. Then I look in a few other spots and there are black fibers. IN A FEW PLACES. I took those off. I saw a few hard plugs and gently squeezed those guys out and my finger nails got a whole lot of white fibers!!!

These fibers aren't thick, or long. It looks like cotton or something. Except, none of my towels, sheets, or clothes I've worn in the past day were black or red. Also, I've NEVER seen this on my face before. EVER.

Did someone post earlier about Demodex?? And the fibers? I don't know if these things were in my face, or ontop of my face, or what. But something I'm doing is bringing them all to the top. It's almost like they are fleeing my face or just dying and coming out.

D: now I'm scared!

I am 34 years old and have been dealing with these for about 1 year now. I´m sort of used to have real bad pimples on my back, shoulders and sometimes my face...these things are, as mentioned before, something that grows back, so I tend to stick to the inflamed hair folicel thingy...alas, I get them in spots where there is no hair at all...??

today I was able to rid my self of an "ancient" plug on my back/bottom, just right where you won´t easily get to without help of some one else...well, was fiddling on that one for months (not kidding, got one on the back of my skull that is healing up after 4,5 months of weekly carnage)...got some out but never all...lacked proper tools too, but recenetly I went on a shopping spree and got me some new gear...

works nicely so far...2 days ago, pulled one out with two strokes, first the dirt on top while taking a shower - bare handed...had a feeling there is something still stuck, moving a finger over the spot always revealed an area where the tissue was rock-hard, so I was picking there every now and then...today, I went havoc, bent my head, spine and bones to the max, took a most uncomfortable position in front of my mirror and got mad at the sucker(s)...finally got that thing out...
a small-headed top which extends to TWO of the rice grain type somethings...looked like a theet, had the thing dry out on some paper and it is almost still the size I pulled it out, 2mm long and 0.5 in diameter or so, (noticeable "burst" feeling, audible "plopp", lots of bleeding afterwards for 1-2 minutes, while 80% of the blood is released the moment these things are pulled, so they seem to be connected somehow to the body?) and hard as steel...

thanks to my new gear I was able to pull a lot of these things lately and I only just begin to understand why I have so many "wounds" that  won´t heal for months, mostly in spots where there are no hairs (at least visible)...
I am not sure if there is a third one still stuck, I totally messed the area up (as in wildly picking and pulling anything my tweezers got a hold on) and I cannot visually confirm that all got removed but the spot finally feels flat again, hurting somewhat but that urge to get "IT" out is finally gone - so glad, really...

I really wonder what these things are and why they plague me...

there has to be some specialist in the 21st century that has a cure or at least a threatment for this...

the fat plugs are not in my face - yet - still I have started to madly pick anything in my face that might represent a pimple or more likely one of the white strange things...and I have taken out some rather strange things from my facial skin...my nose sometimes produces deep reaching, fat things that even the best tweezers won´t pick (it always ruptures and a small part is left visible to pick even deeper and it goes real deep...like 0,5 cm or so, thus I end up literally digging the skin of my nose, pulling strange "pimple-matter", dig deeper, pull even more of this stuff out and ending up with a wasteland called face...It usually heals rather quick but it still *****, my whole back already has become one big scar I do not want this to happen to my face...I cannot control myself if I think there is something to pick/pull and I won´t stop if it is my face...HELP!

I also suffer from something I found out to be called dishydrotic syndrome (syndrome=we have no idea wtf that is), under stress or if I happen to sweat a lot, e.g. summer time, I seems (to my knowledge) my skin is too thick for the sweat to actually be pushed out of the skin and thus it is collected beneath, resulting in unbearably itching bubbles that leave holes in your skin with a diameter of 1-2 mm, these dry out, skin is regrown, but the dried-out "root" still reaches beneath and you will pick these again and again...eventually they´ll heal until the next episode, I mostly have these on my fingers now, had this on the bottom of my feet too...you can possibly imagine how it feels to walk 6-7km a day on the job with your feet literally being open flesh and your feet also tend to sweat a lot...total horror...it itches, you scratch (at best) or you take a scissor or anything else suitable and start cutting it all open, it then hurts like mad and then you start again...these episodes come in waves, no pattern I could see however...

speaking of sweat, my hands are quite often really wet, and said sweat is real agressive, over time, 1-2 years, it is able to considerably damage a computer mouse made of plastics (as in removing paint, prints on the plastic etc., visual dents in the plastic itself)
I also usually have to scrub of excess skin every 2-3 days off of my fingers or it get´s too thick and even the slightest mention of humidity gets them going like yeast, which can get painful...

I was thinking about taking some pictures of these fissures - before and after and start a forum, but I might just post it here. there gotta be something to get rid of this BS

for further contact: hunne at inorbit *******
what do you think of that ?
http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/?doi=10.2340/00015555-0349&html=1
have you ever had this kind of blood testing - Antibodies against nuclear antigens? one of the sufferers with our symptoms has just made the analyses and they showed Discoid Lupus Erythematosus Masquerading
Hey pthsmith.  I agree that these things are definitely parasites. In your post you said you used(1) Ivermectin, (2) Permethrin SFR, and (3) sulfur paste gave you some relief.   Like you I have been battling for 6 years and keep trying different approaches.  I am trying to figure out weather the products you noted were solutions, pastes, or injections? Can you write back and/or post a link for each so I know which kind you used, I want to try it out.  As you know, each combination of products you use only works for so long until you have to figure out a new different combination of products.  

