Dermatology Expert Forum
Hair falling out!!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hair falling out!!

I am 23 yr. old female, and i am loosing my hair.  I have noticed my hair has got thinner, and i am almost going bald frontally. I had very thick black hair but now i am afraid even to wash it.  Everyday i loose a whole lot of hair, and i have noticed the hair comes out with the follicle.  I have been in US. almost seven years; i didnt have any hair problems until a year ago. Couple of months ago i had a minor surgery done for fibrodomena..a benign cyst in the breast.  But i have been having hair loss problems even before that.  I don't know what to do.  My hair is the most important part of the body for me.  None of my paren't faily have a history with balding...so i think i can rule out the possibility of baldness being heriditary. I have gotten a thyroid test done but the doctor says the results are normal.  I also have brittle nails, and i have gained 10lbs in the last couple of months.  I don't know if hair loss at this age is a common; since i read somewhere that hair loss occurs in late 20's...I have also tried taking vitamins, and calcium and more iron..just to notice any diffrence; but nothing has worked yet.

please i need some advice, if there are other possibilites besides the one ..i 've been tested for.
It's possible that the surgery you had a couple of months ago, while not serious, upset your body's rhythm so you're losing extra hair for a while.  The same thing happens after childbirth, sudden weight loss, or high fever.  Hair loss can be dramatic, but it is reversible over a period of months.  For diagnosis and reassurance, I think you ought to see a dermatologist.  But you will probably be OK.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm 19 years old and I have always hd the thickest of hair, but within the last few monthes me hair has been falling out from the follicle like crazy. I don't know why. I thought maybe it was from dyeing my hair, but I have been doing that for years and nothing has ever happened. I am clueless as to the problem. Please help.