DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Fleshy Plugs Under Skin In Pores on Face
by M7166, Jun 21, 2010
there is a spot on my nose that i've rubbed raw washing, trying to get these "things" out of my pores.  these are not whiteheads, nor blackheads.  these are clusters of white or fleshy hard and sticky plugs-- not filled with anything, but they stick straight out from the pores. They are not bumps.  If I rub the area w/ a towel they do not rub off at all.  I tried to remove one with tweezers, and it was very tacky (as in sticky)  and clearly goes deep under the skin.  Part of it broke off but I could still see that the pore was plugged and a day or two later top of the plug was sticking out again. i can't find ANYTHING online that looks like it.  
Member Comments (186)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Jun 30, 2010
Without examination, confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be a sebaceous cyst or a cutaneous horn. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts.

A cutaneous horn is a conical projection above the surface of the skin that resembles a miniature horn. Cutaneous horns usually are asymptomatic.But sometimes they can become inflamed and cause pain.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

by skyj95, Sep 23, 2010
Hello,  I sent you a friend request last night but I do not know if it went through.  I have the very same condition and I am not insured so I can't see a dermatologist. These breakouts are a nightmare and take forever to heal.  Mine never heal until all pieces of the plugs are removed and by then I have dug so deep into my face to get them out till I am embarrassed to go out in public.  I have searched the web till my fingers were numb trying to find an answer and solution and I was so relieved to see your post.  I do not know if stomach ulcers can cause this but I have noticed both flaring up simultaneously.  I would like to find out what type acne this is and how to prevent/treat it.  Could you please keep me updated on your progress.  Thanks and I hope you are doing better.  
by M7166, Sep 23, 2010
the doctors frankly are stumped and i'm also at the end of my rope. they did a biopsy shortly after i did this post, and nothing specific came back. i've had it treated w/ medication (pills and topical) and also laser and it'll seem to look a little better for a few days but then i'm almost to square 1. it just will not seem to heal. just today they decided to do a second biopsy, because they also find it odd and worrisome. they did diagnose me with rosacea b/c in general i am very pink with capillaries close to the skin. i blush very easily and  when i get hot my face turns ruddy. but they just do not know what this specific area on my nose is being caused by so here i sit w/ more bandages and more of my nose shaved off.

i am sorry about not having insurance and having to worry through this alone. I will post if I find anything.
by M7166, Sep 23, 2010
PS It is not a subcutaneous cyst or horn as the gentleman thought it might be from the picture. I realize how hard it is to try to diagnose from a tiny picture, and I do appreciate his efforts.
by iam_seeker, Feb 17, 2011
I have something similar. Hard whitish things sticking out of my pores on my nose, cheeks, chin and my jawline. ‎​​I hav beenn searching the web for answers but to no avail. they stick out like small hard white hairs. ‎​​I try to press them out without hurting my skin buh that's ‎​​so impossible because they are under all my pores ‎​​so my pores look swollen and raised. Pls let me know if you find out anything. Thank you. Hope you are better.
by slr123, Dec 27, 2011
Are you freak'in kidding me!!!! I have finally heard the story of my face from you! Exactly what you described is my dilema also. I cant stand these things! No one seems to know what they are!!  And yes, untill I get them all out the spot will not heal. I have a spot I'm working on now that I nhave had for at least 4 mths. And it will leave a slight scar. Have you gotten any farther in finding any solutions? It kills me that we can fly to the moon, do brain and heart surgerys, have cures for crazy things but not a stupid little white plug in our face!!! Please let me hear from you on your search. ps i am 45 and this just started about  2 yrs ago, what the heck!!! sherri
by slr123, Dec 27, 2011
by slr123, Dec 28, 2011
hey sky any news on the face plugs? sherri
by oracle4angels, Aug 07, 2012
Ive had this same condition for going on 10 years off and on, they can spead like a plage and hurt oh so godly bad, past few months mine have been dissappearing, the only difference is that Ibe started using a new soap by St Ives, its Hypoallerginic and 100% natural ingedients, Its called St Ives Exfollating with sea kelp and mineral salt, I suggest you give this a try, the soap will burn a bit on newly opened sores but Ive had them clear up within a matter of days after using this, its cheap and can be store bought and its worth giving a try! It works on me! :)