Hair Color and Hair Loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hair Color and Hair Loss

Hello All~
Does permanent hair color cause hair to fall out? I know it can break it off but does it cause hair to actually fall out????
Please help!
Anybody know???
Hair dye can cause allergic reaction and can cause hair to fall off. Other causes could be due to stress, fungal infections, alopecia aereata, hormonal imbalance (overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities),malnutrition, telogen effluvium and sebum plugs on skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I had highlights for years, then the stylist started coloring and highlighting.  I was have a lot of hair fall, the stylist was commenting on it always(every 4 weeks I was there for two more years).  My hair hurt to move it, then itching an lymph notes started swelling and bumps on my head(and the lymph notes on top of my head).  Last year I thought it might be the hair color.   The dermatologist did not think so, suggested stop using so many  hair products. Did not color for several months, lots of gray hair starting to come back in...even little short ones...then Salon colored again ....I recently had a stronger reation, rash on forhead and itching like crazy, scalp tightness, hair fall again...
I think you can have an allergic reaction from hair color which leads to delayed hair fall ..at the scalp... I am not a doctor, but this has been my experience...
through research it looks as though it might be the PPD in hair color... which I was using to cover gray