Dermatology Expert Forum
Furuncle (Folliculitis, boils, etc.)
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Furuncle (Folliculitis, boils, etc.)

During the last year and one half, on four occasions I was (and am) plagued with a huge boil or zit or furuncle or whatever jargon you wish to accept.  This has only been one at a time but extremely painful, embarrassing, and scarey.  The first occurred out of nowhere under my arm.  One day is looked like a large red pimple but by the end of one week had grown to an enormous size being very hard and painful.  It resembled a milk cow's utter.  I read about it, followed instructions to use warm compresses and bacitraycin first aid antibiotic.  It finally started to ooze thick white pus and little by little I was homefree (after ten days).  However, I went to my general practitioner and he suggested an antibiotic (Cephalexin) which I did not fill.  One week later, I got the same boil on my head.  Since my hair covered it, it was not noticeable.  I filled the prescription and took four pills per day.  After about a week, it also drained and resulted in a bald spot about the size of a quarter.  By some miracle my hair re-grew in that spot.  During this episode I went to a dermatologist who thought (did not biopsy) it was a staph infection and wanted me on Cephalexin for six months.  I consulted another dermatologist who said that was overkilling and unnecessary.  After seven months the same thing happened under the other arm.  Once again I filled a ten day prescription for Cephalexin but this time had the doctor drain the furuncle.  A few weeks later the same thing happened again under the other arm.  I followed the same procedure.  Last week another furuncle developed on the back of my neck making it difficult to sleep and exercise.  I am taking a double dose of Cephalexin (500 mg) four times a day for ten days and using warm compresses waiting for it to explode.  

Is this to plague me the rest of my life?
What is causing it?
I am a very clean 51 year old man with no other medical problems.  
Is there a stronger medication to eliminate this from my system once and for all?
I'm at my wits end with pain, fear, and embarrassment.