Fleshy Plugs Under Skin In Pores on Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-234 comments:
So, I have been following this thread since it began.  I have had this same issue on my nose, chin and forehead since I had my son in 2007.  I've tried the obvious: benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, the odd: jock itch cream, sulfur ointment, tea tree oil...pretty much anything otci could get my hands on.  I've assumed my problem was hormonally induced cystic acne, that I just couldn't leave alone.  I don't know what it is, but my new favorite thing in the world is charcoal!  I think it's a trend in the beauty industry now, as I've seen a few different products pop up on the market.  I bought Garnier Blackhead Eliminating Scrub with Charcoal a couple of weeks ago, and it has worked wonders on my face.  I wash with it every morning, all over my face, exfoliating well.  Then I dry with a clean towel, and apply a light, oil free moisturizer. (I use Aveda Hydrating Lotion)  then I put a 10% Benzoyl peroxide cream on only the spots I'm having trouble with.  I had nearly 12 of these sores when I started this regimen, and am down to 2 small ones on my chin, which has always been the worst place.  I think the charcoal helps to pull out the imperfections, and the B.P. helps kill what has been brought to the surface.  I hope this helps some of you, as it seems too good to be true!  Oh, and you can't pick at it!!! :-)
this link: http://oi40.tinypic.com/a4262p.jpg

Took me here, but I don't see that picture on this page. Did any of you post this picture, because this is exactly what I have. They vary in size, and sometimes multiple spikes on a scab. It is not a hair follicle. The up close picture of the scab with the white spike...yeah I have lots of those. I've been repeatedly diagnosed with acne. Interesting enough I did have trouble with tinea infections all during my childhood. I'm just trying to find the right diagnosis so I can get to the root of the problem. Those spikes hurt and itch until I get them out. The will not go away though. Aloe vera gel keeps them from getting infected, but definitely does't cure them.
Hi, I am wondering if you could send me the photo that you posted of your "spots".. I couldn't see it from the post.. My email is no.***@**** THANK YOU! Denise
This is different from what the original poster has... I know, because I have whatever it is she has, and it doesn't start looking like this... In fact? Although there are some similarities, with white substances coming from these pores? The shape, and texture are all wrong... At least in my case...my situation starts quite differently... I will get an itch... And not even noticing I did it, will one time scratch it very lightly and that action alone, barely touching it, removes the top of the tiny bump which most often times, is never really seen...moments later, I can touch my skin, and I will be shocked to feel it is wet... So I look in a mirror, and there is a clear liquid coming from the dot.. Within days? I have several of these spots, only now, they have grown in size, and are starting to more closely resemble the original posters photos... The spots begin to become inflamed, and they obviously have pressure behind them, and can be painful, making you want to pop it to relieve pressure....however, once you do, almost immediately, the skin surrounding the dot, swells up looking like a volcano is brewing underneath! If you wait a few days, or even sometimes immediately, you can use a fingernail, and push from the outside to the dot, and white "stuff" will come out of the hole.. Of course the hole grows no matter what you do, and the swelling remains... And just when you think it is done, and healing? You can feel the itching again, and it fills back up again with that yucky white stuff. These usually happen on the face and arms for me. My neck, ears, and back are getting something else entirely it seems, but at the same time... I suppose I should never have bought a mirror that has ten times magnification, but I couldn't see what was going on with my skin, and when I looked at my neck? I was shocked! My neck pores looked tremendously large... And it looked like I had white bumps, like white heads forming under them.. I could push this white stuff out? But I'm doing so, it can join several, and before you know it, there will be an inch long area with a horrible lesion, and several of these pores , and often times, while sleeping at night? The scab will actually stuck to my pillow, and I will wake up with a wet neck, because the yellow liquid was draining while I slept! I've never in my life seen my neck look like this! I had a hysterectomy when I was 24, and will be 45 in one week from today. I've recently started growing very baby fine facial hair around my hairline, ears, and mostly my neck area... And cheeks.. The eyebrows seem to be affected by this greatly too... The only thing I am noticing coming out of mine? Are a yellowish clear liquid, and the white stuff which immediately dissipates the minute it comes off of the skin. You can't see it, once you try to get it on anything... .. It's almost like it melts, unlike a white head... Which would come out solid. Antibiotics seem to help, but about a month after it clears up? You can see it returning, and eventually it starts itching again.. It scars terribly if you scratch,and I'm a scratcher...  
Its now been almost exactly a year since I found this thread and I'm worse than I have ever been.  In the past year I have tried Accutane, anti fungal pills and ever natural cream I can think of.  Still no progress.  This disease has cost me another relationship, I become more distant from my friends and family with every passing year and I can barely look at myself in the mirror.  I am currently supposed to be on "vacation" in Arizona and all I can think about is picking at my face and all the lesions I have everywhere.  I've now gone through 5 dermatologists and even my regular Dr. has just given up.  I have no idea what else to try at this point.  Suicide has actually been a real thought as this just isn't a life.  
Hi everyone. I live in russia and there are lots of people with the same unknown disease. I've tried everything that's mentioned here and nothing has helped. I mean that for example tea tree oil helps a little when you start using it... about one week maybe i see the improvements...but then it stops helping and i use smth else. the same happens with everything. the only thing i've noticed - it becomes much worse  1-when wear wool (even if my sweater has only 5% of it, still, 1-2 days - and the 'result' is on my skin), and 2  - if i have a cat near me. I use now fenistil gel, it helps a little, but the best results i see when i go away from my house for vacation or....i lived with my boyfriend for several months and for that period i forgot about itching sores. i think that the only thing we all could do in this case is to find the treatment from this immune response, this strange kind of allergy
This is caused by a mite called Demodex.  I suggest that everybody on this forum google and find out more about demodicosis.  You have to go to your dermatologist and get prescriptions for ivermectin (oral) and permethrin cream.  You cover your entire body with the permethrin cream so that the mites have nowhere to go.  That treatment works pretty quickly.

