Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Folliculitis

I'm a African American male that was diagnosed with folliculitis just on my scalp about two years ago. My hair does not itch I just get the little red bumps from time to time with no puss in them.  I don't know if I have just folliculitis or folliculitis decalvans my doctor didn't tell me. I have used a antibacterial cream and now using doxycycline. I have a sixty day prescription for this medication which I have already used 30 days already. It seems to be working with some progress. I have been on many web sites about folliculitis since I started getting it. One web site said once you use oral antibiotics for about six weeks to a few months it will clear up. One doctor I went to said it will never go away. Can this be cured or will I continue to have this for the rest of my life.
Folliculitis decalvans is a mauch rarer and more serious condition associated with deep scars, draining pus, bald spots, and other features you don't seem to have.

As to the longevity of your folliculitis, it's hard to say.  Treatment like antibiotics is not successful at preventing the appearance of inflamed or infected follicles, only of treating them when they're there.  This is true of many, perhaps most skin conditions: eczema, posriasis, and so forth.

On the other hand, just becuase the condition might come back doesn't mean it always will.  You may go for long or indefinite periods with little or no involvement or need for treatment.

My advice is to take one step at a time.  See how well this therapy does for you, then work with your doctor to lessen and taper off the therapy, and see how it goes.

Frustrating, perhaps, but controllable.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have been fighting scalp acne for over 2 years, very annoying & embarassing when I go to the hairdresser. I have been to the dermatologist for this problem but the Tx course he prescribes is Tetracyline or other Cycline antibiotics & these cause me awful nausea & vomiting. I have tried various shampoos & have found that Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree oil shampoo & tea tree conditioner give me the best results. I have more or less decided that my scalp is going to do what it wants & all I can do is keep up the special shampoos. Oh, Crew shampoo line for men also makes a shampoo that I think contains mint or similar ingriedients that is cooling to the scalp, this may be good for the guys out there. I forget the name of the shampoo but it is made by Crew & you can get it at hair salons.

The one question I have is why all of a sudden did I develop this condition? I have had oily hair ever since I have had hair but this condition has been with me only 2 years. I guess hormonal changes could be part of the problem, I am at that point in the age game- 39. :(

Well I just wanted to share my story & I hope I was able to give someone else a few ideas. Thanks.
"Folliculitis decalvans is a mauch rarer and more serious condition associated with deep scars, draining pus, bald spots, and other features you don't seem to have." -EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE

I've been on every single hit on google for Folliculitis decalvans and acne kelodilis- teh pictures and descriptions fit 100%, I KNOW I have both...i have keloid scars on the left crown  and all over the top.
The scars are smooth (no signs of any hair on 'em) with samll enlarged pores/follicules in which 4-7 shafts of hair try to grow from.(this is only around the edges of the scars-sadly not enough to form a canopy for the scars)
I spend almost 1/3 my day in the mirror wondering what the people who walk behind me must think looking at my scalp.
I am very depressed, in college (i.e. broke) and i need a ray of light at the end of the tunnel...can i do anything ??
maybe work and save everything i have to get surgery (mind you i'm afro-carribean with i suppose a tendancy to scar)

**some history** i have severe cystic ance since i was 17(currently 23)- i have been on almost every antibiotic for the acne ; currently in the 3rd month of a accutane treatment which is working beautifully...too bad my scalp prevents me from going anywhere.

I have an appointment with a Derm in mid April, should i go??..the keloids are old and i suppose too old to be shot with cortizone (had taht doen when i was 21- decreased in lumpiness but still hairless)-even then I'm still horribley bald and disfigured.

Should i waste money i dont have on the Derm or am I at the end of the line here????
PLEASE HELP!!!!

A related discussion, What else is there to do was started.
A related discussion, DON'T USE CREW!!!! was started.