Dermatology Expert Forum
Hair Loss and Alcohol Consumption/Liver Problems

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I have lost about 60% of my hair within the last 4 months and nothing seems to be growing back. I've had a lot of bloodwork done and all seems normal. Still waiting for my ANA results. I was wondering if increased alcohol consumption or liver problems will cause hair to fall out. Since I have been losing this hair I have been extremely depressed and have been drinking more than I should because of it. Thanks for any info you might have. I've searched the internet regarding this connection but as of yet have not found anything.

Misha
Misha:

I don't know of an alcohol-hair loss connection either.  It sounds as though what you have might be alopecia areata.  This may be stress-related, though the cause is unknown.  First, however, you need definitive diagnosis, so you can learn what the outlook is.  If you have not already done so, I recommend you see a dermatologist as soon as you can.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm on the same ship too,
\my story was, I had been losing hair for no reason, then I started to get bad vision, like floaters, then I even got gangivitis, and eventually, my skin is now getting really dry and scales.
Hi Misha,
Yes, a sick liver will make hair fall out.  The two are connected, and hair is usually an indicator of the health of your liver and kidneys.  You should definitely take milk thistle. It will rebuild the walls of your liver.
Are you getting enough vitamins?  B vitamins, inositol, copper, iodine, biotin, fenugreek, shen min, horsetail rush extract...these are specifically for hair.  
If you're searching online, type in keywords together like 'hair loss and liver,' 'hair loss and herbs.'
Good luck :)