Hair itchiness and white things stuck to hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I've had this problem with my hair for almost a year now. My head is ALWAYS SO itchy and it drives me nuts. NOTHING works- i use a LOT of hair products but I dont think it's all from that. Not only do I have a scalp itchiness problem but I also have these with things stuck to my hair. It's so weird, I panicked for like a week thinking it was head lice so I went out and boucht one of those Nit combs and used it on my hair. ALL those white oval shaped things came out, but no lice??? I'm so confused. After about three days after I combed, the white things came back. I don't understand- I fit was head lice both my son AND my husband AND everyone at my work would hair it (due to hairbrushes and headsets). I just dont get it, Ive looked up every scalp thing on the internet and NOTHING sounds like this white stuff on my hair but head lice- but I've checked so many times. PLEAASSSSE HELP!!!

This discussion is related to itchy scalp.
Tags: hair, head
Avatar_dr_f_tn

One differential for this is seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis may present as fine greasy whitish to yellowish scales more commonly known as dandruff. The scalp may be itchy. The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is yet unknown although a yeast infection has been implicated. There seems to be no genetic factor involved however environment and stress have been known to trigger flares.

It is best to have this assessed by a dermatologist.Seborrheic dermatitis may persist and may be recurrent. Only frequent and vigorous shampooing may be able to control the condition. Medicated shampoos are also helpful.

Do you have skin rash in other parts of the body such as the ears, chest, knees and elbows?
no i dont- i have a rash on my stomache but i think its because im allergic to the metal on my belt. so what do i do??? how do i get rid of this??? another thing is if my hair falls out or i accidently pull it out with my elastic- it pulls out RIGHT FROM THE ROOT and has a clear substance or white substace attached-- any connection??
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Scalp disease may be associated with some degree of hair loss. Seborrheic dermatitis may be associated with a diffuse and less noticeable loss of hair and this may be considered in your case. Managing the underlying scalp disease will most likely help solve this problem with the hair condition.

Tinea capitis which is a fungal infection on the other hand appears as patchy hair loss associated with red plaques over the scalp. This is not likely your case.

I suggest that you seek consult with a dermatologist. Seborrheic dermatitis appears to be due to overactive sebaceous or oil glands. This attached white substance in your hair may actually be oil or sebum.

Have you had this assessed by a physician?
no i havent yet.
I have this same thing (a waxy substance attached to the end of my
hair when I pull it out.   Sounds crazy but I end up pulling it out because it is so painful (it feels like a sliver in my head), These waxy substances keep growing and get bigger unless I pull them out   I notice that my scalp is oily around the area that gets actually hot and causes raised bumps on my head.  It comes on without warning (never after stress... I'm basically a stress-free person).  Sometimes my scalp itches terribly.  I feel this is the same thing but the symptoms are different.  I have Graves Disease (over active thyroid). The only time I have not had this in 35 years is right after I took the radio active cocktail for Graves Disease.  I am now on Synthroid as a replacement drug.  The doctor has checked and there was no infection or fungas associated with the hair or bulb at the end of the hair.  I also have diabetes.   When I use a hair dryer, I can tell where the flareups will start soon because it feels as if my head is full of wax (it burns where these spots are when heat is applied).  I read that there is a condition where women (usually intelligent women) pull their hair and then are seen analyzing what they pulled.  This is described as a manic disorder).  I do have an extremely high IQ but I'm looking at the hair because I am examining the end bulbs and their size and depth.  They often have a black dot on the end of them.  I always thought the pain was the white waxy bulb pushing out of my scalp.  Often 2 hairs appear to be coming out of the same hair shaft and the white waxy bulbs are stuck to one another.  I do not want to pull my hair because it causes bald spots... I just want the pain to go away.  Help!.   I know it is not my imagination because these areas will get warm and raise into bumps.  The bumps are these enlarged heat follicles I describe).  If I pull out all the hair in that one area, the swelling goes down.  What is going on?  I will try washing vigorously and more often with Nizoral Shampoo.  
i have this problem rite now, please if you know wat it is let me know!!! really puzzeling!!!
I have had this issue described above by g123itisme, My solution has been to use tweasers and remove the hair.  I use no hair poroducts, I use anti dandruf shampoo (I live in the middle east very dry).  I resort to pullign the hairs out in the local area and using alcahol (alcohol) to clean the area. as I have had this turn into a infection and have had to have it burned out.  I feel for the hairs on the back of my head that hurt and yank them. My problem is that I never have this when i'm able to go to a doctor. It moces around my head and is always onthe back so it is hard to see. any one I ask thinks I"m crazy. what I have noticed is that the area that is is present in was a dry area and had flacking prior to the hair issue. I believe that it is a cloged pore that is at teh base of a hair folical. Thus it is oil that is backing up and causign the swelling and pain follows. It would be nice to have a doctor or durmatologist give an answer or other that have had the issue. This is not a new condition to me I have had it for anout 8 years and it acts up about every three month to once a year.

