Ginger For Hypopigmented Scars?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ginger For Hypopigmented Scars?

Can anyone attest that using fresh ginger works to heal/return pigment to hypopigmented scars? I was doing a search on hypopigmented scars and found a peculiar blog about how "passing over" fresh ginger onto hypopigmented scars will heal them - that this will return basically full pigment in 1 - 6 months.

Some quotes from the blog are:
------
I was referred by a friend to an old Chinese man who practices alternative medicine from his home. He told me to start using the juice of fresh ginger roots on my vitiligo.

Buy fresh ginger roots. Go home and wash the roots to rinse off soil and chemicals. Cut off a slice of the root and pass it over the discolored areas. Do not rub! When that slice dries out, cut another slice and do the same thing again. Do that everyday. Don't forget. You can also do it a couple of times a day. You DO NOT need to go out in the sun. You DO NOT need the ultraviolet sessions. You can QUIT everything else you're using.

(...)A healthy cell has to communicate with a neighbor discolored cell and 'tell it' to begin producing melanin. But the ginger roots have some type of property that 'teaches' the cells to begin producing melanin SPONTANEOUSLY, from inside out.
---------

The entire blog's 5 entries are devoted to this specific topic (ginger for hypopigmentation) and is written sort of gimmicky . But why would someone go at great lengths to make something this obscure up? Especially if it didn't work. There's nothing for sale on the blog and I can't see how the author would make any profilt.

I'm about to try this on a hypopigmented scar I've had for a few years now (on my penis), but wanted to know what some of you think. It wouldn't suprise me if works greatly and is hardly known at all, seeing as ginger basically costs nothing and no big companies can make a profit from its sale.

Also the site's quotes mention to use the juice of fresh ginger, but then says to simply "pass" the ginger over the scar until it dries (not rub). I'm not quite sure what that means.. Maybe I should just try squeezing a little juice on the scar?
I got laser burn and got hypo pigmentation on my arms,,,,,I cant wear sleeveless anymore,,, Its been a month and i am using vitamin E and now i ahve started using ginger juice,,,,,If i see any change i will let you know,,,,,,,,
Does anyone know if these marks from laser burn ever goes away? I am so stressed......
I have hypopigmentation from laser hair removal on my legs it has been 3 months did the ginger work for you? I have been so stressed out also.
I have just started using ginger 3 days ago,,,,,,,but when i got my laser and got burned, i started using vitamin e and mixed it with vitamin A and D cream from wallgreen,,,or shoppers drug mart,,,,,,,,, and i use to keep it moist 24-7 and use to do this 3 or 4 times a day and its been a month since i got my laser but i could see a little change and my marks are not that white or red anymore.......I am trying to put vitamin e and ginger juice on my marks.........just to see if this changes it more.....One more thing,,,,if u put all these things and u feel that its too greasy,,,then u can put some baby powder on it too........
These hypo pigmented scars are very hard to get rid of and there are not too many things about the treatment..........
i am also trying to have basil leaves in tea 2 times a day.........as it is suppose to help get rid of hypo pigmentation,,,,,,so i will keep u updated with my pigmented scars.........
Check this out too
http://www.hair-n-skin-care.com/blog/skin-treatments/remedies-for-skin-patches-treatment.html
Its been a week since i am using ginger juice on my arms and my marks have been starting to blend in :)
my hypo pigmentation is getting darker and actually it is getting darker than my skin tone,,,,,,,,maybe they are going to blend in soon,,,,,,hope for the best........
its been 3 months now and i am also using vitamin E and Eucerin cream mixed every night now hope for the best,,,,,,
That's interesting, shine. Are you using ginger AND vitamin E + Eucerin cream? Or just those last two?

