Hard Lump Under the Skin Near Nostril

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hard Lump Under the Skin Near Nostril

While washing my face a few days ago, I felt a hard lump under my skin near (under) my right nostril. It is not painful at all, is immobile and is about the size of the tip of my pinky finger. I had my GP look at it, and she said if it were an abscess, it would be painful. She thought it may be a calcium deposit, and to be on the safe side, she had me have x-rays done of my sinuses, with the reason being due to a suspicious palpable mass. The x- rays, of course, came back that other than a slightly deviated septum, there was no evidence of a mass and that my sinuses were clear. I was told not to worry about it, but, obviously I am, as it was not there before. I occasionally get a pimple every now and then near that nostril, but this almost feels like a pimple that hasn't surfaced, just getting bigger under the skin. The fact that it doesn't hurt and is immobile is what scares me. Should I get a second opinion from an ENT? I just want to r/o anything cancerous, as I have hopefully caught it early. Any information would be very much appreciated.
The lump that you have observed can be a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains keratin. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected, then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your response. I had a sebcious cyst once before, and that is what it feels like. I will consult my dermatologist as you have requested. I appreciate your help, and I will keep you posted.
** sebaceous--- oops!
Dear Dr. Kaur,

Before Christmas,  I made an appointment with my dermatologist. The earliest appointment they could give me was January 14th. Hopefully this won't be too late. The lump is still there, but does not feel like it is getting any bigger.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.

All the best and a happy new year. Regards.
Thank you very much, and all the best to you and yours, too! :)
hey trixie 1970,
did you ever find out what this lump was.  My daughter has the same thing that you are describing, and we are going around in circles with many different drs. to find out exactly what it is.  I would appreciate any input you can give.  Thanks!