Foot Fungus Blisters?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Foot Fungus Blisters?

So I was using an athlete's foot spray and it helped clear up some fungus I had in between my toes. However on my second toe I had a small red bump and thought it was the fungus manifesting itself again. I kept using the spray especially on the toe. Well the bump got bigger and now is about the width of my toe. Thing thing is, is that it looks like a blister. It's not firm, yet it won't pop, and when I bend my toe the texture becomes bumpy. It does itch, which is why I thought it was recurring fungus. My other foot fungus hasn't recurred, just this thing grows and grows. I use rubbing alcohol on my shoes and toe, but nothing seems to stop it from growing. I don't know what it is!!

This could be a fungal infection. Athlete's foot, also called tinea pedis, is a fungal infection of the feet. Most people want to avoid athlete's foot because it is uncomfortable and unsightly. Left untreated, the Trichophyton and Epidermophyton organisms which cause it can spread to other parts of the body.

By keeping the feet clean and dry, you can avoid athlete's foot infection rather effectively. Socks made from cotton and other materials which will wick moisture away from the foot should be worn, along with shoes made from leather and similar breathable materials. People who sweat a great deal may want to consider changing socks more than once a day to avoid athlete's foot, and using a foot powder to reduce perspiration. Shoes or sandals should also be worn in common areas, especially moist ones where the fungus will thrive.

Many people actually carry the fungus on their feet all the time, but do not develop an infection because they keep their feet clean and dry. Although the name suggests otherwise, the infection can happen to anyone, not just athletes, although people who frequent areas like pools and gyms may be more likely to pick up the fungus and have moist, warm feet for the fungus to grow on. If athlete's foot is detected, take steps to eradicate it quickly. It can lead to increasing discomfort on the part of the foot's owner. Ultimately, the nails of the foot will also become infected, and they may fall off.

To avoid athlete's foot reinfection, there are also a few steps which can be taken. It is possible to reinfect yourself with the fungus, or to spread it to other areas of the body. On other body parts, it is more commonly known as ringworm. The bedding of anyone with athlete's foot should be washed frequently, and floors that their feet come in contact with should also be washed. Shoes worn by the patient should be aired out completely before being worn again, and the use of an enzymatic cleaner or fungicide may help to ensure that the fungus is entirely gone. Socks should be washed and completely dried all the time to avoid athlete's foot, but especially in the case of an active infection.

Regards.