How successful has it been in healing your current sores and preventing any new ones from showing up?

I watched this guy in the video link below and made the solution from his video, it helped heal one of my sores.  Although any skin care professional who saw me post this would probably freak and strongly advise against it. But, I gotta keep trying new things until the Medical world figures out a solution to our problems and keep my faith in God.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO5lt2O0Fo8

I have had all the symptoms everyone is sharing. This **** *****!! I saw many Doctors and specialists and have had numerous cultures and biopsies with no conclusuve results. I have tried and used everything...almost. I recently started using Organic Pine Wild Scotch Essential oil and I mix a few drops with grapeseed oil. It seems to be drying up up these crazy lesion spots quickly on my face. There are also many other beneficial Essential Oils to Try for skin problems just google.
That was me. I was not yet diagnosed with Discoid Lupus Erythematosus, I've just made this test (antibodies) and it's positive. I'm doing additional tests now (lupus needs complex diagnostic). This antibody test is more specific for systemic lupus and in discoid lupus (involving just skin) it can be negative.

I just think that in my case can be a connection and that might be discoid lupus or a symptom of systemic lupus. In every description of discoid lupus there's a symptom called in english "carpet tack".
since my last post I have cleared up I am not sure if it is the weather change or what I am doing with my skin. I started using 1% Retin A Gel every night  to clear up dark marks/scaring left behind from these bumps. As well as washing with cetaphil or dove soap. I am not using Retin A every night anymore only every few days just for up keep. On occasion I use the the grape fruit scrub by Neutrogena and I have been eating, oil pulling and sometimes moisturizing with organic coconut oil. I have not been using any other anti-fungal creams or medicated ointments  aside from Retin A all tho I have tried silver ointment and some other suggestions on here in the past. Unfortunately they did not stop or even soften the blow from these things. I have noticed a big change in my skin since the Retin A Gel. I believe leaving them alone has helped keep them from spreading to.

I got a couple on my nose at the start of the Retin A treatment but I did not touch them. I would know I was about to get them when that painful red bump would come and I just kept applying the Retin A every night and letting it dry out. Eventually it would dry out and it would seem to be a couple weeks later that same spot would have a thick puss that I could gradually squeeze out. But while it is inflamed with that white blub it is important not to touch it and let it dry up. After a while I was no longer getting these bumps on my nose but I did get them on my forehead between my eyebrows a couple of times and I did the same process when they appeared there.

For the last couple of months I haven't got any. I just wanted to share what I was doing since I seem to be not having outbreaks and hopefully it helps someone else.
I'm right there with you. It's debiliating
is the ketoconazole topical or oral?
Monistat cream!  I think these boogers are a result of some type of fungus - have used every anti-fungal known to man - tried miconazole cream (brand name Monistat) and saw improvement after one application.  Also I have really dry, cracked skin on the heels of my feet - read an article that this could be a sign of a fungal infection which makes no sense to me, but having a lot of half empty tubes of various anti-fungal creams I've tried over the years, decided to put some on my heels before bed, put on white cotton socks and lo and behold, my heels were smooth by morning!  I think some of us harbor yeast infections and it's a hit or miss until you find the right anti-fungal. Btw, I've never had a yeast infection, ahem, of the female variety so tried the Monistat on a whim. Amazon has a 4 oz. tube of miconazole cream for $10. Definitely worth a try.
what is usual dosage for the ivermectin?
I may have this as well. I have a series of pics. I'll try to find a way to post them
http://www.medhelp.org/photo_collections/list/53547?personal_page_id=4985427

Can you view my album with this link?? There are explanations on each photo and they go in order...

I saw a derm again today and walked out when he started talking stupid... so I still have no idea what to do.. help
To whoever posted about using coconut oil. I have had this spot on my arm for 11 years, have tried everything to clear it up, must have pulled hundreds of the white things out, just as I thought it was going it would come back again, 3 days after using coconut oil it is 100% better, finally drying up. Thank you so much
I want to start a Facebook page so we can easily share photos and info in real time. Anyone interested please send me an email ***@****.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6EIlNaqM60  Type in 'Morgellons' on Youtube
Look up 'Morgellons' on Youtube
Look up 'Morgellons' on Youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m-HgIj8M8c
I'm in the same boat. 16 years now. After research last November I started using dandruff shampoo with Sulfate. Washing my face morning and evening. I went 7 months with clear skin. Recently had 1 episode (currently almost healed) it seems once it starts it has to go thru the cycle. Instead of lasting for months the healing time is a few weeks. During the lesion I still wash 2x daily and put Monostat  (or any metronidazole) or Prosacea. Just my 2 cents.
Forgot this important information! Taking a daily probiotic and eating yogurt helps keep the bacteria/yeast in check! I posted my simple routine not to long ago.
NO ITS NOT! you are talking about scabies. You would know if you had them. You'll get an extremely itchy rash that will spread all over your body with in about 3 days of the start of the initial rash outbreak. The rash is particularly bad around the groin. I don't know why on earth your bringing this up on something that is clearly acne related. I've had them I know please stop posting this irrelevant info

I've had these plugs for years and been following this forum closely. What you are experiencing is a staph infection. Not a mite, parasite or govt / doctor's conspiracy. It occurs because we have a lower immune system to other people.

At first i thought it was fungal - perhaps i was catching them from drying my face with a damp towel etc so I tried anti fungal sprays, creams etc. No luck. I then tried using many different things: Steam, lemon juice, white vinegar, sulphur, salt water, antibiotic creams, sun lamps. None of them worked.

