Dermatology Expert Forum
Foreskin Irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Foreskin Irritation

Hi Doctor,

I am a bit concerned about the health of my penis.  About 3 months ago, i developed an irritation around the corona of my glans (glands). It was mild discomfort, almost a itchy sensation which subsided within about 2-3 weeks,  I have recently redeveloped this irritation, and despite going to the doctor to get checked up it still has not cleared up, which is leaving me a bit concerned.  I have not been sexually active for about 5 months and no rashes, blisters, sores, etc. have developed. The only thing I have noticed seems to be two creases running distally from my frenulum, (but perhaps i am being paranoid).  Initially, I believed it was a fungal infection (i am uncircumsized) and was treated w/ a tablet of diflucan and was given a topical treatment of cloderm --- but it didnt not alleviated the symptoms. This prompted to again seek medical attention and a different physician said that it was just irritation due to weather, etc. (this seems plausible, since i am studying in the west indies for the time being and the irritation has only occured when i am here and not state side.  Both physicians i have seen have are positive it is not a sexual in nature and while it doesnt bother me, I am a bit concerned. I wanted to get your opinion and any treatment suggestions.  The second physician I consulted told me that I should leave it alone and clean the area with sterile (0.9% saline solution w/ a cotton ball) and that the irritation should clear up by itself.

Thank you for your help
It sounds to me as though what you are looking at is not abnormal at all and requires no treatment.  Of course, that diagnosis can only be made in person, but apparently you have seen doctors in person who came to the same conclusion, so if I were you I would take their advice and not worry about it and not look too hard.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff