Dermatology Expert Forum
Help- Shiny raised bump on head of penis.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I developed a shiny slightly raised bump about 1mm wide on the head of my penis and am nervous about what it could be.  It is painless and feels a little harder than the skin around it.  The bump is just inside (forward of) the outer rim of the head of the penis.  At first I thougth it was a scab (from too much friction) and it sort of pealed off with a little help from me.  Then it formed again.  I don't think it is a wart because a few years ago, I had a wart on my hand (which eventually fell off) that was raised and shot straight up.  That is, the skin around the wart on my hand was not raised and it shot straight up.  Kind of like this on the sides "| |" while the one on my penis is more like this on the sides "/ \", but even less steep and not that raised, with a center of about 1mm.  I don't think it is herpes because I am paranoid about diseases and extra careful and get tested once a year to be extra cautious.  I also haven't had any sexual encounters in 9 months.  Do you have any idea what this could be?  Should I be cautious of doing anything?  If it is a wart can I try one of those Over the counter wart/callus/corn removal (like Dr Scholls or Tinamed with Salicylic Acid 17%)?  It doesn't hurt at all, it is just a little shiny and raised.  Is it contagious?  Can it spread on my own body?
I think you are looking too hard.  It sounds like a friction bump, not a wart and certainly not herpes.  Please leave it alone, don't examine it minutely, and don't put acid on it.  If it persists for a few weeks, show a doctor, just for peace of mind.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, pimple spot on penis glan was started.