Then I read about Apple Cider Vinegar and did some tests by putting droplets on some plugs I had extracted earlier. They dissolved almost instantly. So then I experimented by putting the droplets directly onto the plugs that I was experiencing on my face and here's how I came up with the solution that works for me:

If your skin is exposed: Applying ACV droplets directly onto the plug. It stings, but nowhere near as painful as the plugs are normally. After 30 seconds add another round of droplets. This wont dissolve them completely however it removes the outer layer of the plug. You'll know it's shrinking as you'll see a small amount of blood form around it. Keep applying the vinegar drops, until the plugs appear to rise to the surface. Once they turn pure white they'll be ready for extraction.

If the plug isn't exposed, try pricking the spot with a pin to let the vinegar get to it easier and soak the buggers. Or patiently just apply the droplets to the spot a few times a day for a few days. It will also dissolve it just not as fast.

If you don't believe me, try doing the same test as I did and drop some ACV onto a plug you have already removed. If you watch closely, it starts dissolving in about 30 seconds.  

ACV also acts as a good facial cleanser. Just pour some onto a cloth or cotton ball and wipe your skin. I'm a big believer that our skin needs to have a good ph balance, this seems to prove it.

The plugs will still come back, but not as frequently or as many. And the ACV makes them easier to remove therefore faster to heal. And as we all know on this forum, your skin won't heal unless that plug is removed.

There are other people on this forum have mentioned AVC previously. It really works.
no, it doesn't work. moreover, if i put ACV on skin without plugs, they will appear there in 2 days, and not only one but many of them
okie, so I just found this site and I too am a 10yr sufferer, but I don't get them only on my face..legs back arms stomach neck hair buttocks...the only part of me that is clear is my feet and lower privates.  I get the nonpustular white core heavily attached and bleeds a lot for a couple seconds if I manage to get it all out...this when I know it is going to heal.  I also get the hard waxy plugs sometimes squeeze out fairly easy..sometimes not, sometimes works its way to the surface when slathered with coconut oil.  I rarely get pustular acne.  I did used to get tons of tiny blackheads this seems to have improved, yes blackheads, not those tiny fills everyone gets and expresses constantly.  I have been in the medical field for 16 years and am pretty disappointed in modern medicine when comes to treating things only symptomatically as apposed to rooting out the causative issue and attempting real cures..but that's another topic.

I too have been researching for years and resorted to self treating, then I stumbled on this site yesterday and saw someones post about demodex...I began my own research and this is correct, but let me explain...

By elderly age 100% of the population is a carrier, majority of adults are carriers, onset begins in childhood.  Now, the reason this is unbelieveable for some on here, I can understand, without much medical education it can be hard to get...I am going to get close as I can to simple and accurate...

it works much in the same way as bacteria, some bothers you, some bothers me, some seem to be getting along just fine.  We have flare ups due to changes in hormones, diet, immunity, etc...all the same rules as regular acne or bacterial/fungal infections.....and we all respond differently according to our own genes and chemistry.  i.e some will get our rubbery plugs, some get cystic acne, some get rosacea, etc...

Then we have to add in whatever we individually carry ourselves, for instance if you have demodex flare up going on and you have bit higher fungal, bacteria, or both on your outer skin, then the mites will carry this down into your pores for you...and again you will respond to this as your body chooses...so some will be having a primary demodex response, some will have a bacterial and demodex response, some will have demodex bacteria and fungal....mix and match however you like...you can even throw in different responses for those with low immunity or excess immune response...
I have a mix of demodex, fungal, and bacterial....this explains why each time myself or my doctor has tried something we do get some sort of minor improvement in general only to lose it......things are making a whole lot more sense now.....and when we do manage to accidentally kill mites, they release another form of bacteria into the pore, this what causes the pustular and cystic pimple...we got it by picking finally or out immune system finally killed it itself.....
I also believe the person who claimed we were picking the actual gland out is correct too...so glad I found this place....putting all together now....we cannot simply see these mites, some of them are tiny enough to actually live inside the sebaceous gland itself....depends on the species...and you will not see tunneling like in scabies with this kind, not all inflamed glands or pores have to produce pus...the small whitish granular tissue we are picking is the gland.....I feel so much better, I was thinking cancer or warts since it wouldn't heal until it was fully removed, yes, both of those would be worse and much harder to manage...warts don't go that deep though they only look like it because they push the underlying tissue around them out of the way, more like pressing downwards, not growing downwards.....so I have been horrified of skin cancer...
Sadly the fact that we have this issue means we could possibly have to treat off and on indefinitely because the mites live on all off us...for some reason we tend to feed them a little better than those who aren't being bothered by them...
In my case, I will have to treat for the mites, bacterial, and fungal.....and keep treating  for mites until my skin has been clear for a few weeks, then treat for mites everytime I have any acne type outbreak...the name of this game is going to be staying blalnced

If you want to research for yourself search nearly any oily skin condition and add the word demodex, rosacea, sebaceous hyperplasia, proprioni acne...whatever you can think of...and cylindrical dandruff demodex...

and no, topicals alone will not kill it, this is also correct, we will need something oral in conjunction, at least until it is under control.....then maybe we can use topicals if we jump on it in advance in any outbreaks....we will just have to live and learn as we go....and don't pick, this is going to be the hardest part for me as I have become tweezer obsessive and torn myself up in desperation just like many of you....but when we pick we are moving them, like chiggers...except we are moving eggs and that is worse...
I think the coconut oil helps some maybe because it smothers them and has antibacterial and antifungal properties....and like dissolves like, have you heard of the oil clensing method?
I quit using my retinol cream bc it only makes the skin thicker over them in my opinion......if you are desperate to just heal up, zinc dandruff shampoo and a little oral zinc will help....caution when I first used the zinc shampoo it burns open areas immediately and the longer it sits it eventually causes the closed ones to flare up too....this does not subside quickly like salt or alcohol in a wound so be ready if you try it...it did quit doing this after several treatments.  I probably did it 2-3 times a week, was all I could stand and I left it on as long as I could up to 5-10min, by the second or third week the stinging is practically gone.
I did try ketoconazole shampoo 2x day for 2-3 weeks, some places got better and some of the deeper worst ones only became itchy all the time so I quit.
Thank you guys sooo much, really, I have needed you desperately, I have never been so excited at seeing the debates back and forth.....you know, usually when people have narrowed something down and just cant seem to simplify it to a definitive answer...its because both sides are correct somehow.

FYI, do not use acids to try and cure this, you will have to burn down into your flesh...common sense if your glands still exist after acids then so do they...it can only help keep your pores open and clean, less hospitable to the buggers, but not a cure..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3884930/

demodex research, there are more links on this same page to the upper right side...and some to the bottom of it...

while we are not supposed to feel crawly because they are so tiny...I would logically think an increase in infestation would increase mass, therefore increasing ability to occasionally feel it...more than 5 per pore/follicle is considered infestation...surely we can occasionally feel mass numbers moving about in one follicle...

men are more often colonized than women...men also have higher rates of propionic acne in their teens....coincidence?...becomesmore prevalent in women as they age...slow delines in estrogen equal higher androgens...equal oiler skin...depending upon the individuals own hormonal balances of course....

I did notice a slow but the best improvement in my skin when on combination birth control...both ortho evra patch and tricycle seemed to work...in my case the evra patch seemed best......guess they cannot survive an oily food shortage....many microbial organism reproduce faster or slower dependent upon food supply...not an unreasonable consideration....medicated body powders containing similar ingredients to the old fashioned gold bond helps reduce outbreaks as well...use in between your other topical treatments, not with because you don't want it to soak up and interfere with your creams/oils....I hate the smell of the stuff but occasional temporary use during outbreaks won't kill me.....I may try a pretty scented powder in between flare ups to help increase food shortage for the buggers.....

Caution do not use any immune suppressing agent...topical or otherwise...I made this mistake...you haven't seen bad until you do that one!!!...no hydrocortisone or anything immune suppressive...try some calamine or Benadryl creams, etc. if you have an itch problem..

silver creams are usually thick, I think this one is working through a smothering effect and barrier against any further infection, reducing organisms during healing increases heal time and reduces scarring...this is the magic trick behind Neosporin, some oils and ointments...also keeping the area moist during healing and preventing a dry scab allows extra ability for tissues to regrow and reduces pitted scarring...

in regard to coconut oil causing some plugs to come to the surface, I notice this more so when I apply a heavy layer and let it sit for a long time...like an evening at home...it does help when applied as a lotion and rubbed in instead but the beneficial effects are much slower..2-3 weeks?...I am going to try heavy layers for long periods followed by a good warm/hot shower...see if this helps bring some to the surface and wash them away..reducing numbers..

Also if you are someone with extra redness an oral antihistamine like zyrtec or anything you prefer could help with this, you should notice at least some reduction in redness/ swelling in about a week if it is going to help you...
I just had another idea....that thick white diaper rash cream, nothing can get through that stuff, would definitely be an excellent smothering agent...only question is how long can mites live without air?..so how long would we need to leave it on?
wow, since finding you guys I just keep having floods of ideas....and memories of things that seemed to provide the most improvement over the years....

idea: dishwashing liquid as bath soap, haven't tried it, but I did always wash my great dane and boweimer with this and they never had fleas..have no idea how it works...just know from experience it does...and my neighbor was a renter who had 3 dogs and a flea infestation, the land lord had to rip out carpet and everything when they moved, we had very small ajoining back yards and my dogs never had fleas...so worth a shot...if you research this some say only original dawn works, but I just used whatever was cheap and I liked the smell of...meaning no dawn..they had no skin issues, dry etc, hair falling out, nothing, until I hit a financial bind and switched to cheap dog food...then I had a major shedding problem..did this at least every 2 weeks sometimes once a week...but I am also a supplementer and they got omega 3s, splash of veg oil, childrens chewables, and vitamin e applied to their dog food a couple times a week so maybe that kept them from having skin problems from the dish liquid

past most effective regimines in hindsight now gives a much better understanding to me ....
1. oral diflucan, oral tetracycline...but lost the effects and they weren't major improvements just good enough to claim an improvement...
2. amoxicillin with tetracycline and birth control pill...one of best results
3. baking soda bath, about 1 cup in a good warm/hot bath avg tub size halfway full, rarely scubbed with it, couldn't skin was always sore from picking...this was also one of the best, but at that point I decided it must be only fungal and stopped because you cant kill fungus dry, it only goes dormant, I wanted it gone...so must reduce oily food for mites...??...and maybe the salt concentration might kill  some of them?..but sweat contains salt, I don't know how much compared to baking soda baths?...also the super warm bath helps circulation, meaning improved ability for your immune system to reach some of them at least...warm enough to turn you a little pink but not red..usually washed normally and soaked about 10-15 min..

