Hard, itchy bumps in genital area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hard, itchy bumps in genital area

Two days ago, several hard bumps formed under the skin in my genital area. I am female, and these bumps are on the mons pubis (the area with hair, not in between the labia). They are small, slightly red, and now appear to each have a tiny pinprick on the top that is grey-ish brown-ish. They itch at times, and are tender to the touch. They do not stick out much above the skin. They are grouped in one small area, just about five or six of them.

Could these be folliculitis? When I saw them I immediately freaked out worrying it was herpes...but I just couldn't figure out how I would have gotten herpes. I have had only one sexual partner ever, and he had never had any sexual partners before me, either. We've been together for several years, and neither of us have ever had herpes symptoms. The last time we had sex was two weeks ago.

I'm also having occasional painful urination since this started, and the lymph node between my leg and my genital area is very inflamed (on the same side the bumps are on).

Could this all just be a staph infection? These bumps don't remind me at all of cold sores...they seem deeper down.

The day before they showed up I did a pretty intense exercise routine that I ended up being super sweaty afterwards, and had worn tight stretch pants during. Not sure if that could have caused some irritation? I never shave that area, so it isn't razor burn or anything.

If this isn't clearing up by tomorrow, I'm going to call my doctor, but I was hoping for some opinion in the meantime.

Thanks very much!
The bumps can be due to irritated hair follicles due to the stretch pants and the urination symptoms can be due to urinary tract infection. Wear plenty of fluids and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. If the symptoms persist then STD’s like herpes has to be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.