I've been putting fresh juice from ginger root 1 - 2 times a day on my scar for over 4 months, and I can't say if it has done much. Since I know not of any other options, I'll continue to try it.. Maybe it takes a long time for older scars (mine's 2 years old).
HELLO!! If you read my post ( http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Sudden-appearance-of-light-patches-around-mouth/show/1207196?personal_page_id=1318173#post_5519416 ) you will discover that I too have been plagued by two patches of hypopigmentation due to a stupud hydrocortisone cream prescribed by my doctor. I recently read the article about ginger.. I do not have any ginger at home but I'm going to start the remedy ASAP and I promise to get back to you as soon as I see any results! All the best, God bless you!
Shine......are you kidding me right now?!?!?  I have been dealing with FULL BODY hypo for going on 2 years now as a result of laser hair removal.  My dermatologist has prescribed phototherapy 2-3 times a week which I just discovered I will not be able to afford.  I tried tanning last fall and got decent results but what you really need is UVB to repigment your skin, not UVA.  My derm also told me to buy an OTC lotion, AmLactin.  It's not cheap but it's exfoliating the hell out of my skin already.  Anyway, when I told him I'd been using a vitamin E cream he told me to stop using it because the skin can essentially become immune to it.  Anyway, I just came across that blog about ginger and it sounded believable enough because she's not selling a thing.  It looks like she's simply sharing her experience.  I have both fresh ginger and basil at home and will put them to use the second I get home today.  I have nothing to lose....but spots.  I'm going to give this a try and see what happens.....
Hey guys is this ginger remedy really helpful?? I have a hypo pigmented burn scar on my hand and I hate it!! I've been putting ginger juice + vitamin E. on since the past 2 days and um so far everything is the same. Should I keep putting it on?? Will it really work?? I really want this scar to go away =( HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello!! Did you use the ginger remedy..? did it help? :( any helpful advice?
hi guys, i started this for a week now. twice a day, im putting ginger slices on top of the hypopigmented spots. as for any changes, yes there is. but very minimal at this point. i believe it is not an overnight remedy. i will try this for 6 months and will let you know if it is indeed effective. i have searched over the net and there is no site or page that said it is effective nor if there is any research that says so. i only got this idea from you guys. what have i got to loose if i try it? well time and a few cents for the ginger. i have been to expensive laser treatments, all i got was worsened scars. i will update every now and then.
I had hypopigmentation (scar) due to a lazer treatment (C02) gone to deep and have lived with the scar area on my face near left nasal fold for well over 10 years. Having more lazer treatments did shrink the spot but the scar still remained and I ended up with demarcation lines from different lazers. I've since been using ginger juice and it's blending my skin again to my natural fair skin. What you need to do is not just apply on the surface since the juice needs to penetrate the skin in order to create circulation and blood flow to that area - so I use a hand held massage divice to penetrate ginger juice into the area with the white patch. I've only done so for a week but there is a change in color now so will continue until it's fully gone.. For those with demarcation caused by lazer - a great way to blend those lines is to use RSL Peels but you may need at least 6 treatments to truly blend those lines. I had to deal with that as well thanks to lazer screwing up my face but these treatments improved those areas so one can NOT tell I had anything done unlike before when my face SCREAMED botch surgery :)

Good luck!
did it work for you in your case?
How everybody is doing! The ginger is really working?, I have white scars from acne in my face, neck, chest and back, they are all over and they're old.....I am ready to try the ginger, I just  would like to have an update from those ones who have tried.

Thank you.
My God!
Reading all this just makes me think I still have a hope! I've been having a (minor) hypopigmentation for almost 2 months now, and it's been stressing me out because I have it on my penis. So it's really not cool to see.

I tried Dermatix first, and after 2 weeks and there was no result, I saw a dermatologist who (I have no idea why on earth he did this) prescribed me Hydrocortisone 2.5%. At first I just followed what my derm told me, plus the pharmacy told me Hydrocortisone could actually make the skin repigment. But after doing more research, I found numerous people who testified that Hydrocortisone could actually cause hypopigmentation!

