Dermatology Expert Forum
HPV on eye lids

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

HPV on eye lids

I was dx with HPV on my eye lids.  My eye lids itch and look unsightly.  I think it impares my blink.  My vision blurs then clears, for no reason- near and far vision.  Strangely- if I make a circle with my thumb and index finger and then look through the tunnel produced, my vision will clear, for the near vision.

I am currently using Alocril 2% eye drops and artificial tears.  I have seen 2 Opthalmologists who concur.  Nothing can be done.  If I have them removed they say the HPV will recur and cause more to erupt.  I evidently have a lot of tiny warts- They said even more was erupting- inside my eyelids, as well as outer lids & on the eyelash line.  They say my vision is corrected appropriately with my glasses so they have no suggestions.  I can not read more than a few pages before my eyes hurt and blur.

I am 58, healthy otherwise, using HRT and taking multivitamins and 500 mg vit E.  I have also tried oral antihistamines to no avail. I noticed this about 3 years ago & the blurring started about the same time.  My eyes also look bloodshot.  I probably contracted this virus in my job.  I am a midwife and have had amniotic fluid splash, and work with women who have cervical HPV.  I have never been dx having this HPV cervically and had a hysterectomy for fibroids 10 yrs ago.

Any suggestions for removing the warts from my eye lids?  The Opthalmologist said they could possibly remove some warts on the outer eye with a laser but it would scar and possibley droop the lid and the HBV may come more than ever.  It does not sound good to me.  Cosmetically- it looks bad.  I work with the public and need to look good professionally, as well as personally.  I need good vision and the blurring really bothers me, too.  I think there is a connection between the HPV and the blurring of vision.
Have you heard of HPV on the eye lids?  Any research on this particular location of HPV?  Any luck with removing them on the eye lids?

I would really appreciate suggestions or referrals.  Thank you.
I am deeply of your diagnosis.  Skin tags are common on the lids, but I have never seen warts there.  Either skin tags or warts affect only the skin's epidermis.  They do not penetrate to the inside of the lid.  Neither can possiblyu cause blurred vision (unless you rub your eyes a lot because the bumps disturb you, which can make vision blurry.)

If you want the bumps removed, please see a skin doctor.  Burning them off should be simple and safe.  It most certainly does not result in eyelid droop.  As to the blurred vision, I suggest another ophthalmologic opinion if the symptoms persist after you have the bumps removed.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Eye warts was started.
A related discussion, Is it possible that the HPV could grow on the eyelids? was started.
A related discussion, eye warts was started.