In addition, there are several anti-Demodex treatments on Amazon.com.  But the most effective by far is the prescription ivermectin/permethrin.  Tea tree oil, borax, sulfur and so forth are suggested as treatments but, at least in my experience, they were not effective.
I keep getting them on my nose its seems to have spread on to different parts of my face I currently have 1 on my nose and here are close ups I took with a macro lens on my iphone. you can clearly see the skin around it is peeled off...every time  get one the skin around it is like a wound It literally feels like my body is trying to eject it because it gets a little yellow/clear liquid like a pimple Ill squeeze and a little liquid comes but the "white plug"  will stick out a little more but never fully come out unless I dig it out. and that really results in bad scaring

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ljkokl.jpg
after I removed that small piece from my nose that I previously posted it seems it has "regrown" http://i57.tinypic.com/10wmovl.jpg it's like no matter what it wont go away. Its definitely not a pimple all though the irritation from this "growth" makes it appear to look like one surfacely.
http://www.mdjunction.com/diary/living-with-morgellons-disease/entry-3-there-is-hope
I do not think I have demodex or morgellons - my condition looks nothing like any of the photos of the two ailments. I do think this is yeast related and a few weeks back, stopped drinking beer.... I love beer! But I have to say, my face has cleared up considerably and the spots that are there are FINALLY receding! There are a few that have been vexing me well over a year!

If you like beer. Stop for a few weeks to see what happens. It's working so far with me... too bad I can't drink beer anymore. :-(
I know exactly how you feel.  I not only had lesions, but health side effects too. If you look up Lyme- that was everything else wrong with my immune system besides the lesions/sores.  Like you I have been to so many dermatologist, rounds and rounds of antibiotics that killed my gut and ultimate made me worse, and still with no answers.  Any dermatologist to this day will tell me that my lesions are cystic acne- but I know I don’t.  I was screaming to find anyone who would work with me to understand what was happening to me.  Before I found this threat, I tried a Holistic approach to all my issues its called (TBM) Total Body Modification. In September I told her that I think I had Lyme- which is similar to Morgellon's symptoms without the lesions, then I worked up enough guts to tell her I think I had Morgellon's and she believes its a thing and works with people so that's an option to talk to a professional who may not think you are crazy, well my TBM lady didn't think I was crazy at all.   Her and I have been working together about once a month for about 8 months now, slowly helping me feel better and I was even at at point when my lesions didn't show up for like 2 months- then I cheated and consumed everything below on my don't list and the lesions came back. But I still go to her and she helps treat my everyday symptoms of fatigue, foggy head and all that stuff.  Below are some of the things I  do and just order to try

-Domeboro Powder Packets (read directions on how to use-  I do it every day  pm/ and am if necessary - it stops the leaking of the lesions for me) http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/first-aid/itch-rash-treatment/domeboro-powder-packets-skuid-313866
-A variation of Vitamins(I Definitely take Turmeric)
-Exercise everyday(lesions are embarrassing but at least go outside and run/Hot Yoga anything that makes you sweat)
-Switch between Hydrogen Peroxide/Alcohol occasionally on the lesions
-Kleen Green(I just order the following link is a another blog with info) http://************/forums/am.asp?i=1931725
-Drink 2Tablespoons of Apple Cider vinegar am/pm (to help kill the little bugs/Morgellons’s internally )
-Colloidal silver – (About a shot glass full to kill internally/ run on my lesions)

Don’ts
(The Morgellon’s feed on all the things you love and shouldn’t eat/drink..that’s why symptoms get worse- for me at least)
Alcohol
Gluten
Complex Carbs and Grains(I don’t eat bread, bagels, pizza….)
Bad sugars and Sweets (Candy, cake,  no ice cream…)

