Hands and Feet infected with boils

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hands and Feet infected with boils

When I was 11 years old in 1957, I developed a nasty rash and I'm curious if you have an idea of what it was. One morning I woke up with a huge boil in the palm of my hand. It contained clear pus.
Within about a month the scores of boils were all over my hands and feet. Including boils on the soles of my feet preventing me for walking. The rash did not spread beyond my wrists or ankles. Some boils were the size of a quarter.
By the second month, the boils were extensive all over my hands and feet. The pus was now milky in color. Like I said none of the boils spread beyond my hands and feet.
Multipule doctor's visits did not diagnose the root cause. Lots of creams and other topical "stuff" were prescribed but no explanation as to what it was.
I am sure that with today's knowledge base there would be a quick diagnosis.
It lasted about 5 months; several months required me to stay off my feet...
Then just as suddenly as the rash appeared, it disappeared.
The scars were not severe or permanent though I lost one hand nail which did grow back.

Any ideas as to what this might have been?
One possibility could have been hands, foot and mouth disease which is a viral infection. Symptoms of fever, poor appetite and sore throat can appear three to five days after exposure. A blister-like rash on the hands, feet and in the mouth usually develops one to two days after the initial symptoms.

The other possibility is of any bacterial infection causing pus filled sores on the hands and soles and a culture sensitivity should have been done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.