Dermatology Expert Forum
Glans damaged permanently?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Glans damaged permanently?

I did something really stupid.

Because I wanted to remove the ugly "pearly penile papules" on my glans (glands), I started an "amateur" treatment
I found on the internet to remove them.

The "treatment" was to soak my glans (glands) in iodine tincture, so that the PPPs would dry out and I could "shrub off" the dried out PPPs. Because my PPPs
were not very big, also some of the surrounding skin got shrubbed.

I continued the "treatment" for about a month, until most of the PPPs had almost completely vanished.  

However, months later without applying any more iodine, my glans (glands) hurts, especially in the morning, and when showering, although my glans (glands) looks normal, but maybe a little bit dry.
By "hurts" I mean that it feels a bit the same as if you have an open wound on your finger, and rub it over a piece of cotton or make it wet.

Could you explain what happened to my glans (glands) after repeatedly soaking it in iodine, and is there any way to reverse the possible damage?

Thanks in advance.  
I don't think you need to worry about permanent damage to your penile skin.  Iodine can't do that.  it also can't permanently remove penile papules, which are normal, and which you should leave alone because they belong there.  The discomfort you feel now is no doubt caused by irritation plus anxiety.  Just leave the skin alone, and you should be fine.  If you still feel sore in 3 weeks, you can always see a doctor then.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, damage to my glans (glands) head skin was started.