Have a recurring ringworm like rash, please help?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

8538787?1353508363
So I am now 21 years old and have been fighting this rash for five years now. I once went to the doctor and they told me it was ringworm, gave me some sort of cream for it that hardly worked. Then a friend said to use Lamisil AT which worked for a time but eventually stopped.

The rash typically flames up in the winter, starting as nothing but itchy skin on my shins, but even if I don't touch it it'll still show up. Usually around mid-spring I'm able to get it to disappear, but once again, winter rolls around and I have to fight it again.
- I usually figure the summer sun just makes it start considering sometimes it makes my shins itch.

It ONLY spreads on my shins and others who have come in contact with it, including touching, rubbing, or scratching, have never caught it.

It does not always itch, I can go some days without trouble but when it does start to itch it can become unbearable, making it hard to sleep, or relax in any way,

From your symptoms the possibility of lichen simplex chronicus needs to be ruled out. Lichen Simplex Chronicus is seen in people with eczema. It is non contagious. It is treated like chronic eczema by decreasing water and soap contact, and applying emollients. Topical steroids are almost always needed to control the symptoms. You can use mild steroid cream like Dermacort and if the symptoms persist then high potency steroids and oral steroids may be needed.
My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.