I've been applying it for a week, and after reading all this, I don't feel like applying it anymore. I'll definitely try ginger!  
Does anyone else have anything to share on this ginger treatment?  
Ok, had my first ginger trial today, and HIGHLY UNRECOMMENDED if you were about to pour it on your genitals! I had an EXTREMELY burning, stinging sensation, and after a while I checked my penis and there's no sign of inflammation, rash, discharge whatsoever. Maybe because penis skin is thinner than the rest of the body. When I poured it on my hands I didn't feel anything.

I don't know if I can stand this treatment for months; my first trial didn't seem to work. I'll try the combination of Vitamin B12 + folic acid + sun exposure.
Good luck to all of us!
Hi Shine,
Your posts are the only ones that seem to give me some hope. I had laser hair removal done on my arms about 3 weeks ago when got burnt. My scabs have fallen off and have left hypopigmented white spots on my forearms and I cannot afford to wear anything sleeveless any longer. They look disgusting. Reading up on this, I found that people have not been able to get rid of them, but it seems you had some amount of success getting rid of these scars. I am ashamed to show my arms and am depressed every time I look at them.
I would be very grateful if you could share your regimen about the ginger treatment. How many times did u apply it? did u apply the juice or rubbed slices of ginger on your skin? How many times a day did you apply ginger? You mentioned that your patches became darker than your original skin color, was this temporary? I am so stressed about this and cannot concentrate on anything....it has affected me immensely...please help me...how long do I keep applying this....? did your pigments go away completely?
I'm so glad u shared this with everyone....may God bless you...
Hope to hear from you.
Did the ginger treatment work for you at all ? I had my laser hair removal treatment done exactly a month ago and had burns which have now led to hypopigmentation all over my arms. They look awful and I am ashamed. Please let me know if the ginger treatment helped, as this seems to be my only hope
Just want to share my experience with ginger and hypo pigmentation.  I got a REALLY bad sunburn back in April which resulted in white hypo pigmentation spots all over my chest- I was so annoyed and thought they would go away eventually- since I have been burnt many times.  After a month of no change I stared researching and found few options.  Hydroquinone- a skin lightener banned in some countries cuz it may cause cancer- no thank you, laser- no thank you, a deep chemical peel that would like burn off a few layers of skin- um no, and then the bog on ginger... so I went with the latter and have been using it 1-2 times a day or as often as i can remember for the past two months.  There is definitely a difference.  My skin is becoming more blended!  I simply cut a slice of ginger from a fresh root and rub it on my skin- simple and apparently effective, so I plan on continuing with this for as long as it take to rid me of my discoloration and I am confident that it will eventually be completely blended back to normal.  Good luck to everyone else- if contemplating- I say for sure use ginger- it does not burn at all (what?), is inexpensive, easy, and smells great.  Only cons- slow process and you have to be consistent with daily applications but this is like any "medicine".
i just started doing the ginger root treatment today. i'll keep y'all updated excited! :D
Same here. I started applying ginger root juice on affected areas. I'll keep you informed later on about the result.
Hi everybody!
Im really desperate as well after having my skin damaged by ipl laser, but I got more of HYPER pigmentation with some small dots of hypo pigmentation in it. I've been recommended lots of different bleaching things etc, but I wonder - wouldn't ginger also help my problem of hyper since ginger really seems to activate cell renewal and circulation - thus blend my darker discoloration eventually? Anyone know anything? Really desperate, would be so happy if I got a lead, thanks.
Hi everybody!
I have today started the ginger root juice treatment. I am hoping to God it works. I have had hypo pigmentation for 6 years now and have tried all treatments to no avail. Only last week i stopped UVB treatment from the hospital. In fact i was discharged by the doctor. Reason? after 8 months of twice weekly treatment and no visible results, he advised discontinuance. I will keep all posted on my progress.
About 5 days ago, I have began the ginger treatment for hypopigmentation spots on my face (the result of sun exposure too soon after CO2 laser treatment). I also have hyperpigmentation and am concerned that rubbing the ginger over my hypopigementation spots will darken my hyperpigmentation spots. Does anyone have any thoughts or information about this?
I cant express how hopeful i am about this ginger treatment..i have had hypopigmentation for about four years now...i have small white spots all over my face and ive tried everything and ive stumbled over this blog and i feel like i have hope again!!! I will keep you all posted on whether it works for me..anyone having success with the ginger treatment?
Hello can anyone give me an update on their results, I have hypopigmented spots on my face and really want it to go away
I had some permanent makeup removed from my lips and upper lip line using a removal method which involves tattooing over the area with an acid solution. The tattoo pigment is nearly gone but now I have some hypo pigmentation on my upper lip line. I am going to try the ginger root slices every night and let you all know if I see any results.
hi i have hypopigmentation on my jawline .. do i simply rub a slice of ginger root all over my face or just the affected area .. they are white spots .. thankyou
I am getting married in 3 months and I have hypopigmentation all over my arms, back and chest due to a pityriasis rosea. This is really upsetting cause I already bought a expensive wedding dress that is strapless which will show my hypopigmentation. Has anyone noticed a difference with the ginger? does anyone have any other suggestions? please reply back I am desparate!!!
hi. i noticed you have a number of comments--i read a few of them--it got me to buy ginger root today--i had never heard of it before--any success so far?--i have white scars on my hand--i peeled the ginger root but it's pretty dry--it's not like an orange--where is the juice that you're supposed to apply?--is there ginger root juice that you can buy and is that what you're using?
i have been living with hypopgimentation for 6mths now and have been using a cream called Elidel with healed it slightly but not totally,my entire forehead and right side of my face is basically discoloured and being a 27 year old young woman i am conscious about it daily. I found this blog and have started to use the ginger root going on one week exactly i haven't seen any improvement yet but I'm hopeful because there isnt anything else left.
hey tia,

i also have hypopigmentation on my face im 26 and im extremely depressed about it.. did u have any luck in using it??? please let me know
hey tia,

I also have hypopigmentation as well as hyper-pigmentation on my face after burns from a tca chemical peel. I will start applying ginger today and update you guys every 3 weeks. It has been 1 month since my burns and I'm very excited to try this. Thank you guys and thank God for the internet, I am a beautiful 27 year old woman, a model and I have been in Vogue, and lots of magazines and my face is my work and pays for my bills now my forehead and checks are damaged from hypopigmentation and hyperpigmentation and I have not worked in a month, I really hope this works.
I too have hypopigmentation all over the bottom half of my face and it has gotten worse and is spreading all over the face I have tried obagi nu derm and blue peel which made appearance blend in better but it has never gone away. It seems lots of people are trying ginger but not many people saying they have had a good result. Would love to know if there are any other treatments to try. I know how u feel about this terrible skin condition it depresses me too, I recommend you try d-y-oderm which is a skin stain it helps to blend into the skin more and I couldn't be without it
how about and update on the ginger root????
NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO DO A UPDATE... I'll update you on my stuff, and be the hero that everybody wants. It's been (I didn't really exactly count, Estimated) 4 Weeks, and I haven't seen anything yet. I'll come back in 6 weeks, to tell yall if it works or if I start to see blending or anything. And the spot is on my lip, It's hypopigmentation, and I use fresh ginger root from a jamaican store, Welcome.
I myself have been using ginger for about a month twice a day ...and it does seem to be working im starting to see brown little freckles an it starting to really blend in  all u have to do is cut a thin slice of ginger root and apply it to your white patch if it dries out quick cut another slice .
Over 40 ppl saying they are going to try ginger.... Please, is it helping anyone ???
Yes, it works! I have been using ginger for about two months now and i am seeing lots of freckling. But you have stick with it--it won't happen over night.
yes ginger works , i  have been using it for last 3 months and my skin colour is coming back on white scar , i apply twice a day , but it takes time i read that one has use ginger at least 6 months . so i will use it for 6 months , yes i can see the differrence . so do use . i came over this site while searching for the treatment of white scar , so thanks
Hello everyone, I also have hypopigmentation under my eyes ( white circles caused by the use of glycolic acid and sun exposure while wearing sun glasses). My white spots took the shape of my sunglasses leaving me with droppy looking eyes.... I started using ginger twice a day for the past week, and as  funny as it may sound, I can  see some light freckles where the skin was missing color. I will definetely keep doing it because I feel very positive about the results. I'll keep everybody updated! I wish us luck! ! !
Just some background info on my situation...I don't have a scar but I have an odd "birthmark" where instead of it being hyperpigmented, its hypopigmented and is all over my arm, this would be okay if the rest of me wasn't tan....so it's an obvious and very annoying...

Anyways, I've tried using ginger root, slicing a thin piece and leaving in on the skin for a few seconds and I have done this in the winter time for a couple of months.

What I've noticed is on my hand and forearm, the ginger root doesn't seem to repigment while on my upper arm it has freckled/repigmented parts of my skin...

ALSO...

Although this is not related to ginger root specifically, I've been reading up on vitiligo treatments and thought since the goal is to re-pigment the skin why not see if I can find anything useful.  Well, I found an Ayurvedic treatment...Babchi oil mixed with mustard oil

For the past few days I've been applying a couple of drops of this babchi oil on my arm and then sitting in the sun for about 15 mins and from what I've seen, it turns my arm slightly pink and those pink areas then turn a light tan color.  (The areas of light pink are not painful)  I'll update a bit later, with hopefully better news.  
QUESTION: when ginger root is rubbed on the hypopigmentation, will it simultaneously cause your regular skin tone or any possible hyperpigmentation around the lighter area to darken? Thanks in advance
if you're impatient w/ ginger root, there's michele nicol in jupiter, fl.--owner of medical spa, international trainer for permanent makeup, nationally certified--she treats hypopigmentation and is very good at covering it up--she has treated me.  her phone number is 561-575-4247.
Any update on the 2 comments up?
Did you notice your regular skin tone around the hypopigmentation get darker at all?
I do too have some white scares on my arms. I am going to start using ginger starting tomorrow and will keep you posted in a month if I see any results. My dermatologist suggested I use Latisse (which is used for eyelashes). Has anyone used it?
Also for those who are trying ginger can you please post your updates :) thanks!
Did the ginger darken the skin around your hypo or your hypo too much?
i to have white spots from laser going to deep and am embarrassed. ihave a lot of marks is it better to get a liquid of the juice or actually use the root?
ok guys,
so i burnt my arms a few months ago due to a laser treatment and sheer stupidity of going while i had a tan. and at the time i thought nothing of it, so it wasnt properly treated. so now ive been left with lighter patches of skin on both arms and look like a freak of nature. and ever since ive been trying to find treatments. i first came across this ginger experiment, i tried passing it on the spots, twice a day for a couple weeks and saw little or no difference. but at the same time you cant really tell a difference, its almost like not realizing you grew an inch over a year. so anyways i tried looking for something else that can help. i thought maybe the patches were actually my real skin color and the surrounding areas were just hyperpigmented. so i tried rubbing lemon juice with a q-tip where my skin was darker. i tried that for about a week and found little difference.
then, i tried bio-oil since it was supposed to help improve the appearance of uneven skin tone. i would just apply it all over my arms and then started thinking maybe i was suposed to apply it to the lighter area.... i wasnt sure so i completely stopped using it.
at this point i was going crazy, i then came across this page and thought id maybe try the ginger again. and lately ive been peeling the outer ginger and cutting thin slices, almost paper thin, and just leaving it on the lighter patches until it dries out...... and i think it has been helping. i think. come to think of it, you could probably tape the ginger on so its like a ginger bandaid.
thennn my best friend suggested to actually try waxing around the lighter patches since waxing does remove dead skin cells, i went to a salon yesterday and explained my problem so the lady was careful not to go over the lighter hypopigmentation spots, and it actually really helped! the hypo pigmentation is still there but way better! its not such a drastic contrast anymore.
long story short, dont try the lemon juice, dont try the bio-oil. try the waxing, and if not, i would then continue using the ginger but keeping it on longer. i really dont think "passing over" it with the ginger will help very much. or you could even try both but i would wait a day or two after waxing so your skin doesnt get irritated from the ginger.
ill keep you guys updated with my results since no one will.
cheers!
I had small white patches all over my body due to a disease called PYTIRIASIS LICHENOIDES CHRONICA.and it left some white spots all over my body..ihave fair complexion so its very noticeable..i tried phototherapy but did not work..i am using ginger root juice for over a week..so far nothing has changed..but im still clinging to a hope..i will use it for 6 months and see if anything happens..
Please guys, update on the ginger treatment...
Just wanted to post about my experience.  I had hypopigmentation resulting from laser burns on my arms. The laser tech told me sometimes the color comes back after anywhere from 8 months to a year, if it comes back at all. She told me to keep my arms covered and not get any sun exposure. I tried vitamin e oil, aloe vera gel, and other things with no luck. After about 3 months of dealing with this, I went to the determatologist who specializes in African American skin. She told me exact opposite of the laser tech. She advised the sun stimulates the production of melanin in the skin and would be a benefit. Around the same time I also came across this blog about ginger root juice and decided to give it a try. I had a cruise in the upcoming weeks and wanted to try what I could since I wanted to wear sleeveless clothing.  I didn't tan or anything. I really just went about my normal day, in short sleeves, getting sun where I could, even hanging my arms over  the car door on a sunny day while driving. I also rubbed ginger root juice on my arms each night and let it dry. I would actually put the root in the freezer. I would cut a piece off and put in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds to thaw it. Once it was soft I would squeeze it to get the juice and rub the root on my arms. I noticed results within 3 weeks. I got plenty of sun on my cruise and my color really seemed to come back then. I would say my full color was back about 6 to 8 weeks after I started the ginger root & sun exposure.  Glad I went to the dermatogist, because I could still be dealing with that issue if I hadn't.
Hi .. I recently had a severe sun reaction over my entire body and I have hypo pigmentation everywhere .. Did the ginger juice work for you ? I'm really scared right now ...you're results would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks :)
Did the ginger treatment really work.
Did the ginger treatment really work.
I also suffer from hypo-pigmentation, I have seen all the dermatologist, got all the creams and gels but still no help. I have light spots on my cheeks, chin and neck; this is what I did, I stopped drinking sodas and juices. I drank only water and ate healthy for 1mnth, I'm talking fruits, nuts, salads grilled food etc. I then did a 7 day clense (7day clense pills for women) and took biotin and i started seeing improvements, I'm thinking its all the toxins in our system. I also used cetaphil lotion n sunscreen mixed together. My face was completely back to normal, then silly me started eating bad foods and drinking sodas again and needless to say my face is back to square one, so I'm on the clense right now and after that I will be taking a probiotic pill daily. I might try this ginger thing as well, but i also drink a lot of ginger tea... sooo...
It actually works. I put too much dark spot remover cream on my face so I had hypopigmented areas so I put a fresh slice of ginger on my face twice a day and it went away completely by 2 months. Thank god
I think i have post-inflammatory hypopigmentation. I haven't had it diagnosed but after hours of googling i think thats what is on my chest and shoulders. Having fallen asleep in the sun and burning very badly, i used flammzine to hep the blisters and i am now left with smooth but very discoloured patchy skin which has meant i can no longer wear low-cut tops of any kind or indeed anything without short sleeves. It is really getting me down and i have had in since May. It may have faded slightly but to be honest i see no marked improvements.

I am so worried incase the cells have burnt out - also, it wont cover with makeup properly and leaves a mess on all my clothes/sweats off and i am a paranoid wreck with it!

All i have been doing is exfoliating the area, moisturising well and keeping out the sun since it happened. I have read about Laser Skin Resurfacing which is for deeper pigmentation in the dermis but as i am no expert all i have really been doing is reading about it and not doing anything dramatic incase it is detrimental. I have had it for so long now i was hoping in 5 months it would have gone.

I am going to go to my Dr first and seek advice before i book anything, i have just spoken to them on the phone and they advised me to not go with any lazer therapy until they have seen it (as some lasers can actually cause hypo-pigmentation or make it worse?). The doc also said sometimes sunbathing can help this as it encourages the skin to produce melanin and this may even it out a bit.

If you could help me figure out what to do or the next steps to take i would really appreciate it.
Just wanna know if the ginger is really effective??I also suffer hypo pigmented scar due to wounds. It is a flat circle on my knees which is whiter than my actual color. The whiter color was surrounded by not so dark and is very visible.The scar is more than ten years old now and I dont know what to do. It really ruined my confidence and I want to get rid it off if possible until I read your post. I tried other stuffs like vitamin e and silicon gel but its not really effective for hypopigmentation. I also tried to make my skin whiter to blend in with the scar but this is so hard and costly. I also read the book of Sean Lowry -The Scar Solution and he recommends needling for hypopigmentation.I will really try this ginger and I hope this will work for me.Thanks.
OK, I just discovered this forum yesterday and tried out the ginger on several spots that were leftover scars on my elbows, by my armpit, and on my neck from cat's scratch disease.  The results were so exciting that I had to comment!  I've had these scars for over 10 years now.  Hopefully, it's not a delusion but I think that there has already been repigmentation on my elbows and armpit.  I can't really see the back of my neck...It's the biggest spot and the tape I used to hold the ginger fell of quickly so I figured I'd just focus on the other areas for the time being, but for this second application, I was sure to secure it there, too.  I like the burning and tingling sensation; it just feels like it's working:)  Will post a future update with, hopefully, a complete success story!  
I have a white circular scar on my neck.  I like all here, despise it.  its about 10 years old.  I started the ginger application about 5 months ago.  pretty much 3 times a day, morning , afternoon and night.   I unfortunately have seen no results.  
I grind my ginger in Nutribullet and then use a Q tip to apply to hypopigmented areas of my face -- hypopigmented areas caused by quacks who didn't know how to use dermabrasion or a laser.  
so its a paste that you kinda leave on all day?  how long have you been applying?  results?
I too, have suffered from hypo inflammatory pigmentation as well. This resulted in a hair removal laser treatment on my stomach, that I had done on Dec 15, 2013. I am south asian, so my tummy is slightly darker than an olive tone person. My spots are darker than my stomach, which is emotionally distressing at times. I've been using retisol A cream o.5% for awhile then I started to use vitamin E cream but it's not really doing much. My dermatologist said that it will take close to year for it to be gone, if I  continue to use the cream everyday and at bedtime.  I am very interested and relieved to know about Ginger root. I will have to get some this weekend and see what happens as the days goes by.  Will keep everyone posted.

So just to clear, it's best to shave the skin and stick in a blender to create paste…then place it on the scar? I think otherwise, it would be difficult to get the juice out of a root, non?

Could someone please answer the previous questions if the ginger darkens the normal skin tone?
Because some might have smaller dots of hypopigmentation, thus it would be easier to just pass the ginger all over the skin.
Thank you all in advance !
hi everyone,
i had gynecomastia surgery and unfortuneately, the scar at my right areola widened a bit at one place (maybe 1/2 an inch). The skin in this space is even and soft, but hypopigmented. having a white spot at the areola is a bad thing and i probably get it tattooed with permanent makeup to blend it in in half a year. but now reading about ginger, i will start a try. bought fresh ginger today and tabed a slice on the scar a few minutes. i will coninue doing this twice a day and see what happens.
jus tone question: do you press the juide out of the ginger and but the liquid at your skin or tab or rub the slice over it? what is the best method?
what about the idea of fixing a slice of ginger on the hypopigmented spot over night with (surgical) paper tape?
I suffer from post hypo pigmentation as well for the last 8 months. I have spots all over my beard and forehead. I think I need to also clean up my diet I think is causing this issue.I think I will follow your lead on this
OK everyone,

Finally I got a chance to see the posts here. I saw many people bothered by these scars and me too. I had a new scar on my hand and I've been looking on the net for effective methods sd well. I don't think the lemon juice would work, vitamin E might works a bit.