also don't over dry your skin, this can make things worse or cause another problem, be careful, rotate moisturizing with drying products or something, find what will work for you

some mites do have resistance to permethrin creams, just depends on previous exposure, like say someone shared a couple of their mites with you...I am sure we humans run around mite swapping all the time...
one reason these would be worse on our skin than in our hair...hot blow dryer...my hair is almost to my waist by the way...

for those concerned about stripping natural oils...in our case this is a good idea...our oils contain more nutrients and growth, possibly repoductive promoting hormones...strip away!! and apply coconut oil or something, olive oil is also supposed to be a close second to coconut oil if you can't use coconut oil for some reason...yes I read this in scientific studies but it has been a while...try searching 'studies on antimicrobial effects of coconut and olive oil'...see if that will get it to pull up for you...

something I tried in the past when I decided it was only fungal, I had read a study stating that black tea and backing soda killed fungus...so I tried it...the first time was positively disgusting as the water drained, slimy mess in the bottom of the tub...I have never been able to reproduce this...while I do get some results, nothing is like the very first time I did it.....same as baking soda instructions with enough tea bags to create a nice dark brew just like making a med-dark tea drink,,,you will need to lightly bleach the stain from your tub afterwards...I did soak a bit longer maybe 20-30 mins.
DO NOT use acv (apple cider vinegar) on your face I just made the mistake of trying that and it was VERY much diluted with water and it gave me the worst rash on my face & neck I have ever had in my life!!! Tiny little red bumps with a lot of white heads, tiny like little pimples basically and when I say all over I mean ALL OVER the only spot on my face I dont have them is my forehead and nose. My face feels like a nestle crunch bar and it looks so BAD! I used the acv the night prior and the next day the rash started on my chin by the second day it had spread to my cheeks jaw neck then down to my chest. PLEASE PLEASE be very careful using it on your face and I do not have sensitive skin but it really just did not agree with me at all and it's common to happen with others because it is very acidic and a totally different ph balance than you face. Im still suffering from the rash (day 3) and it hasn't even begun to start clearing at all. Be careful with that stuff if you decide to try it I would spot test with it diluted a lot before putting it all over. I never thought this was even possible because I have never had a reaction to anything like this before but I also had been using retin A so that may have caused me to be overly sensitive to something that acidic. Just be careful because I so regret putting that stuff on my face.
do you still have pictures please help me I have the symptoms these white string or worms are coming out all over my face even out my nose they have treated me for staph and mersa it gets a little better but they wont go away when I tell them about the worms they act like Im crazy I starting to feel like Im going crazy finally I video with my phone some of them coming out of my face and the dertmotologist doesnt want to look at the video just pasafies me but when they injected my chin with pain reliver to get a sample off one of the sores some of the white things came out and they were surprised the dr said didnt know what it was but took a sample and now I have to wait until the 15th to find out I dont know if I can stand it that long I cant sleep I have night mares about this and what few friends I had have vanished because of this weird things on my face Ive been sitting in the dark alone crying since 130 am and then i found you please help!
OMG Im so glad I found you I have this I have been to dr after dr and treated for mersa staph nothing works but this is what I have exactly the last dr I saw yesterday gave me a script of ivermectin only because I told her I had messed with some bad soil right before this happend I mean nobody wanted to believe me about these white things coming out of my face she finally believed me when she stuck and injection of pain reliever in one of the sores and they came out but she did not know what they were. I have had this issue for two months will the pills alone work or do I need to go get the other things that you did and do the house and my body
I forgot to ask you i have a special needs son and he sleeps with me all the time and four dogs what about all of them? Im so beside myself with this stuff and no one believing me felt like giving up but then I found you thank you god.
I think you are describing what ailment has plagued my family for years,the white plug that you are describing is actually a hair follicle,Affected by a mite called DEMODEX, 15 years ago I had unblemished skin..and now my skin resembles the surface of a orange
.                                                      spent a small fortune on bleached,pesticide,MORGELAN crap with little or no effect,ill cut the crap you must research this Demodex follicularlightiss the little white core is your hair follicle that is full of these little Arachnids (smaller than a bug bigger than a germ) if you think I'm Australian turn (full-of-****) next time you think a liesion is appearing wait until you can see the little white core,go to Kmart and for 14 dollars by a Childs microscope....see for your self...but sugrbaybee that's what you have...oh now you can go back and see all those people (and give them some)
Morgellons rubish that is a fictional ailment,...I do agree with the turn delusional parasitousus that's a dermatologist saying to you that why should I help you when I can be at the country club enjoying a cold beer,and you should get flipping angry...thats your right....enlighten yourself Morgellons has been looked at and its fictional YOU CANT HAVE A CURE WITHOUT A DISEASE ..research follicular lesions caused by the Dermodex mite...buy a microscope....look for yourself..how do I know because I found out myself
Because I was lead up the MOGOLLON'S garden path and its ********
Hair follicles on your face have been INVADED by tiny spiders,,but you've known this all along haven't you:

You have what's called Demodex folliculatosis but don't freak out everyone has them (and they do) but yours have gone from being a few to Shanghai size amount...%100 curable...buy a microscope and look for yourself
What are you saying:I DONT THINK I HAVE MORGELONS you have DEMODEX  buy a children's microscope and look at the white core and you will see.....you have it alright...demodex mite
At last! I'm 45 and have been "dealing" and failing with this debilitating situation/disease/condition I've no idea what to call it! for soooo long now. Thing is there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. I've just had almost a year of relative calm, a few would appear, but using a local acne cream - Quinoderm, i'd manage to defeat them. But the last month or so i've had a vicious attack and (like many of you) have been house bound. Fortunately I'm self-employed and work from home, but the frustration of believing it may have dissapeared from my like is palpable...

