Growth on arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Growth on arms

Hello:

I have posted much on the HIV, HIV ANXIETY SUPPORT FORUM, and ANXIETY forum.  I was tested for all STD'd, including HIV after 6 weeks from receiving oral sex.  About 4 weeks ago, I broke out in rashes on my arms and chest.  The ones on my chest have come and gone for years, but the ones on my arms were very pecuilar.  They first formed as bumps, turned redish, and I popped some of them and they healed with a crust on top.  Some of them appear as if hair has grown out of them, but it freaks me out, because now I have two on my right arm.  I also get burning sensations from time to time around my arms and neck and shoulder area.  Also in between my thighes.  I went to a determatologist a couple of weeks ago, and they wanted to take a sample to get a biopsy dowe, but due to money, I wasn't ready to do it yet.  Does anyone know what this might be or does it sound familiar?
Since you have mentioned that hair grows out of these small red bumps which have started appearing on the arms, it looks like folliculitis to me. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).
Please discuss this possibility with your doctors. They are right that a biopsy skin will help in diagnosis.
Till then, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I guess no one posts much in this forum?

Thanks.  I have been on Doxycycline Hyclic 100 MG for the past week, on a 14 day prescription.  So far, I haven't had any new growths.  I guess we will see if it clears everything up.  Would this be an effective treatment?
Can folliculitis have caused burning sensations as well?

Folliculitis usually presents as small bumps which are irritating and may itch but they do not have any burning sensation.  This type of symptom is common with shingles or herpes zoster.

I hope it helps. Regards.
What if I'm still having burning sensations in my arms mainly?  I don't think it's shingles, as I don't have what appears in many pictures.  Are there any bacterial infections that could possibly cause burning sensations?