Dermatology Expert Forum
Genital Warts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Genital Warts

Hello.  Thank you for your time.  

I went to the doctor last week after finding some bumps that I believed could be genital warts.  After taking a look the doctor put acid on these bumps and they basically were gone within a day.  Now the spots are black and blue.  Are they supposed to turn black and blue?  Is this normal for genital warts?  Or could have they just been something else?  

Also, my girlfriend had a pap and a STD test done a month after we were sexually active, and it came back clean.  It wasn't until 3 months afterwards that these bumps showed up, and we have only been with each other in that time.  Is this also normal?  We have both been with other people in the past, but wouldn't something showed up on her initial tests?

Thank you again for your time.  I really do appreciate it.
When warts are treated with acid, they don't go away in a day.  I don't know what you mean by saying that they were gone and now they're black and blue.  Liquid nitrogen can cause blue-black blisters but not after the warts go away.  acids cause scabs, not blisters.  I think you should ask the doctor who administered the treatment whether what you see is an expected aftermath, and also to look at what's there to see whether they have anything to do with warts.  Warts don't show up on standard STD tests--they either are seen or appear on Pap test results.  

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
if you have warts now maybe you had warts before you started dating this girl. Why didn't you get tested at the same time she did? maybe you should check to see if shehas them now too. If she does maybe you gave it to her.
good luck
chey
I am speaking from experience so please don't take my comments the wrong way.

I am married and never knew that I had HPV. I was expecting my first child when I was diagnosed in my 7 month with it.
It had never shown up on any of my previous pap smears and I go to the OB-GYN yearly.
I can tell you that I was told it does lay dormant in your body sometime for several years. And there are various degrees of HPV. Some are not as dangerous as others. IE.. cancer causing immediately or just minimal as long as they are treated.

I do know that it is spread by contact and it is very contagious.

My husband also has this now as well. It happens.

Your girlfriend should discuss this situation with her GYN as soon as possible so that they  can start doing pap smears on her every six months rather than yearly. That way they are able to see it sooner, rather than later.
If it goes untreated and it is a stronger strain of the virus it can be damaging to her reproduction in the future.

I know this seems like a  bit much, but I wanted to tell you from my experience that you shouldn't think about where it originated at this point. Just focus on your own lives and how you can stay as healthy as possible.

Good Luck to you.