Medical Spa treatments I have received
Revlite laser Therapy- (Helped heal the open lesions surprisingly well)
Chemical Peel (Helped get rid of the uneven built up layered skin around open lesions)
IPL photo facial (Is only good for skin that isn't open to help reduce discoloration)

I hope some of this information is helpful.  Let me know if you want the full go around of all my vitamins I take. I have an am/pm thing for my vitamins. They are absolutely necessary for me to take daily

Ive been using collide silver, vitamin d, garlic tablets, cephalexin, flagyl,  put a D battery on my tounge and hold on differnt parts of my body and drying all my clothes with bounce fabric sheets) static blocks the signals. It seems to be workiing. I can hear abd feel the bugs popping, and my body deflating. I was so infested my body was swelling. I thought it was weight gain.
accutane don t work
ve been using collide silver, vitamin d, garlic tablets, cephalexin, flagyl,  put a D battery on my tounge and hold on differnt parts of my body and drying all my clothes with bounce fabric sheets) static blocks the signals. It seems to be workiing. I can hear abd feel the bugs popping, and my body deflating. I was so infested my body was swelling. I thought it was weight gain.
I don't drink at all...I even cut back on soda but since halloween have been eating  a lot of sugar  and carbs are my fav :( the thing on my nose is healing more since I last posted it is almost gone now. I have been washing with sulfur soap using sulfur ointment and treating with tea tree oil. Normally when I get them it last for weeks so Im feeling like this is helping and it is not leaving a deep scar like the others have part of it is not digging it out and letting it gradually come to the surface and remove pieces of it.

I have no clue what this is if this is demodex or whatever others have stated not to many pictures have been posted and most are not as close up as mine or as detailed unfortunately but we all seem to have similar symptoms. I desperately need an answer to preventing this all together. I am so tired of avoiding going in public because of the huge mountains I get on my nose

Miconazole Nitrate cream and Prescription Metronidazole is working for my Lesions
I also use organic honey on my open lesions. It cost me like $15 from Whole Foods, but it is one of the few things that works consistently for my open lesions.  For some reason I tried local honey and regular honey, and nothing worked as well as Organic Honey.  