I'm almost happy that I've got "proof" from many of you other posters that it can drive one to the edge of insanity! That does sound a little dramatic, but it's quite obvious I'm not alone...The frustration of failed doctor's visits, of misdiagnosis, of people quite simply not understanding or indeed believing that this "condition" exists...

Obviously I've just stumbled across this place, and haven't quite taken in the posts of the VITAL question - How do I fix it?

I've seen a variety of cures/fixes whatever...But still not a defining "This is what you have, this is how you fix it"

I guess my next step is back to the doctors with this overwhelming evidence...

A big thank you for this, I'm feeling half-positive that I may finally be able to get to the "route" (very appropriate) of this ******* nightmare!
at least for me I can rule those out...not what plagues me, but I still have no idea what these things are...maybe whiteheads but they put up such a fight every time I have a hard time really believing that

at the moment my skin is ok, only took one out the other day by accident while scratching my back because it itched terribly
Is there anyone among us who have seen very tiny glitters in their palms and on their fingertips?

The glitters are visible only when under direct sunlight or under some strong artificial lights.

I'm not sure whether it's related with this, but I'm also considering excess heavy metals -like aluminium from toothpaste, metals from fish etc...

You probably have seborrheic keratosis.  If you don't scratch it off, eventually it will turn into a kind of bumpy brown growth.  But when these things are just starting to form, they aren't brown at all.  The white bumps are keratin.  The reason these things seem to 'come back' after you scratch them off is that there are more of the 'white bumps'  (also called 'horn pearls' - gross, I know)  growing below the surface!  That's why it seems like they don't go away.  But really, you scratch off the top one, and then the ones that are below the surface rise to the top.  Eventually though, if you go through that scratch-and-heal process, you do get to the end of those white horn pearls and the darn thing will heal - although now you have a 'crater' in your skin(!)  A doctor can burn these things off with nitrogen, but I've had that done and quite frankly the scar is worse than if I scratch them off myself.  So there you have it.  So far there is no cure for seborrheic keratosis, but there is a doctor at MGH in Boston who is researching a cure for it.
OK, so I have been treating for mites, demodex.  My result was completely unexpected.  
Before treating, no tunneling, no itchies, bities, nothing to indicate mites, only my strange skin plugs and research finally convincing me this was it, no harm in jumping in and giving it a shot.
I figured if it did any good then I would visit my doc and report so he could give me whatever he feels is best.
My self treatment choice was over the counter lice medicine, generic rid mouse or something.  This is much weaker than is used for skin mites so I wasn't expecting a cure all, and these mites are supposedly sorta normal to have, name of the game is supposed to be reduction to normal levels, right?
So I applied my weaker version, leaving it on overnight as you would a typical scabie treatment.....OMG...
Itching, biting, and black dots everywhere....paranoia!!!  Im now freaking and thinking SCABIES!!!
But, after this I used my lice remedy on the completely unsymptomatic forearms of every other household member....just to see...black dots!!! but I am the only one with a skin issue and the only one with now itchy and biting sensations, and the heaviest black dot load...
after several days of researching, I did find some references to black dots after demodex treatment...whew!!
itching and biting was miserable for about 2 days and slowly subsiding, I have also used ivermectin.

I have collected many samples on tape strips and will be taking them to the doc soon.  I will post the results when I know anything.

I have also this afternoon used tea tree oil as a 50% sol is supposed to kill mites, I was afraid bc so many have sensitivity to it, so I applied to small areas and waited until that area recovered before applying to a new area...for me it burned slightly...cross between a tingly burn sensation, not fun but wasn't excruciating either....think old fashioned strong sea breeze with extra menthol in it...it also takes a couple minutes to seep into the pores and get the full effect, after about 3 min I guess I adjusted to it, I still have it on now and don't feel a thing. EVERYONE is DIFFERENT, take it slow until you know...
The tea tree result is actually somewhat pleasing, for about the first 1-2 hours my lesion areas sorta swoll up a bit and got red, another 1-2 hours they are less red than before application and flatter than before. Woot!!!

I used 50% coconut, 50% TTO.  I have also vacuumed heavily, used flea carpet sprinkles and pet bedding sprays on my furniture. For regular bathing I am using the thickest regular dish liquid I can find, think I got an 18 oz bottle and put 2-3 tsp of TTO in that too.  I sometimes use a benzoyl peroxide bar, I hate the stuff because you bleach everything you touch after using it, except this bar, its great, not bleaching everything!! I leave it on a few minutes after I lather, since Im not bleaching my clothes it must rinse well and may not work if it doesn't set a few minutes.

Someone asked about shiny gritty, glittery, grainy things...yes this is also normal with high demodex loads. I get those too, these come out very easy with coconut oil only, used enough the skin still feels a bit oily after applying it, let it set for a while...30 min or 1 hr...then massage/rub your skin all over...you will feel tons of this come out of your skin, like a bit of sand got into your oil...
Fair warning, I did also have a few short black fiber things like the morgellons folks claim, yes I am sure it came from the skin...I am currently opting to go with possibly older dead mites/eggs tha have slowly been getting dissolved inside my skin and that's just what it looks like now.....I'll save the morgellons panic attack for after I have given this demodex thing a good go...
I do miss not itching...but it is getting less and less...
medical_NOS, thank you for sharing!