RJ
hey did you find out what to do for hair condition you discribed????...please let me know:]
I have trichotillomania, a case where I pull out my hair.  Often times, when I pull out hair (more often shorter hair) there will be a clear-white oval attached to the hair near the small follicle bulb at the end of the hair.  It feels ever so slightly damp.  What is this?
Vogel's Neem Oil shampoo is good for various bugs in hair. Justagirl's description sounds to me like scabies mites in scalp. That is why they are not caught in a nit comb, they are burrowed in the scalp. That scabies could not be in scalp and face is a myth springing from the fact that permethrin is too strong to be applied there. Use pure virgin neem oil instead.
Please read my posts regarding Morgellons. These are common symptoms and the disease is spreading and still not recognized. 300k in world have this. I believe this disease is covered up because it is due to biotechnology, and the ramifications will affect certain corporations drastically, as well as the US agricultural department.

To take away the itch, I washed my hair/soaked in borax  and that helps. also denorex shampoo weekly, and pepper oils dropped in shampoo. I use coconut oil shampoos, and body oils. I scrub head often in salts. DO you have any pimples at the base of your skull that feel like mosquito bites? another sign. theres much  more to this. It is a systemic infection, get treated right away if you think you have it or you can wind up like those horrid pictures others posted who did not have treatment. SO much more for you to do. Drink lemon water with peeled skin, and add cayenne pepper, and slight agave syrup or honey for sweetener. This is a systemic infection, and that mixture supposedly helps with the biofilm this disease creates inside our bodies, and on our skin. avoid sugar. avoid stress(good luck with that one)
I am suffering greatly and everyday is a struggle.. I am making an effort to inform people because most are in the dark, and if we do not make this seriously public we will suffer continually.

Thankfully, some doctors are studying this now.. It took a few compassionate doctors in this entire world to really look into deeper magnifications. It was previously dismissed as textile fibers and patients were DX as delusional. Be careful what doctor you go to because that DX is not good and most docs are not aware of this disease. Join support groups and they will help you.

research Randy Wymore at Oklahoma University through the Charles Holman Foundation. It is believed that this disease may stem from an old disease, but may have been genetically altered with a parasite, a virus, a bacteria, fungus, and other unidentified fibers that do not match any DNA database. It is theorized that this affliction was created for our food supply using GMO(genetically modified organisms for agriculture called agribacteria, and also related to chemtrails, and H.A.A.R.P. technology. They are messing with our universe and no one knows. It is also believed that Cell phones and other electronic devices may play a role in this disease - clifford carnicom research. There are many theories, but we need public recognition to force money towards research.
Vanessa,

I have the EXACT same thing you describe. It sounds so weird to finally hear someone else describe the same issue I have had for about 15 years. I deal with the same thing daily...have you found anything out as to what it is or what helps to treat it?

hi i have the same white things in my hair my head is itchy and my hair is falling out what should i do can people catch it
I also have this issue. B/M/36 have been suffering from this since I was 18. I pull these hairs from my groin constantly. But until they come out of the skin where I can grab them w/ tweezers, I scratch constantly. Please somebody help... as soon as I pull a hair with the clear waxy substance, RELIEF!!! I hate this I pull 2 or 3 yesterday please help. What is it.
I have the same thing, got it after having sex.  Started on my scrotum and worked its way to my scalp and eye areas.  I believe this is caused by the Demodex mite.  I am currently trying natural remedies since nothing from the pharmacies have worked.  There have been many reported success from Neem Oil, Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Orange Oil, Borax, Alcohol, and Sulfur mixes...   I also read that Mustard Powder may be used to kill the mites, however you need to dilute it in water and be careful how much you use, it can burn your skin very easily.  Google the Demodex mite, the results will frighten you.  But what's more frightening is that western doctors will not acknowledge this as a real problem.  They are CLUELESS.
It started with me too right after a sexual encounter.  the best thing you can do for your sanity is go online and purchase a handheld USB microscope.  get one thats 400x power.   then sit with your computer at different times a day. they seem to be more active in the evening.    every doctor i went to including dermo  looked at me like i was nuts or the things i mention "happened in third world"   well in case you havnt noticed we kinda are close...our medical system is way behind...china is studying this issue seriously...