So after all of this - how do we stop these lesion things from recurring? Is there a method for prevention?
well i have been suffering from the same thing for 10 years - i have tried it all, coal tar, bactroban, bacitracin, minocycline, tetracycline, penicillen, keflex, amoxicillin, augmenton, levaquin, diflucan, antifungal creams - all of them, steriods, etc, etc, etc, and the list goes on - to treat these leisions that show up for no reason and disappear usually years later and those little bumps feel like someone has just injected acid into your skin - god almighty i could never believe that something like that could hurt so much - and i am a nurse - ok long story short i bought rosacea which is sulfur - so tonight my skin is a mess and i read your blog - and i am like ok i have some upstairs - well up the stairs i went started applying it and letting is dry and like some miracle from heaven those damn white plugs dried up and came to the surface the pain went away i was able to get that crust off without creating more of a wound and the redness and oozing are gone....OMG - OH MY MOTHER OF GOD - THANK YOU - i am optimistic that finally you have cured me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These plugs are parasites. DO NOT LET ANYONE CONVINCE YOUR OTHERWISE …and believe me, they’ll try (ill-informed dermatologists included). The parasites are called Demodex mites. That plug is the adult stage of the mite. Usually, humans are only inhabited by Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis. I suspect you’re describing the Demodex injai, the "large-body" Demodex. You'll want to get rid of these things ASAP and with extreme prejudice. I wound up with an all-out infestation because it took me 7 years, 5 useless dermatologists, and 2 ill-equipped primary care physicians to figure it out. One dermatologist accused me of making the sores myself and suggested I take an anti-depressant. But, don't get me started on that... I even had an elevated IGg because my system was so irritated by them. Anyway, back to the mites …The adults move around on your skin (usually at night because they don’t like light) and give you an itchy, crawly sensation. After they mate, the pregnant female emerges to lays eggs. When the pregnant female comes out, it looks kind of like a regular pimple. But, no puss comes out it-only fluid- and it gets red and irritated if you mess with it. The eggs she lays around the area where she emerged, that look kind of like "spindles." They’re down inside your skin but have little white hairs sticking out of your pores. Those hairs get a little thicker and will sometimes fall out as the egg evolves into an adult mite. Don’t bother pulling them out. The hairs will simply detach and the mite will stay in your pore. The adult mites are NOTHING NICE. They have, what I call venom (for lack of a better word), that causes a sever immune response. If you mess with them, they create this clear fluid that makes a hole in your skin. If you persist, they will make you bleed profusely. I think that stuff is an anti-coagulant too! After you lose the battle (and you will), your skin feels like it's on FIRE. Depending upon how much you messed with them, you'll either have a sore spot that won't heal or a plasticky quasi-scab looking thing …on top of a sore that won’t heal. If you lift up the plasticky scab, you can see the adult mites attached to the underside of it. I say that to say this: DON’T BOTHER MESSING WITH THEM. You will not get them out without putting a deep hole in your skin. They just dig down deeper if you try to pull them out with tweezers. The immune response will make a real mess of your face. You cannot kill the adult Demodex with creams because they move down into your pores beyond the reach of topical miticides. You cannot kill adult Demodex with ingested miticides because they have a hard outer shell that protects them from absorbing the chemicals. If you pinch one of those white plugs really hard with some tweezers you can hear it crunch. (I even tried applying a tiny bit of RAID …didn’t work.) I got rid of the MF’ers with 3 things: (1) Ivermectin, (2) Permethrin SFR, and (3) sulfur paste (all of which I found at the local feed store for animals). First: Use Ivermectin to kill the mid-stage mites. I used the equine version. It’s a paste with 1.87% Ivermectin. (DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IVERMECTIN DOSES ARE DETERMINED BY WEIGHT. I SIMPLY USED THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF PASTE FOR MY WEIGHT. I HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, BUT BE CAREFUL). Within 6-8 hours of your first dose of Ivermectin, you'll see the mites pushing out of your pores IN DROVES. Because it only kills the mid-stage mites (not eggs or adults), you’ll need to take Ivermectin once a week, for 4-6 weeks. When you take the Ivermectin, change your bed sheets every night, for at least three nights. Also, buy a few extra pillow cases so you can have a newly washed pillow case every night for at least four weeks. I STRONGLY suggest this measure because the mites wreaked havoc on my scalp. My hair has not grown for more than 3 years. You may want to use Selson Blue shampoo for 4 to 6 weeks, just in case. Second: Use Permethrin SFR, which is 38.6 % Permethrin, to kill the eggs. Dilute it in a spray bottle and spray EVERYTHING in your house, including mattresses, couches, carpets, etc. …EVERYTHING. Then, vacuum really good, and spray EVERYTHING again. Buy new pillows too. Wash ALL CLOTHING and LINENS in hot water. Put them in the dryer on “high heat.” I even lightly sprayed the Permethrin solution on the dried laundry, and the replaced bed sheets. Permethren is not really toxic to humans, and it’s odorless once it dries (PLEASE READ THE PACKAGING THOROUGLY). WHILE I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS: I poured ¾ cup of the Permethrin SFR in my bath water. After soaking for a short time, there were so many eggs (with the white hairs) that my bath water had a film on it. I only did this because I had a full-on infestation. Third: Apply the sulfur paste all over your body. It’s a little tricky to apply, so I suggest wearing gloves. Also, it’s really thick and has a strong smell. I used Pierce’s All Purpose Nu-Stock. I had to mix the paste with baby oil to get it to spread. You’re supposed to wear it, kind of like calamine lotion, for 3 days straight. Then re-apply, on top of the first application, and wear for another 3 days. The objective is to keep the adult mites from mating and laying new eggs. I realize this is a lot. But, BELIEVE ME, you do not want to be infested with these things. This has been a 7-year nightmare for me …finally coming to an end. Good luck!
Just like everyone else, I am glad to come across this forum for the same reasons. I wanted to say I'm leaning toward the mites for sure. I started recently learning about essential oils. So of course my first project is my face!!! I found an oil that I believe will prove successful when used daily. I can across a recipe, simple.... 2tsp raw honey AND 2 drops clove oil (considered a hot oil so do NOT use more...it will burn....literally!). I put this on my face for 15 minutes then washed it off. I had already started using jojoba daily with a couple Essential oils in it. But the next morning after the honey and clove I got REALLY excited cause all bit one spot (a big boy) was 95% healed up. 2nd night did honey...skin was even better. 3rd night I used a mix I made with a few oils including clove. I will use this everyday at least once. I still have the big one but its healing. I truly believe with daily application my clove acne formula will keep my face clear. My pores shrunk and no blackheads. I'm getting excited. I will continue to update. Literally Last night was day 3..... Blessings....
I have been using sulfur ointment/soap 100% teatree oil and retin A for my acne scaring I havent had any bad ones on my nose lately but I have noticed for a minute they were going to other parts of my face not just my nose like before. It seems to gradually be calming down my skin has done a complete turn around. But ive tried so many suggestions here and this has been the only thing to semi help. I dont use the sulfur or teatree oil daily but the retin A yes (not sure if this also aided in my improvement but def with the scars and dark marks)
I can't express how relieved I am to have found this forum - I've searched for an explanation behind these stretchy-white-plug-things on and off for years but this is the first time I've found a cause and potential cure!  I actually cried with relief whilst reading this forum last week!