For the ginger... OK, in China we add that to cook with food and it really add more flavors and do a lot of things.. It's not common here in the US but people are getting to know it. In terms of helping removing scars, what it really does, from a traditional chinese medicine standpoint of view, it helps the blood circulation and thus the regeneration of the local skins and tissues. Applying the juice might work a bit, but what you really need to do is to rub it (after cutting) around the spot (you can cut a slice and discard it, then you can use the ginger again), I don't think it will darken your normal skin since it will just let those skin regenerate faster.

In short, combining ginger (which gives you slight burning sensation) with rubbing really helps for the skin to regenerate. It should work to some extent.
Thank you for clearing up some questions I had.  I am surprised at how common this problem is.  My white spots are from breakouts and then too much sun.  On my cheeks on both sides of my face....hiding them for years.  I started with a slice of ginger today and rubbed it on the spots.  Will do this twice per day morning and night and will report back if I notice any changes.
Hey! Everyone who done this experiment please update us :(

Hey everyone!

So I know this update is LONG over due but I guess better late than never?

I tried to experiment with Babchi oil...and I honestly did not keep up with it, you had to sit in the sun for about 15 minutes but during the time the UV rays are at their peak...well being that I live where its not sunny all the time, it made it slightly difficult to do, as well as having class around the time I needed to sit in the sun so I ended up stopping it as soon as summer ended

I have also been very on and off again with ginger root however, I will say this...it WORKS....

BUT here's the caveat, I do not know how long it will take for each person's skin to pigment...

In all honesty, my skin still has yet to get to the skin color I want but it is freckling, granted I have a lot more skin to pigment than most people [1 arm and a quarter of my back :( ]

I've also noticed that my upper arm does pigment a lot quicker than my lower arm.  Like there are actual patches on my upper arm but then my lower arm just seems to be one shade darker.  

Maybe the area of where you want to pigment has something to do with how long it will take...my sister who has nothing wrong with her skin, decided she would try it just to make her arms tanner and it literally took maybe a week for her arms to become a nicer tan color :-/

Now some people may not have a large area to re-pigment, (and for those of you who just have a spot, stop freaking out) what I do is I will take a grater, grate a little bit of ginger root, then squeeze the ginger root juice out of the ginger pulp then throw away the pulp.  I will then take a clean make-up brush and just brush it on....wayyyy less time consuming then cutting a sliver of the ginger root and putting it on one area of your skin
Also I make fresh juice every time

So finally to end this comment b/c it's getting kind of long now....

JUST TRY IT...you have nothing to loose! The only thing I say is that you need to have patience for this but let's be real, there's not much to hyperpigment our skin with that is effective so just give it a few months and do it twice a day, more if you can....a few months is nothing to the feeling we will get when our skin is back to normal

Good luck and I will try to update more!
when you have put the ginger on your skin do you rinse it off? I'm really worried that I might have been doing it wrong :-(
Hey Ghana! I just cutting thin slices then applying the ginger right on the white areas. Im not rinse it off ?

Is this wrong? anybody?

BTW thank you lovely789 for the interesting post!

everybody keep this thread alive :)
yea, appreciate this thread.  for any tip, advice, or success story.  unfortunately the end of this month will mark 1 year of applying ginger root with zero improvement.

have cut back somewhat from when I first started.  but still do it quite frequently,  certainly enough that should have seen something, anything!  was hoping to see at least some freckling that some have reported.

oh well , its some what part of a routine for me now, will probably  apply in some fashion for ever.  or until  permanent make up  or plastic surgery.
kid22, Im sorry that it didn't  work out well for you :/ I have been using ginger rots for maybe 3 weeks, and I think it is to early to say if it works for me or not... but I will definitely give you all a update in a month or so.

hey. after 2 month of use. I will say that I got no result at all :(