Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Folliculitis?

I am a 25 yr old female and a few months ago I noticed some reddish, painful bumps under my armpits. Since they became progressively painful I visited a general physician and he diagosed them as follicultis and gave me an oral antibiotic for 10 days. The bumps disappeared but approx. a month ago they came back again. I thought I could cure them with antibiotic ointment but after 2 weeks they multiplied and also spread to one of my breasts (I occasionaly pluck hairs from my breasts). I went to see a doctor again (general physician) He diagnosed follicultis for my under arm area but was not so sure about the infection around my breast (he said the infection seemed to be deeper, in the breast tissue)He gave me Novo-Clloxin (500m) for 20 days as well. I started taking the medication 2 days ago and the existing red spots seem to be improving, but this morning I noticed a new one around my belly button (I pluck hairs there too). I guess my question would be: Do you think it is folliculitis? Does folliculitis spread even around the breast area? Why did the infection spread even though I have been taking antibiotics for 1 1/2 days? Is it normal for folliculitis to spread to these areas? Even while I am taking antibiotics?
What are the chances for recurrance once I have finished the antibiotics? I am now scared to shave...!What should I do insted of shaving? Thank you for your help.