Dermatology Expert Forum
Got a cold sore that will not go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Got a cold sore that will not go away

Hi, I am a 30yr old male.  I got a cold sore (1st time) about four weeks ago.  It first formed on the corner of my lip.  It was a very bad outbrake, I had honey clusters forming on my lip and a couple a little white bumps form also on the lip area.  I went to the doctor and they told me that it was caused by the herpies (herpes) virus. No cultures or test were taking.  They procribed Acyclovir(400mg) I took that for a week and no improvement. Actually I began to get more outbrakes above the lip area.  I went back to a different doctor and he proscribe a higher dose of Acyclovir (800mg) and Bactroban.  The doctor mentioned that It might have been infected and I might have a case of Impetigo.  After a week past by the honey clusters stopped and began to heal, but i still have a scar are a mole like scar on the corner of my mouth and just above my lip.  I was referred to the Dermatologist Office and he prescribed me with Clindamycin Phoshate (used for acne.) Its been a week of taking this and the scares still remains.  The scares are fleshy and soft to the touch and painless. My question is what can be done to remove the scars.  I was curious if laser surgery is an option, please help.
I can't tell for sure whether what you had was a cold sore or impetigo, but either way, all that's left is inflamed tissue that will go away on its own if you leave it alone long enough.  This could take week,s but not forever.  I suggest you use the medicine your dermatologist gave you daily for up to 4 weeks, and if there's still something visible then, give the skin doctor another call.  But I doubt you have any residual infection or permanent scarring.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
DR. Rockoff,
Thanks for the reassurance It is very comforting to know that the scar will go away, but just resendly I did notice white bumps inside my mouth,in the tonsil regain.  I dont have any swelling or pain.  Do you know what this might be and what type of treatment should i start taking...
Thanks again
Herpes generally doesn't affect the inside of the mouth.  It could be a strep throat or it could be nothing at all.  You'll need to ask a doctor.

Dr. Rockoff
I had a bad cold sore on the coner of my mouth about a year ago.  It went away after a couple of weeks, but left this red mark behind.  I've tried alot of stuff, but it won't go away.  Will laser surgury help, or make the redness worse?
A related discussion, Cold Sore Scarring/Swelling/Residue was started.
A related discussion, cold sore left a mark was started.
A related discussion, 12mth cold sores was started.