Full Body Itching

My body has been itching me for the past week and its proved to be very difficult to sleep. There have been no signs of rash or anything of that nature.  I've tried moisturizing my whole body and putting cortisone but both aren't working. I really don't know what to do.

This is causing me a high level of stress and I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My dad is having this exact same problem, it is driving him crazy, no matter what I recommend topically, it does not help, we are at our wits ends.
Itchy skin can be due to dry skin, dermatitis, lice, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response doctor Bhupinder, however after one visit to the hospital and two visits to the dermatologist, I haven't gotten any closer to a solution. My dermatologist suggested a cream to cure scabies but after two applications, my itching still persists. I've tried several creams and am even taking hydroxyzine(sp) to help me go to bed at night. However, nothing is working. I'm going to see an allergist on Monday, but I was hoping that you may be able to suggest something else.

I'm trying to problem solve and eliminate things that may be causing it. I"ve changed my body soap, I've changed my laundry detergent, and gone to several different laundromats. I'm considering it could be from Advil. I've been taking Advil for a while to help with stress cramps. I think that my body just developed something to it. I also heard that it could be from rain, or even alcohol. I had a glass of wine last night and I'm going to see if when I stop drinking alcohol it goes away.

If you could suggest any other things that this may be coming from or any ointments or creams I would greatly appreciate it. Please get back to me as soon as you can.