Groin discoloration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Groin discoloration

For as long as I can remember (ever since I was a kid) I've had some kind of weird discoloration on my groin.  It has never spread, and has always remained in the same place, right above and at the creases of my thighs and groin, along the edge of my pubic bush.  The skin is kind of brown, and it exhibits reduced sensation, kind of like it's too dry.  It doesn't noticeably itch.  I am just puzzled, because it has never gone away for years, and I have no idea what to do about it.

The skin in the regions you mention is normally dark as compared to skin elsewhere.

Do you have any other associated symptoms of itching, rash , etc.

It would not be advisable to scrub the area too hard as this would irritate the skin. You should try to avoid sweat collection in the areas, keep the areas clean, maintain good personal hygiene, wear lose comfortable clothes. Apply calamine lotion at the sites.

Consult a skin specialist for your complaints and discuss whether a demelanizing agent would help in your case. You could also discuss about microdermabrasion and whether it would help in your case.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Billy,

I have the same situation. Since I was a baby, the skin on my groin discoloured through diaper use, and has never gone away. I've scrubbed, bleached, lotioned, etc. Baby powder helps keep it from getting darker, but not by much. My doctor told me it was normal, and that it shouldn't affect me in anyway.

ya know, I've been searching, searching, and I keep getting the same darn thing..I to have discolor around my vageegee and out to my creases above inner thigh. I just noticed it and I know for sure it has not been there long(3 months max) I'm not obeast, nor do I have rolls to collect bacteria. I'm a sweater and going through puberty,(ok,ok people call it menopause, but I never put men on pause)but this is to much guys, I already have to deal with all this other stuff like hair growth on my face(i think it's coming from all that i'm losing on my scalp hehehe) so I just wanna know what the heck is going on down there? does anyone really know or does everyone just wanna link us to a place called buy my creams,or come visit our office we'll recommend u need to spend a lot, "how much do u make...well if someone has some good info I'd really love to hear your story..deena