Dermatology Expert Forum
Genital Herpes on Upper Thigh?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Genital Herpes on Upper Thigh?

I had sex with this guy I am seeing.  Afterwards, he noticed a series of red bumps on his upper thigh.  The bumps turned into blisters and went away within 4-5 days.  Fluid did come out of them.  We then had sex again and the bumps came back in the same place on his upper thigh but there were more of them than the first time.  They really weren't in a "cluster" per say, but there were a bunch of them more in a line (not sure if that makes a difference).  I have no symptoms (which I understand is "normal" for genital herpes).  I went to the doctor today and had a GYN exam and she said she didn't notice anything wrong, but I did take a series of blood tests for STDs and am awaiting results.  

Based on my reading on the Internet, it seems like this may be herpes, but I'm not sure.  It seems curious that it appears only on the upper thigh and no where else.  But, it also seems very telling that the bumps only appear after having sex.  Also, it went away within 4-5 days and then reappeared - I'm not sure this is "typical" herpes behavior.  

I understand that you can't know for sure without a physical diagnosis, but I would be interested in your thoughts.  If not herpes, what else could it possibly be?
I thunk it's probably folliculitis, or blocked pores from sweating.  When you say, "blisters," I'm not sure whether you are actually referring to water-filled bumps, or perhaps pimples or pustules.  Herpes is usually in a cluster, not a line.  It recurs,  but not usually so fast.  It usually affects the penile shaft, not the thighs.

Obviously, these are generalities.  If your friend gets these again, he should get them examined at once.  That's the best way for both of you to find out.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, A rash located in the groin area was started.
A related discussion, Outbreak...What is it? was started.