the one question i have though is: Do you notice tiny flies?  after you get scope note the things on skin and face and scalp.  I thought dernodex at first but as it turns out, its a fly myiasis due to a fungus gnat (think fruit fly)  there is a great researcher at Uni of British columbia studying this in connection to Morgellens    the red and blue fibers>?  they are the 2 veins the flies have.   here is 2 links.  one to the research in BC then my blog with photos of whats really on my skin.  you cannot see it other than my skin has some pimples with no head. and my bumpy scalp...  

http://nodnacontrol.blogspot.com/2009/05/sciara-and-problems-of-sex.html#comment-form_3061300235687808064

http://truthaboutflies.blogspot.com/2012/07/this-is-not-in-my-head-well-actually-it.html
I'm a 31 year old male.  I have shorter hairs that grow beside normal hairs.  These hairs are extremely itchy at times...so itchy that I must immediately pluck or I'll go crazy.  These hairs have less pigmant and have a CLEAR or WHITE BULB at the base.  Maybe the longer period the hair grows, the more white the bulb at the bottom gets; idk.  Sometimes there is a WHITE RESIDUE that comes out when I pluck.  The residue does not ooze out.  It's just a soft substance that surrounds the bulb.

They are mostly located around my pubic region.  I've plucked a few from my nose, but in the nose, the hair is regular length and has normal pigment (black).  ..A few from my nipples and arms, legs as well.  The pubic ones really drive me crazy.  The nose ones - it's just like an intense itch in my nose, near the nostral opening.  I can pluck those with my fingers.  On legs, arms and chest, it feels like a msiquito bite.  In all cases, the itch stops when plucked.  

They are harder to pluck than normal hairs, but once gone, RELIEF!!!!  I have to use a clean, sanitized pair of pliars and pull on the hair, sometimes for a minute.  Then the hair with the enlarged bulb pops out....and sigh.  I have been searching off and on for a month, trying to find an answer online, to what this is.  I've learned that you gotta be very specific when talking about hair and skin disorders.  I've looked at pictures of hair follicles and read different blogs.  This blog seems to be the closest.  I've only had them for about a year.  It's so strange.  This is NOT an ingrown hair.  This is NOT a pimple.  It DOES NOT GO AWAY BY ITSELF.  In fact, it seems to be spreading, very slowly.  :''''(

I also have had pilimultigemini in some places, only for about a year or so.  That is something else...where more than one hair follicle grows in a single shaft...not painful...just extremely strange and weird and gross....and doctors don't know what causes it!  You'd think I had radiation poisoning or something! lol  I freaked out when I first noticed it.  Soon after, is when the bulb thing started happening.

I can't tell you how how itchy that clear or white bulb thing is, at the base of the hair and the tremendous relief I experience when I pluck one of those hairs.  My entire nervous system is stressed, then is relaxed after plucking. lmao  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and it's like GET THAT HAIR OUT NOW!!!!  I have no idea what it is.  I have to find out what it is and make it stop before I go crazy.  This is so stressful and very embarassing.