Please update if possible on your treatment progress and test results!

I also start to think this might be demodex and try to cure it (with sulfur paste and soap, permethrin).
Hi everyone, I've been away from this forum for a while, but have made some new observations.

Firstly, apologies to M7166. I've noticed all the same things you mentioned now. Maybe it's possible to have more than one skin condition at once, which confuses diagnosis.

I've been using tea-tree and sulfur but there's still no improvement. Worse in fact; I am surgically removing up to about 7 fleshy plugs every day. I've noticed that in the worst areas, they are clustered together.

Still haven't ruled out mites, but these things are huge! One measured 4mm long. Can Demodex grow that large?

I received a microscope for my birthday in April, but have only just started playing with it. I only have 1 image so far, and I mangled this plug when I extracted it, but it's a start:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/580973

I recommend everyone buy a microscope - they're great tools and don't cost the Earth. Mine is a veho discover CMS-004 Deluxe. Tricky to use, but the results are good.
AnTMaNUK,

I I think this condition might be demodex related, but this "plugs" are not the mite itself, it might be product of mites life - they scrape skin and this plug is collected.

I read about demodex infestation in eyelashes here:
http://www.healio.com/optometry/cornea-external-disease/news/print/primary-care-optometry-news/%7B586c29a0-2bf5-4548-9670-14e88fae9b98%7D/demodex-infestation-requires-immediate-aggressive-treatment-by-doctor-patient

The article says "Keratinization mixed with lipids produces the classical clear cylindrical dandruff that is associated with Demodex blepharitis."

That "clear cylindrical dandruff " in demodex  blepharitis looks like the skin plugs described in this topic. Photo links:

http://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/CMSImagesContent/2012/9/RP-0912-F3-Fig4-large.JPG

http://www.reviewofoptometry.com/ROExams/1113/fig7.jpg
http://m3.wyanokecdn.com/817621fc964bf273df81e15947914f4c.jpg

I have had a this condition and its hell. I contracted it last summer. It died down in the winter after I showered and rubbed a vinegar and bleach combo all over my skin.

Last night and this am is a Great Breakthrough. The crawling on my face when I sleep has vanished. The feeling of the initial bite is painful as hell.

Here ya go.  I have very long hair. It is in my hair and lives on the long strands. When my hair is wet one hair strand touching my face will send me off the charts. They transfer and attack. I have used 80% of what ya'll have listed. 4 doctor visits. One dermatologist. Biopsies. Blood and urine test. This is in my head, stress showing itself, and  I'm on crack have been the three constants I have been faced with. Bite me! It's none of that.

I wash my hair w medicated Selsun Blue. Keep your head so the eggs don't flow into your eyes, mouth, chin, and drop onto the other parts of your body like fore arms, feet, legs....  Making sense? Any wet area is a host it feels to me. Flood this shampoo all over you. Eyebrows, knees, elbows. You will be a blue sudsy happy being. Rinse, reapply, rinse, reapply. Look at the run off and you will see in the of the medicated shampoo what is coming off you body. Dots, the thin short wormy stick things, the slimy things that fling from on part of my body to another when wet will attack. Pull those monsters off and rinse and reapply. Get your feet!! Now wrap your head in a towel for final rinse. Keep head wrapped. Dry off w towels or paper towels completely. I use 5 towels for different areas. This spreads like Cra Cra Crazy. Now use Johnsons baby powder w aloe and vit E. Cover yourself in layers. I went into my backyard for this. You will see eggs coated in powder flying off you. This is awesome because before the powder they just stayed stuck to us. Take a few and feel the active sores. This stuff has just met its match. Now after reading the posts I need to get to yet another nimrod doctor and get the meds. I called the female nurse practitioner (the biopsies that were a bust.) Told her demodex folliculitos. She was going to research and call me back. That was 5 days ago. ONE NIGHT IS HELL WHEN THERE IS NO END. DOCTORS, pay attention! This is in my eyelashes, brows, lips, mouth, nose, ears but it took its first big beating. I need help to know what to do about my two dogs. Small Yorkie female and a female terrier mix @ 7lb each. I also have strong ideas about where I was dosed w an overload of this. If we all have it can it live in dog parks, AC Vents, casino carpet, my car??? How do I disinfect the world I live in at home for good? I am having an environmental inspection done of everything indoors tomorrow. I need to know where this may be living. Any ideas?  Definitely do the shower protocol. Oh finally unwrap hair after your wearing pants and long sleeve shirt. Use the blow dryer hot. I want to put the powder in my hair to see that mess.... I figured I wud give myself a torture break till later. This is hell. I'm a germ freak. I have thrown out so much. I got new furniture which got infected. I have accidentally heavily bleached 4 colored loads of laundry. Any further help is a gift from you persevering souls. Thank you and I hope I helped someone.
I have found on another site that these appear to be some form of a fungus and that they can be remedied with an antifungal cream. I have noticed that I get them as well. In spurts. I was just thinking I was doing good not having any for awhile and then suddenly they were back.I used to take a daily antibiotic and I think this is what kept them at bay. Recently I stopped the antibiotic due to the cause of yeast infections.
I probably have about 6 different places on my face right now. This other commenter on another site stated that she tried an antifungal cream, like a jock itch, and immediately they started to heal and these hard little plugs started to soften and go down and either come to the surface or go away completely! I am going to try it tonight!!! Hope it helps you too!
FYI I have these things and I'll say I believe they may have been demuxed at one point. THEY ARE NOT!  I bought a microscope and as I pulled many of these things out, I looked at them one by one. They seemed to be clear formations that formed the same size of whatever space they fill.  They were clear, and some had a vein like fiber the more mature they were,  as if it was feeding the top of the scab. The smaller ones were more rounded.  Whatever this is, I believe it to be a faulty part of my immune system. My body has been attacking itself for years, and skin is a part of that.  I also have psoriasis, amongst other things, I have tested positive for lupus and multiple connective disorders. I have arthritis and I'm only 38.  I have a multi nodular goiter (thyroid)I believe that my body is attacking itself, and quite possibly something is stopping the healing process within my body, maybe it is the chronic and ongoing Vitamin D deficiency. Maybe it is a result of the psoriasis and the skin growing over itself too fast, and maybe it does have some sort of fungal infection after the initial cyst. What I do know is that there is no head or tail, or mouth, it is just a mere tube, that once pulled out, the inflammation subsides because it no longer recognizes it as a foreign body.  My body thinks my thyroid is a foreign body, my blood is O neg which is another foreign thing, I have alopecia, where my body is rejecting my hair, what is the common denominator? My body is rejecting itself, and what should normally heal - isn't and my body is rejecting the very things that normal peoples fully heal - collagen.
First of all - you guys are going to be thrilled at my post!  I am so happy that I can maybe contribute in a very positive way.   This is what it took :
3 Days, Bandaids, a tube of Athletes Foot Cream (Terbinafine Hydrochloride) Walgreens $8.99.
I came across all these posts and i was so relieved that i was not the only one in the world with this going on. OMG I have been battling it for over 2 months and it just would not clear up .
it started as just one small simple zit - I must have wiped my face and pulled the head off, there was still a white head there - so in all my wisdom I decided - one quick little squeeze, get rid of it , you do have an interview tomorrow.  OH MAN - NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL.
Woke up the next morning and the damn thing was 3 times the size before I gave it that damnable quick squeeze.  All red and inflamed, a huge bump. Again I could see the white head.  Left it alone.  But then it was about to pop – so gave it a squeeze – man o man – ladies as much as you want to – DON’T DO IT! It WILL spread.  

