Dermatology Expert Forum
Forehead rash acne or an allergic reaction?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Forehead rash acne or an allergic reaction?

My daughter, age 18, recently developed a red, bumpy rash on her forehead only. Before January of this year, she had almost clear skin--just a few pimples now and then. She washed her face with Clearasil face wash some of the time, and also used Clearasil Vanishing Cream with benzoyl peroxide for certain spots at times. My daughter has hay fever, for which she takes Claritin in the summer months. Just before Christmas she had an episode with puffy, swollen eyes, after smelling and handling herbal-scented soaps in a store. Then, after Christmas, she decided the benzoyl peroxide in the Clearasil cream also made her eyelids swell, so she stopped using it. About the same time, her friend bought her a new winter hat, and she wore it a lot on a week-long ski trip. It was wool, with polyester fleece on the inside where it touched the forehead. Dating from that week in January, my daughter has had a reddish, bumpy rash all over her forehead, but nowhere else. She stopped the benzoyl peroxide and used salicylic acid gel for a while. But the rash got no better--if anything, it was worse. Lately, she's been washing with Dove soap for sensitive skin and applying hydrocortisone cream, as recommended by a doctor friend. It's not working! She says the rash doesn't itch, although I catch her "picking" at it sometimes. It seems to be a combination of dry skin and rash right now. At times it looks somewhat better, but then it looks worse again. The rash bumps are fairly small and close together, which looks more like a rash than acne. I have set an appointment with a dermatologist, but it's not until March 11. In the meantime, my daughter is suffering, because she thinks she looks terrible. Is there anything we can do to help right now? Thanks.