I can live with my nose itching from time to time, but the pubic hairs...no way.  I might buy this hand held laser electrolocis thing I saw on tv and get rid of all my pubic hair.  It MIGHT be the only solution to my problems.  I'd like to consult with a dermatologist, before I go hair-free.  
After being bitten by some type of insect in my sleep, (five and a half years ago), my hair changed from baby-fine, soft and wavy to the consistency of wire or even pubic hair. I also find little white hair-like things in my hair that are barbed on one end and tapered at the other.  When I first got bit I also started finding what looked like "balls of white lint" in my hair. In the middle however some of the hairs were black or red. My hair also comes out so easily. It comes out by the white bulb which looks very elongated and then the hair right after the bulb is red, like it's blood-filled when you hold it up to the light. Each individual hair shaft is uneven, thick in one part, then another inch thin, then another inch thick and so on. I also find these white hairs and long black hairs (again with the long irregular bulbs, followed by a bit of reddish hair  that looks like it's filled with blood) coming out of my rectum, after intense itching. My hair is a wild mess that is so tangled that I have to wear a hat! I also find hairs tied in "literal knots" several times a day. It is now also effecting my muscles and/or nerves, as I'm beginning to get very weak. When I push my Mom's wheelchair I'm in severe pain for hours afterward. I also feel very very weak. This condition worsened after I received a cortisone steroid shot. I found out after that the worse thing you can do is take a cortisone shot if you have or suspect you might have some sort of parasitic or fungal infestation. I'm getting sicker and weaker by the day. I'm having TROUBLE BREATHING and some days weakness that causes me to have trouble walking. I've been to about 40 doctors in the last 5 years with ZERO RESULTS!!!  I (and my Mom who is dependent on me), would appreciate any help or suggestions.  Thank you very much.  Sincerely, D.S.
Have you found out anymore info about the tiny fruit flies? are you saying they are in you and they hatch out and fly. i know i sound dumb right now. i really need your help, what you are saying is going on with me right now. my head dont really itch but it just feels like my hair moves and pulls tight so if i grab right where this is happening and pull until i find the right hair thats doing it and pull that one out it feels so good to get it out and it stops until another does it.  my skin itches more... i never see anything but certain times when i look around i see tiny black specs flying around infront of my eyes but i go to a mirror to see if i see anything and i never do but its still going on . sometimes when i pull my hair it pops and feels wet and that stings.  if someone is near me when i do this like siting or laying with my husband they feel it to and it stings them. my hair falls out really bad by itself. sometimes theres lint looking things in my hair at first i thought it came off my blankets or clothes or something like that. i just know this is driving me crazy and it makes my husband mad because im always going around pulling my hair out and i ve had bald spots before.  can people get this from me?? im worried about that too.  i have 2 kids.. i really need to know whats going on and how to make this go away .....  im desperate.. i need your help...
Wow for 20 years I have had this same exact thing/feeling.  I have been paralized in fear thinking I had head lice.  I asked my mom when I was in 8th grade finally and showed her several hairs I had pulled out that had the large/long white wetish thing with the black bulb on the end that I thought was full of blood.  She dismissed it and I always for 20 years until this day thought it was lice.  I now know it is not.  I have seen a video on popthatpimple.com of a beard hair being plucked.  My hairs, head, eyebrows, leg and pubic all have the same thing on the ends when I pluck them out.  the end is very sticky almost like suction cups so I figured it was some kind of parasite or lice.  I am so glad that I am not the only person.  I'm not sure if it is just normal hair follicles or if there is really something there.  I have the same feelings you all describe.  If somone gets a diganosis I would love to hear it.  I don't know who to see, a dr a dermatologist or what?  I tend to think it is just our normal follicles because I looked at photos tonight of follicle plugs and it is exactly what the ends of my hairs look like.  I'm thinking we might all have trichotilomania.  Perhaps it is the compuslive disorder.  But how does that explain the itching and the feeling of relief/release when you pull it out?  

But seriously... I am so thankful for finding this and finding you all.  I have depression and anxiety that has been magnified by this fear that I had a mite or parasite or lice for 20 years.  I have a bald spot becuase I tend to pull in one location.  I'm also sad because I thought when I finally sought treatment, then the lice I thought I was living with would go away and I would no longer pull out my hair.  If it turns out I don't have anything how am I going to stop and make these itchy,need to pull feelings go away?  UGH!
I have had little white, hard bumps on my scalp for over a year. I have high blood pressure also and my hair has been falling out for a year. I don't have much hair left now and I'm going to buy a wig. My doctor has changed my blood pressure medication a couple of times but it hasn't helped. I would like to find out why this is happening to me. Could it be stress or an allergy?  I also read that people with diabetes can get this. I am taking biotine, silica, B vitamins, probiotics. Nothing has helped. I am 41 and scared I could have something wrong with me. The doctors pretty much push me out the door. Sometimes my pressure falls so low I pass out. I am fed up with all of it and am just going to buy a wig. Doctors now a days don't seem to care if none of the things they try work.y hair has always been my pride and joy and now I cry every time I brush my hair, I get handfuls:(. If anyone has an idea could you help me?
People, that waxy clearish thing attached to your hair with the little black dot is NORMAL!  Everyone has them in all locations!!!!  Eyebrows, scalp, lashes, legs, pubics, etc.  This is how hair stays in place.  It's "glue" in a way.  Stop worrying about it.  You are NORMAL.  There is nothing wrong with you.  I am a pediatrician, if that makes you feel any better.  

Go on with your lives.  You DON'T have bugs ;)
Go for Pranayama. I am also suffering with this and I think this is the last option I have. It may take time but will surely give proper results with 100 percent cure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2c5jm2tefw
I have this problem, my dad told me that when he was my age he had the same issue and that he used the core of walnuts to get rid of it. I still haven't tried it out yet cause wallnut season is over so Im gonna have to wait till next spring.
I have this problem as well along with many other physical problems my doctors are trying to figure out. We are the expert when it comes to our bodies, I believe I have an autoimmune disease, the docs have yet to come to this conclusion as they are working their way down the chain of likely causes.  But thank goodness for google! right?...After setting in the tub for a few minutes I can scratch off layers of this waxy substance from almost every part of my body.  I do have irregular batches of skin in some places but my skin has changed a lot over the last 10 years & not just natural aging. Some little pumps are painful to touch.  I believe it's collagen.. over production of it, & I'm also very itchy at times.  I just had sinus surgery and felt better for a few days now the headaches are back, high BP ect.  I feel horrible!
I suffer from this too. It's becoming more of an emotional/mental issue now. I think I'm crazy as does my family. I can't work. People around me make me start itching again. I can't tell if I exposed something to them and they re-exposed me...There's a guy I'm seeing but I can't get close to him. My nose immediately starts tickling and crawling in my nostrils after kissing. I can't sleep in the same bed with him. When I don't see him, I'm much better. It's driving me crazy. We have these drain flies or fungus gnats where I stay. I had them at the basement I used to rent. Maybe myiasis? I wish I knew. I'll know if the bugs are coming from me when I move again, for sure. I've lost a lot of weight without trying. Loss of appetite. Sometimes nausea after eating...depressed to say the least. I feel crawling but nothing is there. Black roots on plucked facial hairs. Demodex? Doctors are no help. They say I'm fine. Use Eucerin for eczema! There are times when I coat my body in vaseline cocoa butter oil gel and the crawling will cease for a few days but I almost immediately develop sinus congestion and a cough. It's like whatever is external went internal. Ears too. I had to cut my dreadlocks because I thought it was lice like most people did. Black and white specks were falling from me, popping off and landing on my cell phone screen and tablet. Cutting my hair reduced this. Now I only see black specks in my sheets. what is it???!!!!!
how do i get rid of this 7027421692 plrease call me
Has anyone contacted you?
Please Help! I've had this problem for about 7 to 8 Mo.s now. One morning I was taking a shower and normally when I condition I run a comb through my hair no problem.this particular morning the comb wouldn't budge. My hair felt totally matted.after a few aggressive washes I noticed what felt like slime washing off. When my hair is dry and I comb through it, these white almost fiber like things come off my hair and scalp.  I also have sores on my head that are really painful even when brushing.then I've also been experiencing this on my eyelashes n eyebrows, these white scaly things come out of the hair where my lashes are and I have small bumps along my eye line. Can anyone help?
Yes, By accident, I found that 3% hydrogen peroxide left on overnight REALLY HELPS ALOT. I think it stops the bumps that cause itch from manifesting.
-It won't stop the lint/fiber things from being there, But it'll give you alot of relief.

I am 15 and recently my hair has randomly started to become really itchy and dandruffy, then suddenly stop, then suddenly start again, like every 2 weeks... it's really weird. Also I have the black dot and waxy stuff at the tip of my hair.... I was so worried I had lice
You are not alone. It sounds like natural sebum build up on the end of your hair follicles, which I've been told can be really itchy. I recommend going to a Hairforce clinic if you are concerned about having head lice, then can see  if you have them or not, then they comb through and check for eggs. Check for your nearest clinic. I went to one and the woman was so so helpful and helped me realise I've not got head lice after 20 years of worry myself, whatever has happened in the past, it is now natural white round balls of sebum right on the end of the hair follicle making my head itchy. The lice eggs are teardrop shaped, greyish when placed on a tissue and become longer when they lice hatches. Live lice are tiny as babies so they can be easily missed. My head still itched but I know the cause is not lice now so I can relax. The depression and shame that can come with this, and the isolation is terrible so please don't give up hope of resolving this. You can do it!
one explanation: http://www.morgellonsuk.org.uk/micromyiasis.htm

but whatever it is....

