Dermatology Expert Forum
Fungus on my fingers or just dry skin?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Fungus on my fingers or just dry skin?
On the sides of my right fore and middle fingers (and maybe just beginning on my left forefinger) I have persistent scaliness that is slightly discolored - almost like dry skin that has collected dirt.  The discoloration, however, won't go away, though it has become less pronounced since I started to actively moisturize the area in the last few days.  The scaliness almost looks like lots of little paper cuts and the skin is rough.  Could this be some sort of fungus, or just extremely dry skin/exzema (which I tend towards)?  I think I've noticed this on my fingers before and it just sort of goes away at some point.  

If it is fungus, can I use over the counter medication for athlete's foot to treat it?  How spreadable is it?
No, I don't think it's fungus, so I wouldn't use athlete's foot cream.  I think it's more likely to be eczema, so I'd start with over-the-counter hydrocortisone and vigorous moisturizing with any lotion you like.  If that doesn't clear it up, a visit to a dermatologist should give you the diagnosis and treatment you need promptly.

I'm confident that you're not contagious.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff