Glycolic Acid -Will my skin heal/ Is this normal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

To: Dermatology
Hello-
I am 28 years old female. My skin is usually normal/oily. I have no pre-existing allergies. I have recently familiarized myself with glycolic acid. Last month I went to a spa and the esthetician used 20% glycolic on me for 1 minute. I showed no allergic reaction from this treatment. In fact, it made my skin glow as well as improve the overall condition.

3 weeks ago I bought 5 Glytone acid peels ranging from 30%-70%. I tested the product 2 nights ago starting with 30% glycolic acid. First I used Cetaphil to cleanse my face, Second, I used pre treatment pad(offered by glytone) Contains alcohol. Third, I made sure my face was completely dried and started to use the 30% glycolic peel pad. I started from the right side of my face(went around eyes& mouth) and alternated to the left side of my face. I noticed as I was doing this that I contiually went over the facial areas the I had previously covered (the total amount of time spent/ tx left on was about 4 minutes) Although, keep in mind I did not do a clean sweep then let my skin rest for a full 4 mins. I gradually went over my skin for 4 mins. Lastly, as I started to see the right side of my face was developing small white formations(early signs of blisters) I put a ton of nuetralizer soulution on my face to take away the stinging and calm the facial surface area.
Later that night, I was in a panic! As I looked into the mirror I could see raised red bumps on most of the right side of my face. And to the side of my chin where previously there was 2 cystic acne spot about to rise to the surface have now turned into a merging of the 2 in the form of a early forming scab.

I took a ibuproferion, lathered as much emu-oil on my skin as possible. I then put cortizone cream on the right side of my face and a little to the left. (Then I read somewhere that cotizone cream thins the skin.) Washed that off, then put polysporin just about everywhere.

Next morning,
Face calmed down a little, Although still looked raw. I could see on the right side, the raised bumps were still there. It looked like contact dermatitis, (Which I have never had)

Day 2,
Can see that the left side of my face looks increasingly smooth and clear (no real harm was done there.) The right side, looks like the raised red bumps are healing (although, still raised and looks very irritated.

What I don't understand is how my right side could errupt into what appears to be an acnaeic/dermatitus condition. The left side was not effected in a way such as this.
And why has my chin (where the 2 cystic pimples) formed into a pre-merging scab.

Should I have not contually gone over my face for 4 mins. with the peel? Will my face scar. Will the erruption settled down?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Glycolic acid should be used under your dermatologist’s supervision. It is quite abrasive and may be irritating to those  with a more sensitive skin type. At this point, we can not exactly tell why one side of the face reacted differently. It appears that you have developed a dermatitic skin reaction more likely an allergic contact dermatitis. Have your dermatologist check on this so you may be prescribed the right medications. Avoid applying anything on the face without first informing your doctor.

i have brought 25% glycolic acid, in the past, and the plastic cap fell apart twice, it just would crumble, and i just brought another the other day and i opened it up and it was full to  the top of the jar, then the next day i looked at it and it seems to evaporate,  i have seen this before, it would just shrink in the jar, what is this, and how should i store it.