Dermatology Expert Forum
Genital Wart or Regular Wart?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Genital Wart or Regular Wart?

Hi Dr. Rockoff,

I originally posted this in the STD forum (yesterday), however the Dr thought it would be a good idea to post here too.

Basically...

I have grown what seems to be a WART on my inner thigh. About 3-4 fingers away from the groin. On the inner thigh of my right leg. i am pretty sure its a wart, its slightly raised, oddly shaped, and you can peel layers of the skin off. It kind of hard too, unlike a skin tag. It mostly looks flat, almost like its something stuck on top of the skin. I would say maybe its an Sebhorreic Keratoses (?) but its not brown, its SKIN colored.

Since it is only slightly raised, i figured it might be a Flat Wart, but those come in large bundles, they are hardly discrete (come in sizes of 1 ), could it be a common wart? I have had a couple on my knee and above the knee??

Or does it sound like a Condyloma (genital wart)? Its weird b/c I get checked regularly and recently saw a skin tag and thought it was a wart, biopsy revealed a skin tag.

I had sex with a girl 1 week ago. I wore a Condom, and even had my Boxers on, in fear of catching HPV / or any other STD, Molluscum,etc.

Prior to that its been like 2 years that I havent had sex.

I'm pretty sure that its a wart, but I cant think of any differential diagnosis, other than a Keratosis, if its not a Common Wart.

Would this count as a Common Wart or Genital Wart, even though its not on the Genital (mucous membrane), rather on the Thigh, which has the same skin as warts that were near the knee?

Please Advise. (I know its hard to judge without seeing it)

Thanks A Bunch.

Most genital warts in men are on the shaft of the penis, so right off the bat I'm skeptical that this is a wart at all--it may very well be a skin tag, which is more common on the inner thigh.  I advise you not to peel layers of skin off it and to show it to a doctor who can diagnose it and perhaps buzz it off you, so you won't have to think about it.

By the way, it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks for a wart to grow after exposure.  But as I said, I don't think what you have is a wart.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for the Reply Doctor.

I know I'm not a dermatologist, but aren't skin tags suppose to be like flaps and have thin bases, as oppose to warts which usually have broad bases?

This is some what hard, broad based, flat, and looks like it is stuck on top of the skin. It is skin colored too.

I saw images online, and thought it looked very much like a Seborrheic Keratosis, except this was skin colored.

I'm going to see a dermatologist about it tomorrow, however, if it is a wart, is it most likely to be a Genital Wart or a Common Wart?
Seeing as i had some warts above the knee on the same leg?

Thanks.
Larger skin tags, like the ones common in the groin, can have broad bases. Warts in the groin are usually genital, but not always.  It isn't possible most of the time to make an absolute distinction between them, and basically doesn't matter.

Dr. Rockoff
This isnt in the fold where the thigh and genitals meet (groin), this is several inches away and on the thigh.

I saw a derm today, and he said it could be a Seberrohic Keratoses, or a Verruca Keratoses, or maybe a Wart. So he took it off and sent it to the lab.

Hello, i am a bit worried that i may have hpv - genital warts. I have looked at all the pictures i can find online and what have does not look like genital warts, i noticed it a couple of weeks ago while shaving, it was on the way right side of pubic area, almost in the crease of my leg, i thought it was an ingrown hair so  i took a nail clipper and clipped it, it didnt come back, but now i have noticed on the EXACT SAME SPOT but opposite side of my body, it doesnt appear bumpy just looks like one bump, and after careful inspection i noticed one in the middle of my pubic area, all of these are not on my shaft or penis at all, they appear to be shiney and pink, they dont itch or hurt, and are not at all close to echother, and i have not seen any warts on my girlfriend at all.

but why im worried is because they wont go away..

could i have somthing else or could it be GW?

thanks

i have posted the pics, http://www.earth-sg.com/~earth/doc/1.jpg and http://www.earth-sg.com/~earth/doc/2.jpg , is this a normal wart of a genital wart?

Do i need to see a doc?

I have a wart or something in my inner thick.  It hang down about a .25 to .50 inches, like a little pie e of loose skin.  What could this be ?