Help - strange mole
I have had a small mole on the side of my nose for a year or so.   It may have started as a freckle, but it has slowly grown, not much, and developed a much darker spot in the middle, almost black and slightly raised.  The dark middle spot has actually dropped off twice now.  The last time it gradually came back and seemed to grow back larger.  Two days ago, the dark spot was a little swollen and while washing my face, the dark part came loose and so i pulled the rest off. Then it bled and it has bled easily since.   Does this sound like something I should be concerned about?
I have lots of moles all over my body and I know that puts me at higher risk for skin cancer...
Pleas answer!

Moles, or nevi, are frequently removed for a variety of reasons. They can be removed by 2 surgical methods:

- Excision (cutting) with stitches: Click here to view step-by-step photos of this type of mole removal.
- Excision with cauterization (a tool is used to burn away the mole): Click here to view step-by-step photos of this type of mole removal.

Although laser has been tried for moles, it is not usually the method of choice for most deep moles because the laser light doesn't penetrate deeply enough.

Any change in the mole in size etc should be a cause of consultation with your doctor immediately, but the chances of cancer are very less at this point of time.

Typically, the doctor or dermatologist (a skin specialist) may choose excision with or without stitches depending on the depth of the mole and the type of cosmetic outcome desired.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for this and then decide the further plan of management.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.