Dermatology Expert Forum
Help: Gen Warts Questions
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help: Gen Warts Questions

Doctor, first - thanks so much for your forum.  The information is very helpful and comforting for a group of people who are generally scared out of their minds when they write in (that includes me).  I have a couple of questions:

1. How long does it take for genital warts to raise above the skin, once you notice a potential wart?  I recently read a men's health magazine that talked about how warts can appear years after a sexual encounter, and have since been inspecting my genitals very closely.  About 10 days ago I noticed on the top side of the head of my penis, a roundish area about 1/16-1/8" that looked to be a different shade (lighter) than the surrounding skin.  I have checked it maybe 3,000 times in the last 10 days, and it does not appear to be raised (I cannot feel a raise by smoothing my finger over it), even though I have noticed that my skin down there is rather bumpy once you take an extremely close look.  I fear one of these times I check it this little area will no longer be smooth but will have raised.  I am pretty sure that this was not there before.  (My working assumption is that actual warts are clearly above the skin, and are detectable to the touch.)

2. Can genital warts be contracted in either of the following ways: by "fingering" a girl (would the warts appear on the finger or the genitals), or by having a girl spit on the penis during a hand job?  (Info has been confusing - I read a lot about "skin to skin" contact - which I assume must mean "wart to skin" contact, but nothing about saliva to skin).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  I'm going out of my mind.