Dermatology Expert Forum
Foreskin cracking and loss of stretchability

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

The uncircumsized foreskin of my penis has become much less stretchable and will no longer allow pulling back to expose the penis head.  This makes hygine much more difficult (although not impossible).  Additionally, the foreskin sometimes becomes cracked, sometimes to the point of light bleeding if stretched too much for cleaning.  When this cracking occurs, there is sometimes a dried, scaly yellowish substance that will peel or flake off.  If left alone, it will wash away in the shower and everything looks normal (still not stretchable, though).  Once, the stretchy characteristic returned to normal and all the above symptoms disappeared for months.  I don't recall doing anything special or different to make this happen.  However, it returned recently.  I have no unusual sexual activities (very rare sex, actually) and maintain good hygine daily.  What could cause the stretchable skin to tighten up and crack with the scaling effect occasionally?  What can I do to prevent it?  Of course, I don't want to pass anything to my wife, either.  My doctor just ignores my questions, saying it's natural for a 50-year-old man, and that I should just get circumsized.  Maybe I should find another doctor, too, or is he on target?
You may have a skin condition like eczema, which could account for decreased skin flexibility.  Trying a mild hydrocortisone (1%--OTC) may help, along with lubrication (vaseline) and gentle retraction of the foreskin.

On the other hand, you may indeed need to think about circumcision.  I suggest a visit to a dermatologist and/or a urologist.  Prevention is better than waiting for the foreskin to become so tight you get infected or blocked.  I don't mean to suggest this is an emergency, but consulting a bit more now seems like a more sensible bet than waiting.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I had the same symptoms once years ago and it was diagnosed as thrush (yes males can get it too). I took a course of Canesten creame which containes Clotrimazole and it eventually cleared up.
A related discussion, MANS HELTH was started.
A related discussion, tight foreskin was started.