I have tried everything... I am all about natural, so this might be a surprise, but what seemed to work the best for me and was the easiest: 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach in a bathtub of comfortably hot, but not too hot, water. Soak body fully, hair and scalp under water, for 20 minutes. Don't get it in your eyes, but do try to soak your face a bit with your eyes closed. Take a shower with natural soap, no perfumes, afterwards. Always rince very well. Use a blowdryer to dry yourself, no towels--they love towels. Step into your slippers or flip flops, but not on the floor when you get out of the shower. Stop using shampoo and conditioner, and use regular, mild all natural soap. (You can try teatree soap for a couple of washes, between the bleach baths, but don't overdo it with this either.) Do the bleach bath once. In the meantime, shower, and vacuum everyday and wipe down surfaces of your home, and at work and vacuum car regularly. It gets in clothes, so laundry needs to be treated. 1 cup vinegar, some laundry soap you can handle, not too harsh since the skin is being taxed already, or borax is good, soak laundry in hot water for one hour minimum. Dry extra time on high heat. Put in air-tight, sealed plastic bags. Shower and change clothes everyday. Throw away clothes, towels or blankets that are heavily infested, or be ready to wash them several times before they are free of these things. Keep your home dehumidified. An air filter also helps. Do this until you have no more symptoms for a good month--for as long as it takes. If you notice symptoms, start all again right away. Try to accept that this might be a new way of life. Not easy, but I had to. This, these little white things, like a fiber of a thread or tiny hair a milimeter or three long, and little white dots about the size of a grain of salt, that might at some point in their development, bite or bore into the skin leaving itchy red bumps, need to be treated like bird mites, scabies, bed bugs, parasites, whatever they are, collembola, slime mold, don't know yet, and the doctors don't want to know either. But--VERY IMPORTANT--don't use chemicals or pesticides. Use a spray mix of about 15 drops of essential oil of orange and about 10 drops of cedar essential oil to spray around the house after you vacuum. There are many other essential oils they don't like either, but this mix works. Try not to overtax your liver and kidneys with extra supplements, take only what is abolutely necessary until you start to improve. I try not to do the bleach too often, if it's the first time, you should likely take one bath, wait a few days, then take another. You must soak all brushes and combs regularly in the bleach water mix also, and same washing method for all scarves, hats, coats, everything you wear. Pray, meditate, exercise, or do something to relax yourself daily. Believe in yourself!! You can and will get beyond this!!! Eat healthy, stay away from chemicals, alcohol, sugar, yeasts. Get outside for fresh air a lot. Get support from understanding family members. Not everyone is affected, but those with weakened immune systems, so keep your immune systems healthy. It/they will go away if you keep this up. You are not alone. I thank all the people who have posted in many forums. Now I'm sharing what worked for me. Remember the nature of healing is up and down. This is a slow process, months to years, so be patient and don't get down if you think it has finally been resolved and it comes back again. Hormones related to stress attract these things. That is the nature of this thing, but eventually the periods between them coming back get longer and when they reappear, they are not as strong, but YOU are!  Working at keeping yourself happy isn't such a bad thing!
Demodex mite is not an invader. It's a normal occurrence to have them.
To "Confused Girl" and "ReallyFedUp," you need to be looking in the Morgellons forums for help. You have the symptoms. The lint and fibers is a dead giveaway for this disease. It is not a surface condition but a systemic one.
morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com or look on Wolfe's site morgellonsaid.wordpress.com
Demodex brevis.  Aka: Rosacea.  Aka:  demodex folliculorum
Demodex folliculorum is a species of face mite. D. folliculorum is one of the parasitic/commensal face mites that occur on people.  Everyone has these ectoparasites living on them, however some have overpopulation of these critters due to a compromised immune system.  New studies have associated rosacea to over population of these demodex mites.  Most doctors will look at you like your crazy when you ask for ivermectin,, but you can google and find a online pharmacy (which are usually in India) which you can get without a prescription.  I did borax and peroxide baths until i found permethrin 10% (dog dip I purchased on amazon which I diluted to 5%), and ivermectin x 2 doses.  My skin is much better now, but I struggled with this for over 5 years.  The white thing at the end of the hair you pull is the mite...it's really creepy, right.  I'm an RN and can tell you don't waste your time and feelings trying to get a doctor to treat you for this condition....  Anyway, google the little bit of the above information I shared and you all will find much better explanations than mine.  Oh yeah, the blue/white fuzz in your brush that looks like dryer lint is what the mites look like after they die.  Hope I was able to help someone.   But please, google it and you will find many sources about this.
Demodex folliculorum is a species of face mite. D. folliculorum is one of the parasiticl face mites that occur on people.  Everyone has these ectoparasites living on them, however some have overpopulation of these critters due to a compromised immune system.  New studies have associated rosacea to over population of these demodex mites.  Most doctors will look at you like your crazy when you ask for ivermectin,, but you can google and find a online pharmacy (which are usually in India) which you can get without a prescription.  I did borax and peroxide baths until i found permethrin 10% (dog dip I purchased on amazon which I diluted to 5%), and ivermectin x 2 doses.  My skin is much better now, but I struggled with this for over 5 years.  The white thing at the end of the hair you pull is the mite...it's really creepy, right.  I'm an RN and can tell you don't waste your time and feelings trying to get a doctor to treat you for this condition....  Anyway, google the little bit of the above information I shared and you all will find much better explanations than mine.  Oh yeah, the blue/white fuzz in your brush that looks like dryer lint is what the mites look like after they die.  Hope I was able to help someone.   But please, google it and you will find many sources about this.
THE WAXY END OF THE HAIR IS NORMAL THAT IS THE ROOT OF YOUR HAIR. AND FOR THE WHITE RESIDUE I HAVE THAT AS WELL I WASH MY HAIR WITH THE CLINICAL STRENGTH HEAD AND SHOULDERS AND I ALSO RINSE MY HAIR WITH LEMON WATER!!! IT HAS ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTIES.
It seems like more than one problem is being discussed here.

