Full body itching.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Full body itching.

Hey,

For the last 3 nights I have been woken up with full body itching.  I believe it is eczema from what I have read as I have no rashes but once I start itching/scratching I develop a rash wherever I itch. After a few hours into the morning the itching stops and the rashes slowly begin to disappear.  By mid day I am fine and by night the rashes are gone.   This happened to me once before for about 4-5 nights 7 months ago.

I did see a doctor and was prescribed Prednisone yesterday, however to no effect. I called him and I will be hearing back later in the day.

I am guessing the cause is a combination of stress and allergies.  I have year round allergies and used to get hay fever a lot until I learned to properly blow my nose which I do just about everyday. (that keeps my symptoms down to a few sneezes).  

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences similar to this and what worked successfully for them as well as a diagnosis for this could be.  The last time I had this, I tried claritin which didn't work.  Topical itch medication (benadryl) also does not work.

From your history of hay fever and your symptoms, it looks like atopic dermatitis to me. Other conditions cause itchy skin as well. Skin conditions like dermatitis, lice, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. Also apply some Corticosteroids, such as hydrocortisone cream on the itchy areas. A well-balanced diet that includes carbohydrates, fats, minerals, proteins, vitamins, and liquids will help to maintain skin health. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. He/She will start with the specific medications.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.