After reading posts above, particularly the recent post by pthesmith (thank you!) I am 99.9% certain that for the past 5 years I have been fighting a losing battle against the demodex mite :(  When it first began it was so weird to have broken out in spots in my late twenties as I was one of the smug luck people who had pretty good skin in their teens.   Since then I've  torn my face apart with tweezers trying to remove these white plugs as my face wouldn't heal until they were all gone.  I've tried all sorts of remedies and considered all sorts of possible causes including a build up of keratin, a delayed side-effect of taking anti-depressants or a fungus.  Interestingly I have also had occasional blepharitis which I hadn't connected to my skin issue but have since learned is also a sysptom of the demodex mite!

Since discovering this thread last week I have purchased an antimicrobial wash called HiBiScrub (easily obtained and affordable from Amazon) which I have washed with every day for three days now from the tips of my hair to my toes and I am already noticing the results!  My skin seems smoother and pores are less noticeable and my whole face seems less puffy which is weird as I hadn't realised it was puffy - I thought that was just how I looked lol!  I've also noticed that the few spots or 'lesions' on my face which would normally take weeks to heal have almost healed already!!  The wash dries my skin a bit so I have also purchased a silver colloidal cream for my face to give it a double antimicrobial whammy and a moisture hit.

I've taken heed of pthesmith's advice and have systematically begun washing EVERYTHING that can be washed to try and prevent re-infestation of this damned parasite.  I'm also throwing out my makeup and buying fresh products and avoiding anything with a reusable applicator.  Instead I've bought some makeup sponge applicators that I can rinse daily with a bit of HiBiScrub.  

I first noticed symptoms after I had been working in a call centre for a while and as I was constantly changing desks and computer keyboards etc  I guess I may have picked it up from someone who had used the desk before me :(  Easy to pick up, hell to be rid of!  Weirdly my partner hasn't got any symptoms but he does have a very strong immune system whilst mine is weak as I've been suffering from stress for some time which has been worsened by my skin issues but hopefully I'll have this under control in the near future! :D

Good luck to everyone with these awful symptoms, I hope that my experiences and solutions will be of help to others and thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to this forum: you've put me at ease knowing that I was not alone and have provided some excellent information and advice!  I can't thank you enough!
Hi All, I haven't posted in a long while, as I've been observing my own condition... Using a 30-60X lighted magnifier to examine what is coming off of and OUT of the skin on my face.  I've been doing this for a year now, and I want to share my experiences and observations with you.  I now have an idea of what it might be... a fungus.

Look up images of the fungal genus Chaetomium, then add the word perithecia to it.  This is what is coming off and out of my face. I've also found it in the dust in my home... It's coming out of the air ducts.  I used a piece of clear tape to pull up a sample, folded the tape over then examined it under magnification.  I've even got a sample growing in tap water.  I started it by using a brand new container with a lid, and taking a sample with a sterile swab.  I do mention a possible treatment near the bottom of the post, so if you want to skip my story, you can go to the bottom.

My lesions start as pimple-looking, but the pustule is off center. .  I've noticed a dark/pigmented circular border that is a bit out from the "pimple", but is consistently there.  Popping the pustule, I get a very small amount of pus, but then beneath the pus there are LOTS of cigar-shaped organisms that come out.  I rubbed back and forth across the open lesion (sometimes a bit roughly) and then looked at what was on my finger under magnification.  It was YUCK.

The lesions then ulcerated with a recessed center and a raised and very thick border.  I could see white dots in the ulcer that appeared to be more of the cigar-shaped things.  The ulcer would appear to scab over, but it's a fake scab that is made of more cigar-shaped things. The lesions don't really heal, but just get covered up.  I have scraped the tops off these lesions many times and had to get rough with them.  These bastards are determined to live. Someone mentioned a gel containing silver helps, and I really am indebted to that person.  Place silver gel on a small round band aid and cover the growing pustule. Start this as early as possible...  When it does pop, most of the bugs will be dead.  

I've discovered many, MANY layers of these fungi on my face... In fact, I believe I haven't seen my real skin in years.  After removal of a bunch of the whitish cigar-shaped things, I reached a layer that released hard, yellow-brownish, lemon-shaped things.  There are thousands of them.  THEN, beneath that layer, it's like friggin' plexiglass.  My skin is pulled so tight that it hurts, especially around my eyes and mouth.  It's even difficult to open my mouth to eat.  When I finally managed to break through this layer, the 3 different layers just repeated... and repeated... and repeated.  Over the last year, I swear I've removed a hundred or more layers.  If you have a full time job, getting through the layers will be difficult, as the removal process alone is a full time job.

