Dermatology Expert Forum
Hard nodule under skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hard nodule under skin

Hello, I have a concern about a small hard knot in my left inner thigh area in fatty tissue. I have had it for about two years with no change in size (apprx. < 1/2 cm). My concern is how hard the lump is. My physician said unless it grows not to be too concerned about it. I can move it around but feels a little attached right under the skin. Is this a lipoma, liposarcoma, cyst? Thank you
It's probably a cyst of some sort.  The only way to be sure, of course, is to remove the lump.  However, clinical observation is often enough.  The fact that the lump hasn't grown in all this time is of course reassuring.

My advice to re-cosnult your doctor.  Any reservations on his or her part would mandate removal.  But if there's no clinical doubt, you can leave it alone.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff