HSV or Shingles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

HSV or Shingles

On Tuesday I noticed a rash on my stomach about two inches below my belly button that is about two inches long and an inch and a half wide.  It seems to stop exactly at my mid-line and is only on the right side.  I went to my GP and he said its shingles.  I am skeptical however because I had sex with a new girl on Sunday night.  She said she was clean and recently checked (I asked) and we used a condom.  The thing is she was grinding on me hard enough that I remember feeling chaffed on my groin area but thought nothing of it at the time.  I persisted with my doctor and he swabbed the area and decided to have it type tested (HSV-1, HSV-2, or Shingles).  The office called back today and said the test did not show anything as in any type of herpes, I guess the culture was not sufficient?  My doc insisted that he has seen plenty of herpes and that hes sure it is shingles.  I guess I would like a dermatologist opinion before on concede to the fact that I'm clean.
I agree with your doctor as chances are there that this rash is due to shingles. Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which is the virus that causes chickenpox. Shingles occurs in people who have had chickenpox and represents a reactivation of the dormant varicella-zoster virus. The first sign is usually a tingling feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dots on the side of the trunk or face. The rash develops into small, fluid-filled blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within several days.

If you are having such symptoms, then shingles which is a viral disease should be evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The lesion seems to be getting better.  Ive kept a very close eye on my genitals for any appearance of further lesions but have found nothing.  The rash has seemed to scab/crust over and is starting to peel like a sunburn.  Is it too late to see a dermatologist?  Someone also mentioned a type specific igg blood test I could do?  Im still hanging on my GP's position to just relax that he is 100% sure that its shingles but I'm having a hard time being at peace with it.  I'd like to believe him without a doubt but what a horrible mistake it would be to accidentally pass it on when i could have done something further to be sure.
Shingles being a viral illness, the antibodies test will show the presence of the virus. However shingles is not contagious and cannot cause shingles in other people but can cause chicken pox in individuals who have not had chicken pox earlier.