Dermatology Expert Forum
Herald's Patch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herald's Patch

Yesterday I noticed small red spots on my arms and chest. During the day these spots progressed to my stomach, groin area and back. Today I went to employee health and they stated I had Herald's patch on my back, they stated it was a viral dermatitis which would need to 'run its course', which could be 4-6 weeks. It itches a little, not enough to complain about. What should I expect as it progresses? Should I do anything, but wait? Where would this come from? Where could I find more information, is it called something other than Herald's Patch?
The "herald patch" is not a diagnosis, just the "herald" spot of pityriasis rosea.  This common rash affects mainly young people, on their torso and arms and legs.  It hangs around 4-6 weeks and goes away.  No "bug" has been found, and it's not catchy.  No treatment is needed.  You generally just get this once.  For more info, check out http://www.dermnet.org.nz/.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Avatar n tn
Thank you for the information. It helps to know what the condition is really called. Wow, never thought 46 as being 'young people'. (Ha!)