Dermatology Expert Forum
For the past week I have had a rash on my lips with little pimples.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

About a week ago I noticed a  white-ish area on my upper lip.it was like a thick white-colored patch going over my upper lip. When I pulled my lip tight I could see lots and lots of what look like very small pimples. The area has spread thicker and it is more raised now than it was at first. I also notice that the pimples (don't know what else to call them) seem flat under the skin at first and then seem to become small pimples. I can now feel small bumps in certain areas of my lip. I have taken a needle to a couple of them to try and pop them but nothing came out. There are soooooo many of them but they are very small. I don't have any pain from this, some burning but I think that is from the stuff I am putting on my lips. What could this be? I have looked up everything and I can't find anything that matches what I have.  The area doesn't hurt and I have never had a cold sore so I don't think it is oral herpes. I have seen impetigo but I don't think I have that either. I have read also that you can get warts on your lips? They are so little so I can't tell if they are warts. but I sure hope not, and how can anything grow so fast? whatever it is it has taken over most up my top lip and I am starting to see it on my bottom lip to.You don't see the small pimples unless you pull on the lip though.
Any clue what this might be?

Thanks so much!
I think you have Fordyce's condition, a non-disease in which you can see small sebaceous (oil) glands on the pink background of the lips.  These mean nothing, are not contagious, and so forth.  I advise you to leave them alone and show them to a doctor next time you go, so you'll know for sure.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I don't see how this condition is what I have? I mean one day my lips were normal and the next the skin is raised and I have all these little bumps. ALso this is on the outside of my lips. The websites I looked at all showed pictures of the inside of the mouth. I just don't understand how my lip looks so bad and it is just some glands?
Renee, Have you figured out what the rash on your lip is?  I am going to the doctor Thursday.  It sounds like a have the same smptoms as you.  You can only see the little pimples up close, so it doesn't look bad, except to me.  It does itch a little.  The outbreak has occured and went away a couple of times in the last two months, lasting a little less than a week each time.  I kept thinking it was reoccuring because of chapstick or lipstick I hadn't thrown away, but I haven't used any of that since the last time this occurred, so now I'll ask the doctor.  I agree with you about the pictures on the web.  Sebaceous doesn't look like what I have.  Let me know if you've figured anything out.
hey, i had that in middle school. i used somebodyeslses lip gloss ana a thousand little bumps were on my lips. i wasnt worried it was herpes cause it was popular then and my friend had just had it and  checked  it out. it'll go away with medicated lip balm. the kind that make your lips burn. it should peel off. mine lasted a week. till i got the lip balm. i remember that too. haha. everyday i held my hand over my mouth or sucked in my lips. i cant remember what it was called but it wasnt herpes. im sure of that.

good luck though
Mine have been on my lips for over a month now, can't figure out what would cause these.
I had this on my lip several months ago and my grandmother gave me cold sore medication called Campho-phenique which comes in a small yellow ointment tube. This worked within 24 hours and it never came back. :) Good luck
Anyone else every figure out what these are? They just appeared yesterday on my upper lip only. I think it might be an allergic reaction to some Ulta lip gloss I just got, but I'm not sure. What did the doctor say to the one person who went?

any help would be appreciated!
hello sounds the same when 17 got yellow or clear little pimples now im 34 all over top lip spreading to bottom very embarrasing dont want to smile been to doctors said nothing to worry about  just getting worse tried everything good luck i hope you have sort it out
A related discussion, white or pink spots on my lips was started.