Dermatology Expert Forum
Glans infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Glans infection

Iam 36 yrs of age. Around 8 yrs back, while sleeping just out of excitement, I thursted(rubbed) my glans (glands) penis against bed without the clothes on.Next day I got terrible itching (no bleeding) and rush to doctor and he prescribed me antiobiotics etc and I was ok in 7-10 days.

Subesquently whenever I used to masturbate softly(using shaft only), I used to get irritaion/itching/pain within the next day/two and i need to go to doctor. The symptoms were glans (glands) becoming black or sometimes glans (glands) skin appears to be cracked.The  doctors prescribe be antibiotic/antifungal(oral and/or topical with steriod) and i was ok within a few days. So this has been going on for last 8 yrs or so.

Now because of the above problem,I masturbate only once in a month or once in two months but whenever I do , i get the same itching/irritaion etc  and the glans (glands) become a bit black etc and I generally self medicate based on previous medications(Doxycycline 100mg and flucanalzole-150g and ebastine or dezloriod ,all three once a day) and I have been sucessful on few occasions.For self medication I avoid steriod creams until and unless the doctor precribe it.

1) How can I prevent the itching/pain/infection which is happening for last 8 yrs. It has become traumatic for me.If I do not masturbate nothing happens.If I masturbate(softly only using shaft) I know that I have to go to doctor, otherwise infection will spread on glans (glands) and it indeed spread.I do not know why glans (glands) become infected when I use only the shaft. Doctors only say it is balanitis .No problems while urinating.I wash  the area daily too and dry it up but still no help.My foreskin is ok and easily retractable.But yes my glans (glands) skin has vertical burrows or scars  developed after the incident 8 yrs back and I really regret that happening. Before the incident 8 yrs back, eveything was normal and Iuse to enjoy it. Iam sexually inactive till date.Recently I have used vaseline but still no help and still the same issue.

Welcome to the Dermatology Expert Forum!

If you are not circumcised, you might be experiencing relapses of Zoon balanitis -chronic, reactive, irritant mucositis (inflammation of genital mucous membrane). In such a case, circumcision is the therapy of choice.

If you are circumcised, meticulous genital hygiene, rich lubrication (to provide protection of skin and mucous membrane during friction), plus thoroughly washed hands might help in preventing itching, pain, irritation, etc.

Wishing You Optimal Health,
Dr. Jasmina Jankicevic
Hello Dr Jamina,

Hope you are fine. My question remains unanswered and Iam keen  for your offline diagnosis.