Mine started out as a small normal “zit”  and spread out into a quarter sized angry red nasty area with all these with heads you could clearly see.  I too went through what others have described.  Hours with the trusty tweezers.  Pulling out the dreaded “rice grains” (which I had actually called miniature maggots – since the one end had a little black head). It was the watery oozing that was spreading it .

It got so bad I both cancelled both a date and an interview through sheer embarrassment.
So I read all the comments, and started with the fungal cream.  
Monday Night – fungal cream band aid. Replaced with a fresh one before I went to bed. Didn’t look or touch.
Tuesday – one fresh application and band aid in the morning. Replaced at night
Wednesday – one fresh application gently remove black scab that will form and reapply band aid in the morning. Replaced at night
Thursday – ITS GONE – no angry red – no white heads – no oozing - no bump. Its cleared up.

I will say this though – after every application – there was this black scab across the surface

I cannot tell you the relief. I hope this helps someone.

This thread has been a huge help... Gosh just knowing I'm not the only one with this issue. 10 yr plus sufferer with this condition. I'm going to convince myself it is not mites for two reasons: 1) if I do the treatment suggested and get the results some have experienced, I'll be so grossed out by myself I might have to shoot myself 2) if it is mites, why are they just only living IN our pores?? Any creature that has a demodex diagnosis simply gets a skin scraping that is put under a microscope. It doesn't make sense.
I do think the fungal hypothesis has some merit and it probably varies from person to person how our skin reacts.
What I do know is that while not picking doesn't make it go away, but we do scar ourselves in the process. We all are exacerbating the problem by doing so. I've recently come to terms that I am a compulsive picker. I say this after recently picking and prying at an offending "plug"... And my thoughts are... "****. That was unsuccessful.... This is gonna take a long time to heal."

So I guess my question is... Have any of you had any success in just not picking? How did you go about doing that after developing a long standing habit.
I have tried not picking them and they turn into cysts. Not the sebaceous cysts (the big ones that have sacs full of puss that have to be removed) but raised, discolored, hard bumps on the skin. If you pull out the plugs they leave craters and poc marks.  Either way you're damned!!

I get them on my face, neck, scalp, shoulders, upper & lower arms.  I've also had a few on my legs.  I started getting them when I was in my mid-twenties; the first dermatologist I went to told me I was picking at myself for attention and needed to see a psychologist. About 10 yrs and 100 scars later I gathered up the courage to see another dermatologist about them; this time she told me to come back when the scabs came off because she wouldn't be able to see through them.  Really?  Let me jump up and run to you when it comes off so I can sit in the waiting room while the scab reforms....  she could've just soaked it off.  She didn't even really look at them.  This was after she removed a large sebaceous cyst from my ear so you'd think she would've at least tried to take me seriously.  I'm happy and sad all at the same time to have discovered this thread.  I can't believe nobody is listening to us.  

The only thing I can think this could be is something related to cystic acne.  I know it's not bugs or mites or fungus simply because these things turn into hard lumps when not removed and then never get any better or worse.  Do any of you ladies & gents have acne and/or cystic acne?
Viewing 201-295 comments: