Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Folliculitis?

I am a 25 yr old female and a few months ago I noticed some reddish, painful bumps under my armpits. Since they became progressively painful I visited a general physician and he diagosed them as follicultis and gave me an oral antibiotic for 10 days. The bumps disappeared but approx. a month ago they came back again. I thought I could cure them with antibiotic ointment but after 2 weeks they multiplied and also spread to one of my breasts (I occasionaly pluck hairs from my breasts). I went to see a doctor again (general physician) He diagnosed follicultis for my under arm area but was not so sure about the infection around my breast (he said the infection seemed to be deeper, in the breast tissue)He gave me Novo-Clloxin (500m) for 20 days as well. I started taking the medication 2 days ago and the existing red spots seem to be improving, but this morning I noticed a new one around my belly button (I pluck hairs there too). I guess my question would be: Do you think it is folliculitis? Does folliculitis spread even around the breast area? Why did the infection spread even though I have been taking antibiotics for 1 1/2 days? Is it normal for folliculitis to spread to these areas? Even while I am taking antibiotics?
What are the chances for recurrance once I have finished the antibiotics? I am now scared to shave...!What should I do insted of shaving? Thank you for your help.
I don't think the infection is "spreading."  Instead, I think you are producing a traumatic folliculitis by plucking the hairs.  Often, follicles get "clogged" spontaneously, but yanking hairs out by the roots will do it almost every time.  You don't really even have to treat most folliculitis--it goes away if you leave it alone.  My suggestion is to use a less traumatic way to get rid of your hairs: shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, electrolysis, or laser.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
HELLO.....I HAVE REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR SITE. I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE INFORMATIVE AND USEFUL TO SOME QUESTIONS I DO HAVE.
I HAVE A PROBLEM AND NEED SOME ADVISE. I HAVE DARK COMPLEXION AND MY LEGS HAVE SOME FIND BUMPS. I NVER SHAVE BECAUSE THER IS NO HAIR THERE. I HAVE TRIED ALL KIND OF CREME TO FADE THE SPOTS OR BUMPS, BUT THEY NEVER SEEM TO WORK.
WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THIS.ITS LOOKS LIKE HAIR BUMPS, BUT THERE IS NO HAIR THERE.
I AM VERY CONCERN AND IS THINKING OF DOING LASER SURGERY.......WHATS YOUR ADVISE.