Glycolic Acid Peel

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Glycolic Acid Peel

I have had monthly 20% glycolic acid peels at a spa, and they greatly improved my skin; however, I recently went to a different esthetician at a different spa and she told me that glycolic acid peels accelerate skin aging because they strip the layers of the skin and that we have a predetermined amount of layers.  Is this true?  I've searched the Internet, and everything I read indicates that glycolic acid peels are beneficial.  
It is true that although glycolic acid peels have benefits but they are not without side effects. Day-to-day usage of glycolic acid peels is known to cause erythema, dryness and peeling of the skin. It can also cause increased sun sensitivity.
So they should not be done very frequently but only after your skin condition has been thoroughly assessed by your cosmetologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.