I have the wax or gel like sheath around the part of the hair under the skin. It is usually not painful but can get infected and the sheath part gets thicker and can be painful until plucked. It is not all of my hair or most of it.

I have a medical background. It is in no way a normal part of the shaft or follicle. It easily doubles the diameter of the portion of the shaft below the level of the skin. I can get a spot of blood after plucking a leg or mustache hair with a thicker sheath.

I also have eczema. It appears to be associated with my eczema which can be quite bad at times, so my skin is frequently itchy. It appears to be an autoimmune process. When my eczema is under control due to topical medications or oral corticoteroids, the hair follicle situation goes away.

Other than it being unusual, it does not cause me any difficulty and appears to be an odd symptom related to my eczema/inflammation rather than a separate problem.
After years of searching, I have finally identified a bug/larvae I've been seeing in my apartment. The last year I have suffered from scalp redness, tenderness, red spots, red bumps with salt like granules at the end of the hair, black blue looking hairs that are thin then texture gets thicker, tingling like crawling, itching and hair thinning, hair loss, oily flakey and irritated scalp, black dots underneath hair and over all itchy skin. I was diagnosed by a GP and a Derm with Seborrheic Dermatitis and put on a corticosteroid solution and dhs shampoo. After bloodwork I was diagnosed with iron deficiency and put on an iron supplement. Long story short I am now SHOCKED to learn about ANTHRENUS VERBASCI, carpet beetles known as fabric eating insects who feed on fabric, wool, pet hair, human hair, carpet fibers and live behind walls, baseboards, in the attic, in birds nests and around windows signaling infestation. Carpet Beetle Dermatitis is years of exposer developing hypersensitity. Testimonials from others have exact same symptons.....I was speechless!
oh wow.  i've been going nuts trying to find out what;s going on with my hair and here you are describing it almost exactly, except i havent got the rectal hair.  but what is it?  it's been a year since i started getting the irregular thickness of my shaft, and now i've cut my hair man-short, i hate my hair being  shorter than shouldr length!  i wish this would heal and go away so i can be pretty again!!