I finally was able to see an infectious disease doctor, I didn't tell him what I thought it was; I simply told him the facts and impress upon him that it bilateral and symmetric.  I noticed that in the beginning of the exam, he didn't wear gloves, but about half-way through, he put them on.  He ordered a series of blood tests, all designed to test my immune system and any immunodeficiency that I might have. Most chronic fungal infections are in immunocompromised individuals. As a first step, he sent in a scrip for an antibiotic, but he also prescribed ketoconazole, which is a topical anti-fungal.  I go back to see him in less than 2 weeks, and I plan to take my tape samples along with my culture in water.  

Doing my own research on treatments for fungal infections, I ran across the drug terbinafine. The cream is sold  OTC as Lamisil.  It was somewhat effective, but not nearly enough.  There's an oral form of terbinafine that can be purchase online from outside the US (amazon).  The 250mg dose, 1 per day, is making a huge difference. BUT PLEASE LOOK INTO IT FOR YOURSELF.  Of course I didn't tell the doc I was taking it, but I can't wait for him to come to the correct conclusion while I continue to suffer.

Infections with Chaetomium  are still not considered by the medical community, but I think that they are much more widespread.  Using my magnifier, I have found the white hyphae and some black tangles all over my body, but the only lesions are on my face, back, chest and scalp.  If you think this describes you, please look into it.  I think the only way it will start to be recognized is by getting doctors to order fungal cultures. If you can, avoid the dermatologists and try to get into an infectious disease doc.  When I called, I was told they only took doctor's referrals.  I wouldn't take no for an answer, telling her that I believe I have a severe infection on my face that the dermatologists continue to call rosacea even though it started on my back.  She made me an appointment for 1 week later.

Sorry for the poor grammar in part of the post above.  I was editing, and boy did I miss out on correcting a couple of sentences.

I also wanted to mention that this infection is in my eyes and sinuses as well.  
Take a look at my post from 1/30/2015.  I've been suffering from this since 2007, and I agree, it is the most horrible thing I've ever experienced.  I don't want to even be seen in public.  See if the OTC cream Lamisil (terbinafine) helps even a little bit.  If it does, go to your GP and suggest trying a prescription anti-fungal called ketoconazole.  I went to an infectious disease doctor (dermatologists only treat conditions... they don't consider infections, unless they are bacterial in nature) and he prescribed doxycycline pills, an antibiotic,  but I could tell he was also thinking fungal, thus the ketoconazole.  I saw improvement in my face  within hours of using the ketoconazole.  Not sure about the doxy yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bacterial infection tagging along in the ulcers.

Look up photos of the genus Chaetomium.  The curled black threads and the long tapered hyphae look pretty much like what is coming off my face.

I'm not ruling out that there was a demodex infestation on the top surface of this mess, but after a while the sulfur stopped working.  Use a face scrub several times a day, too.  It helped my break through the many, many layers that I found beneath the surface.
Thanks for the update.  When the Accutane did nothing, I requested my GP prescribe an anti fungal  and he did.  It didn't really do much, I can't remember what it exactly was.  I have also tried anti fungal shampoos.  I will try the Lamisil to attempt to get some sort of relief as things have gotten much worse.  

If you noticed things coming from your vents have you made any investigation into removing the source from your home?  I've often thought this may be due to something external. I have been to an allergist before and the only thing that came up was that I was highly allergic to dust mites.  
These running posts are still amazing.  I have been following since last year. I just wanted to shout out to anyone that there is a Morgellons Conference hosted by the Charles E. Holman Morgellons Disease Foundation. Its in Austin, Texas March 28 & 29 this year. I have done a lot of my own research but it would be nice to hear some of the professional they have speaking about it.  Link below for more info

http://www.thecehf.org/morgellons-2015-conference/
I've read nearly every post, and yet there is still no diagnosis or cure for the original poster's condition? I'm 41 and I've had this condition since I was 16.

I have to roll my eyes at everyone posting what they believe the problem is, as if they can solving and wrap-up a life-long debilitating problem that easily.

So to summarize:

The original poster talks of a white rubbery plug rooted deep in the middle of problematic acne-type sores. These lesions don't heal until this plug is pulled out (it never comes out naturally).

They aren't mites. The plugs are about 10 times larger than the largest skin mite that I've seen pictures of.

They aren't ringworm. The pictures I've seen of ringworm look nothing whatsoever like the sores caused by the large white plug roots.

They aren't Cysts. They don't contain liquid - they are solid and rubbery. They CAUSE cysts though, if not removed at the root.

They aren't sebaceous plugs. They are strongly ROOTED deep in the pours and stretch like rubber if you clasp one with tweezers or between fingernails. Crystallized sebum isn't rubbery and doesn't stretch, but there is usually solidified sebum plugging the surface of the pour which has one of these white rubbery plugs.

It's not morgellons. The plugs are bulbous, not like fibers.

It's not a staph infection. Although, the inflammation it causes can lead to staph.

It could be a fungus. It certainly looks like a miniature mushroom of sorts. It grows back again and again like a plant or bacterial mass. However, I don't personally suffer from any fungal problem anywhere else.

