Fordyce Spots (pictures included)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Fordyce Spots (pictures included)

Ever since I got braces my lips have gone crazy, they are constantly chapped and no matter what I use it does not heal. I have to constantly have Aquaphor on my lips at all times. I already have big lips as it is, so I assume this might be part of the problem. This chapped condition caused me to get fordyce spots, at least I think so, because I never had them before.

I asked about them before, but was told it was no big deal, cosmetic only, and whatever, which made me feel pretty crappy because it seems to be not an issue, therefore there is no medicine or need to develop any for this at all except, high dollar laser treatment that may cause further damage, and not even work at all. It seems to be just a disconcerning matter.

What I ask is, do you think that after my braces come off, that my lips may return to normal? Is there absolutely anything I can do that may help me, rather then spending $2000 on something that probably won't work. I have searched the net and found that it seems to be an issue not worth solving to most doctors. These did not appear until after my lips became extremely chapped, so it seems the dryness is an issue. I drink loads of water and have tried just a bout every chapstick I could get my hands on.

I'm looking for some hope here, is there anything possibly?

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0321pa8.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0325vc6.jpg

I have pretty much given up and can only hope that they will go away once my braces come off, but from what I have heard they will probably never go away.

Thanks for your time, maybe you can give me some helpful info.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Fordyce spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland, and are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They are non-infectious and a natural occurrence on the body. No treatment is needed and if irritation is noted, mild topical steroids may provide relief but should be used with caution. Until your braces are removed, we may observe for now what will happen to this skin lesion. If the spots become itchy or irritated, it would be best to see your doctor for further evaluation.

Take care and keep us posted.
can fordyce be just one spot? i have a small white flat bump hard and smooth on the outside of my viginia lip? at times it can itch a little and i have noticed it for a cple months now..it does not grow and sometimes seems smaller..it is single by its self..it looks as if its a big white head but it will not pop i have tried to open it and it only bleeds..but its not as small as the fordyces i see its about the size of a ball point pin head..hopefully you can help me shed some light on what it could be