Granuloma annulare
Hello there,
I read earlier posts about granuloma annulare, which I have. It has grown much worse since I had weight loss surgery -- the duodenal switch -- about 18 months ago. Where I used to have small patches on the back of my hands, it now covers my hands including fingers, and has moved up my arms as high as the elbows. It is unsightly and I am told is a chronic condition with no real cure or seriousness. However, my bumps become extremely itchy. Of course, I scratch them, sometimes absent-mindedly, and I then risk them becoming infected.
Several visits to my dermatologist have resulted in many drugs being prescribed, but no relief. At the same time, since weight loss surgery, I had had a chronic scalp irritationa and infection. I cannot help but think these two conditions are linked with the surgery and the dramatic loss of 160 pounds. My surgery is malabsorptive, but I am on many vitamins to counter-act this. I have recently added zinc gluconate and it seems to be helping a little. But I am still scratching.
My question is...although granula annulare may not be risky, is it not dangerous when it is itchy to the point of scratching and perhaps becoming infected? I am quite frustrated with my skin these days. Any help would be very much appreciated.