It could be a wart. It's certainly wart-like, and wart treatments are very effective. Going deep into the skin to root it out seems like the only effective way to heal the skin.

In the 25 years I've been trying to fix this social-life-disabling pain-in-the-backside, I have tried various solutions. Diets, topical solutions, vitamins, herbs, teas, voodoo, rain dances, you-name-it!

There is no medical name yet for this condition - don't even try to diagnose it using Google - you can't - I've been trying for the past 10 years.

Yes, I'm a picker. Picking is a symptom of this condition, not the cause. Remove the picking and you still have a problem - for better or worse.

I'm impressed at the lengths some of the posters have gone into researching this, especially JG4846. Hoever, JG4846, it sounds like you have a different condition.

Someone needs to remove one of these rubbery white plugs and examine them in a microscope. They are the size of a small grain of rice. If you're lucky enough to get the very root out, the root has a fish-like tail, as if to suggest it was sitting at the very base of a hair follicle and occupying both the hair root and sebaceous gland. Maybe if the plug is a parasite, it is feeding from sebum?

If left alone, they can rest under the skin for weeks, growing slowly until they eventually cause inflammation which leads to a cyst or a pustule. If you're lucky they will grow big enough until they start to push their way to the surface and look like a whitehead. They will continue to grow under the skin until the skin is broken. Usually there is no puss, or "plaque", or liquid of any kind. It's a dry rubbery long bulb which can is easy to pull at at this stage. It will grow back within days though, which is the biggest problem, as it will sit under the scab indefinitely until it's removed again. Eventually the grow-back slows down enough to let it heal until a couple of weeks later it grows back to the surface. They seem to be worse where there is hair, around the mouth, even on the back of my head and neck.

Stress does make it worse. What is the body producing when stressed that these plugs like so much?

The only thing I've found helpful so far is nettle soap. It calms the inflammation down. I leave the lather on my skin to dry. It's especially good after I've had a picking session.

Hopefully this information will add to the melting pot and someone can help find a solution.
What kind of soap/brand are you using?  I'd do anything for just a little relief, these things are just out of control!  
Don't buy branded chemical soups. I get them from eBay where there are a lot of sellers who make soaps naturally. Buy soap made using the cold-pressed method. Seller's by law need to have their product cleared by the industry regulators and have to identify the ingredients used. This soap is by far better than anything you'll find on the shelf in a supermarket. Avoid chemicals. It's also better to support independent crafts this way. I didn't bat an eyelid at the price because anything that helps this problem is priceless.

I've also purchased some 10% Sulphur, 3% Salicylic acid soap recently. This doesn't calm the inflammation, but it helps to bring the debris under the skin to the surface and hardens it. It helps reduce the need to dig deeper into the flesh to fish it out. So I will wash with this, leave the lather to dry and soak into the skin. Then later I will wash it off - pick gunk out if I have to, then wash with nettle soap and let the lather dry - this is the best thing that's helped me so far. It prevents my skin from cracking, and calms the redness, and, after a while, it leaves a good base for any concealer you have to use.

Neat tea tree seems to have a similar affect to this soap. Causes inflammation though. So, like the soap, it can cause a break-out - which is inevitable anyway.

I think one other thing that can help a lot is limiting the damage you do to the epidermis trying to remove the offending white debris from deep within the dermis. Damage around the area is unnecessary if you can get deep enough to pluck the stuff out, or you're lucky enough to be able to grasp it at the surface to pull it out at the root without it breaking. I use my fingernails rather than tweezers - it gives a much better grip. Fingernail hygiene is a must if you do this. Another thing I use is a narrow-bladed scalpel which is useful for getting down into a pour/duct and plucking at the root of it.

So to clarify: If you're strong-willed enough to resist picking, the problem doesn't go away. A problem area will swell and swell until the inflammation causes a painful cyst or pustule. You can clean this up and it will never heal until you clean it up and then remove the white rubbery root thing that caused it in the first place - it never goes away without manual intervention. After over 25 years of trying different things, self-surgery is still the only solution so far. Even then, it will grow back again in a week or month. So, try to reduce the damage you do (I understand how picking can become a frenzy - try to do it with surgical precision), and calm the skin down with anti-inflammatory.

I'm experimenting with diets. I'm eating more fruit, drinking more water, cutting down on sugar, gluten, meat. It's made NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever.

I think I'm a lot more fortunate than a lot of people suffering with this problem. I am lucky that my skin heals very quickly and doesn't scar. And I've become a master at using concealer. So, unless it's really really bad, I can still manage to hide the problem enough to feel okay about leaving the front door. It's not ideal, but at least I can sort-of lead a normal life. If I could give any one of you anything from this, I would give you the confidence to go out and face the world and look people in the eye when you talk to them...

