Hematoma won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hematoma won't go away

Hello, I fell over mountain biking about 5 weeks ago and hit my side really hard on a log.  Bruise covered almost a square foot and I'm pretty sure there were at least 2 cracked ribs.  I feel fine and everything has healed, except for a bump that is about the density of a flexed muscle on my side about an inch or two above the bottom of the ribcage.  I think that this is just a hematoma, but wanted to know how long I should wait before getting it checked out, what I could do to help it dissolve, and what to look for that would be a complication.  I have no insurance, so avoiding a Dr's visit is ideal.
It can be a hematoma. Apply warm compresses and take some oral anti inflammatory drugs after consulting your doctor. This should be totally reabsorbed by the body in three weeks or less.
If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from your doctor. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.