Foliculitis / staph in pubic area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Foliculitis / staph in pubic area

I have a problem that is really concerning me. I have boil-like lesions in my pubic area that usually start out as very itchy before turning into erupting volcanos of draining sores. I've had this problem on and off for several years now. I've seen GPs who have prescribed oral antibiotics and hibiclens. These have not helped. Upon my last visit to my gyn, she prescribed a topical ointment antibiotic and said it is a strain of staph causing foliculitis (folliculitis) (sic). My demographics: 40-something, somewhat overweight, white female, with only 1 sexual partner my entire life, my husband of 22 years. I'm a very clean person. How on earth did I get this staph, especially "down there"? Most of my clothes aren't too tight (except for 1 pair of jeans that I don't wear very often). When I first started getting these sores down there, I did some research, and I learned that staph can live in the nostrils. I treat my nostrils with antibiotic ointment and hibiclens as well. I fear that several years ago, I had a habit of blowing my nose while sitting on the toilet and then using that same issue to wipe with, and that may be how I got it to start with, and now it won't go away. I share this embarrassing part for any readers who may not know they're doing the same thing.  Please advise me as to how I can get rid of this problem for good. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Was there a culture done from the discharge?  For saph carriers, abscesses or boils may  have a tendency to recur. Staph. aureus is most commonly carried in the nostrils, armpits, between the legs and in the cleft between the buttocks. It may be transferred to other sites from the nostrils via the finger nails. Tiny nicks or grazes or something rubbing against the skin can innoculate the Staph. germ into the wall of a hair follicle.  Once inoculated, the bacteria cause a boil which goes on to run its usual course of about 10 days. Although most people with boils are otherwise healthy, boils are sometimes related to immune deficiency, anemia, diabetes or iron deficiency. If you are overweight, try to reduce your weight and take regular exercise.  It is important that you wash  your hands regularly. Talk to your doctor about this. Prescription antibiotics may be indicated.

Take care and regards.
Thank you, Dr. Santos, for taking the time to reply to my posting. I truly appreciate your time and consideration. I will be sure to ask my doctor to culture the discharge next time.

Kindest Regards!
Lisa
Hi.  I have the same problem and have been searching and searching for answers.  There is this condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa.  They call it the hidden disease because a lot of people are too embarrassed to say anything.  Here is the website for more information.  They also have a printable brochure and a support group.  Hope this helps.  Birdmom

Website:
www.hs-usa.org