I still live in hope that someone will diagnose this and cure it. Until then, there's a whole bunch of know-it-alls that believe we're simply deluded and picking at imaginary stuff under the skin.
Guys, the "plugs" are hair follicles that are inflamed because of the acne bacteria that is infecting the area. This was explained to me by more than one dermatologist that I showed a a high res photo to.  I was given a round of antibiotics and it immediately responded.  I wish I had seen a dermatologist and gotten on antibiotics so much sooner than I waited for.  Months of crying and frustration and feelings of despair could have been avoided, not to mention a couple of scars, though they are fading.  

Do not pick or scrub your skin.  You are not helping.  Bacteria can't be washed or scrubbed or picked away and this is not your normal type of "acne," though it is in fact a form of adult acne.
What kind of antibiotics were you given?  I've already tried Doxycycline and Minocycline and they have done nothing.  
You are me in a nutshell.  I have pretty much have been homebound for 5 going on 6 years now.  The thought of going out looking the way I do is most of the time insurmountable.  My mother booked a Christmas cruise for all our family a few years ago.  I couldn't deal with the thought of dressing up with the way my face looked.  I made an excuse and I did not go.  My mom died a year later.  I know this cruise was important to her and I am her only daughter (her buddy).  I lost my husband due to me not being able to come to terms with my acne/???  

To this day no one knows why I really missed the family cruise nor does my ex husband know why I became so withdrawn.  To him I was just not fun anymore.  Being so into himself he wasn't going to stand by me through the "bad" times.  As long as I was there to do his "activities" all was good. We were together for 15 years.

You are right.  "This just isn't a life."  The thought of suicide has crossed my mind also, however, we both know this is not the answer.  We are not in control of when our life will end.  God is.  I know my faith in Him is the only thing that is getting me through this.  I sure hope it is his will to heal me but if he doesn't I know he has a reason.  This said, it is still very hard to live each day feeling the way we feel.

I struggle everyday with the same issue you do.  You are not alone.  I am trying very hard through my faith in God to find inner peace with my acne/???  Since most doctors don't how to help us.  

I wish you peace and happiness and believe me I know this is easier said than done.

I have suffered and I mean suffered from this for years now. I have tried everything! Recently I was told it was yeast or bacteria and to try Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, it causes the nucleus to implode. I did. It's only been a few days but I do see improvement. About an hour after first application the white plugs started to surface and were easily removed without picking and no longer appeared to be attached to the blood vessel or whatever causes bleeding when plucked. I hope I have found the cure because I sure am tired of looking like a drug addict and locking myself away oh and the tears I've shed over these painful mutant sores. It has to be Virgin Coconut Oil, refined versions won't work effectively. Best of luck to all.
AleceStarr, thanks for an idea!

I tried everything and start to think it's some kind of resistant fungus.

Recently I began to take itraconazole orally (200 mg a day) + clotrimazole liquid (supposed for nail fungus) directly on lesions. It seems to help (pretty slow, though). Hope it helps someone!
Thank you. Day 3 with the VCO, my cheeks have cleared of any spots. The 2 major spots on my chin are no longer sore they have scabbed over and I can't see any plugs at this time. For the first time in 10 years I feel somewhat positive.
Soundes great, thank you, I will definetely try VCO!
I'm so tired too of this "mutant sores" and locking myself away and trying to find a cure.(((

Please update (if possible) on you results with VCO.
UGH, found this thread after getting 2 of these things in a matter of days.

I don't believe it's dermodex in my case.

I'm glad I came across some remedies and I went out today and got Burt's Bees acne rollerball thing which is Tea Tree Oil, and I got fungal cream 1% clotrimazole. Tomorrow I'll be picking up the Silver Ointment from Walgreens, and I have VCO in my cabinet which I guess I'll throw on top of everything else. >:(

I'm basically going to treat it for everything. Fungus, staph, mites.

These make me so angry. I haven't had one in a while and two days before a date I felt two huge cysts forming, and I know what that means. Super clogged sebum plug, or hair follicle, or a mite, or whatever the hell it is. Of course I did not go on that date.

I was formerly treating these by plucking out the clog with tweezers and then putting triple antibiotic cream to avoid the scarring. One of my cheeks is completely ruined because of these things. :( I have mild pock scarring.

Just like OP, they do not squeeze out, they are flexible and stretchy, longest one I ever pulled was 1/4 of an inch long, I FELT that one pull out. Like others, it does not heal unless that infected hair follicle or plug comes out. It may "scab" over, but the skin around the infected plug just dies and it turns into an indented crater. It's literally awful and one of my friends saw one on my face once and gasped in horror and told me it looked like a cigarette burn. :(

I hate them, I've called out of work due to the sores, I hate that I look like I have a sexually transmitted disease, a drug problem, or cigarette burns on my face.

I don't understand how most of the dermatological community has NO IDEA what these things are!
Viewing 201-234 comments: