Dermatology Expert Forum
Help, weird skin spots.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Help, weird skin spots.

I was hoping that you could help me identify some strange spots on my skin that I have noticed.  I noticed the first ones about 9 months ago.  The first two are on my leg the started out as sort of a redish-brown color and have now faded to a yellowish-brown color.  I have another on my back and my foot that are the reddish color, the one on my foot seems to be fading to yellow-brown as well.  I have two on my breast and one on my arm that were the yellow brown to begin with.  I now also have a couple more on my leg that are the reddish color.  The one on my back is slightly raised, all of the others seem to be flat.  They are all pretty small and most of them are round one on my leg is an oblong shape  They don't hurt or itch.  Any idea what these could be??  I have looked all over the internet at skin spots and problems and I can't find anything that looks like what I have. Could these be a sign that I have an HIV infection.  I know that one symptom of HIV is skin spots but are these the kind of spots that appear.  I am planning on getting tested soon but would like an idea of what these spots could be.
I'm afraid your description doesn't ring any bells.  They don't sound particularly HIV-ish either.  When it comes to spots, you can't diagnose 'em till you see 'em.  Please show them to a skin doctor, so you can find out what they are and probably ignore them and not worry.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. After surfing the web a bit more I came upon uriticaria pigmentosa and am wondering if it is possible that this is what these spots are.  They become inflamed when rubbed or exposed to heat, i.e. a hot bath or hot tub.  Could this be what I have?  I am planning on going to the doc but can't get an appointment for a few weeks.
Urticaria pigmentosa starts in childhood, for the most part.  If your doctor considers this, he or she may recommend a skin biopsy.  Nothing urgent, in any case.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, spots was started.