Half black toenail
for the past few months my big toe has been black, but just on the side that is next to the other toes, it has not grown out and there has been no injuries, what could it be?  I am getting really worried
Discolored toe nail can be due to two reasons.Firstly, it can be due to a prior injury. Discoloration as a result of prior injury means that there is trapped blood under the nail. This trapped blood can cause blackening of the nail.In order to release it, a hole must be drilled into the nail. This is difficult and dangerous to do without the proper knowledge and equipment. So it is advisable to get it done by a podiatrist.
Secondly, it can be a fungal nail infection. Fungal nail infections are difficult to treat,may recur often and effect toenails more often than fingernails. The risk of getting a fungal infection is increased by closed-in footwear, prolonged moist skin, and minor skin or nail injuries. Diagnosed by fungal KOH cultures of the nails and skin scrapings around the nails. Treatment includes topical anti fungal creams or gel.

In my opinion,pls get it evaluated by a podiatrist and then start with the treatment. Physical examination is necessary for making a diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.