Dermatology Expert Forum
Genital Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Genital Rash

In short I have a rash on my scrotum and to a lesser degree on the penis, thighs and buttocks.  The rash started 3 months ago as a red scrotum and irritation.  I noticed white bumps or pimples on the underside of scrotum.  These bumps spread to various areas around the scrotum as and are now on the base of the penis.  The pimples leave one area and appear in another.  There has been a constant irratation on the underside right of my scrotum as well as in the crease between my legs and genital area.  Lastly  after this started I noticed a red ring around my penis about an inch down from the head with a few pimples at various spots at various times and a dark red spot on the underside where the ring completes itself (the ring has faded over time).  The pimples on my buttocks are few but bigger and come and go as well. My sexual history has been tame for the most part with a long time female partner and one occasion with another female of oral sex with a condom three months ago.

Having read the forum I have tried 1% hydrocortizone for two weeks with little relief and no stop to the pimples.  I am now trying bactine which seems to be helping stop new outbreaks but little relief in irritation.  Could this be a STD from the condom encounter?
I doubt it.  This sounds like folliculitis (blocked pores) to me.  Perhaps sweating and chafing are contributing.  I would keep the area clean and dry, but not over-wash.  I don't think you should bother putting antibiotics or cortisones on, just powder lightly.  If the pimples persist another week or two, show a doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Doctor,  I wanted to add that I am 45 years old and average weight and no other medical problems.  I was sick before this started with my annual bout of broncitis and took a full term of antibiotics.  Also,  I meant to say bacitracin not bactine in my post.  Lastly  the problem feels better every day but just won't go away. Especially the few white pimples at the edge of my scrotum and penis and the soreness at the bottom right of my scrotum and in the crease of my groin and thighs which is especially sensitive to any clothing I wear.  Thank you.