Former splinter wound keeps peeling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Former splinter wound keeps peeling

About a week ago I had a small black splinter in my finger. My body eventually pushed it out but ever since my body has been unable to heal that spot.. It is as if the skin helps healing, then peeling away. It looks as if about 4 layers of skin are affected. The area will heal, then harden, then flake. The top layer has slowly begun to peel into healthy skin, which is a bit painful.

On the good side, the wound area isn't nearly as callious and hard as it had been. When I use neoprene or another cream, the wound looks better for a few hours. My skin has been really dry as of late. Could the wound be have trouble heeling if my skin is super dry? I should also mention that it does not smell, nor is there puss. The wound is not hot. There is no sign that it is infected.
For such a skin, you need to keep the area clean with topical antiseptics and antibiotics like Neosporin. Also wash the hand with mild soap and avoid using the part till there is complete healing.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.