Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis on shaft of my penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Folliculitis on shaft of my penis

i recently noticed a small group of red itchy bumps one the shaft of my penis. I have many tiny cysts on my penis and scrotum so i figured it was a inflamed cyst. I recently went and seen my doctor and he told me it looked like folliculitis. I was given a prescription for kayflex which i took for 7 days. during that period the redness subsided but the bumps stayed. Do i need a different prescription or healing method? after i workout or wear clothing for a long period of time my scrotum to penile shaft itch a little.

also my g/f had a yeast infection not to long ago, could i have contracted that after i shaved my penis? my doctor said i most likely got the folliculitis from shaving the shaft of my penis.

here is a picture
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p151/justingiese/1.jpg

also i have hard lumps on my scrotum. i understand these are most likely cysts, but my question is, what causes them to erupt? i used to have 3 fairly large cysts on my scrotum but two of them erupted after regular sessions in the gym. the area would get red and inflamed then a hard lump like a sesame seed came out. i only have one left, it doesnt bother me but i included a pic anyway.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p151/justingiese/2.jpg

i would like to start having sex with my g/f again, so far its been hands off for almost 3 weeks dealing with this folliculitis.    
They look like inflamed cysts, as much as I can tell from the rather fuzzy photos.  Gym workouts can make such cysts red and irritated, but that doesn't mean anything.  Cysts are part of normal penile and scrotal anatomy.  Nobody knows why they come, and it doesn't much matter.  I don't see any reason for you to avoid sex.  Check with the doctor who examined you, just to be sure.  The leave the cysts alone and ignore them.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm no expert but looks like either folliculitis from shaving your genitals. Could also be molluscum on the shaft (I don't think you can get molluscum on the scrotum). The scrotum lump looks like a cyst. I had one myself that swelled up over about 2 months and then a hard white lump came out - I think this is the cysts sac.
I recently had a similar issue.  I had small little bumps on the base of my shaft.  They itched a little.  My first doc told me it was just folliculitis.  A second option from a dermatologist told me they were genital warts.

I was shaving/trimming the hair around the base of my penis, and the doc said that I was just irritating the warts and that was causing them to multiply.

So perhaps stop shaving so close, and just keep the area super clean.

This is the type of thing and the area that you want a specialist to examine, at least that is my opinion.  
I haven't shaved the area since the redness occurred.

the center of the bumps have a hard yellow head and seem to be rather deep in the skin.  
A related discussion, Is it folliculitis or herpes was started.