Dermatology Expert Forum
HELP ME! Skin condition on my neck.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

HELP ME! Skin condition on my neck.

I have been to several dermatologists about a condition on my neck.  The slang term is "chicken skin." I have been told there isn't a cure for it. I was told that my case is the worst they have seen.  My skin on my neck looks exactly like raw chicken skin, with the bumps. It covers my entire neck and it's red all the time and it gets even redder when I am in the heat. I am so self-conscious of this because it is so disgusting looking. I have to wear high neck tops, I am very limited to what type of blouses I can wear. I notice people staring at my neck and you can tell they are wondering what is wrong with it.

I understand that there is no cure, but I was hoping maybe someone has used a prescription cream prescribed for something else and by some strange fluke, found that it would work for this. Would the presciption cream that is used for scars work on this? I am so desperate to find something to help me. I can't really do a lot of outside activities in the summer because the heat makes this even more noticeable and I am so self conscious of it. I just hope that you or someone out there can give me some suggestions. I have just started using Retin-A, but I don't think it is going to work. Could you also tell me the full medical term for this condition so I can do further research on it?

Thank you so much for any suggestions you might have.
I doubt that skin creams will make much difference, though Retin-A is worth a shot.  You might also consider asking a plastic surgeon whether a tightening procedure could be tried.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
In my original question I asked for you to give me the actual medical term for this condition so I can do further research. Could you please list it for me. Thank you.
I don't know.  It may be sun mottling (Poikiloderma of Civatte) or a genetic condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.  Perhaps you should ask the doctor who diagnosed you.

Dr. Rockoff