Gray line under fingernail
I am a white, 50 yr old woman who has recently developed a single, gray streak which begins at the cuticle and extends the length of the nail on my index finger. The line to the naked eye looks regular, it looks rather transparent and faint in color and is app. 2mm in width, no Hutch sign to the naked eye and the nail plate is not disfigured.  I have read that subungual melanoma is usually black-brown, and irregular. I have made an appointment with a derm but have had to wait almost six weeks ( in that time nothing has changed) ,but I am quite nervous and just wanted an opinion. I guess I want to know about how often SM is faint in color and less than 3mm.Thank you
Concerned
These dark lines can be due to can be due to longitudinal melanonychia(presence of a pigmented stripe, usually brown or black, along the length of the nail bed in darker-skinned individuals,splinter hemorrhages or Beau’s lines(they are horizontal lines of darkened cells and depression).Without examination, it is difficult confirming a diagnosis and so I would suggest a dermatologist’s evaluation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.